Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Hand Quilting >

Hand Quilting

Hand Quilting

Old 07-17-2010, 03:09 PM

What beautiful work you do! Can you tell me about your hand quilting.....do you have a large floor frame you put the quilt into or do you quilt with it on your lap? I have only just begun quilting but have already taught myself how to hand quilt and just finished a table runner. Wasn't perfect but I think I did a pretty good job keeping my stitches even and in the neighborhood of 8-10 per inch. I find hand quilting to be very relaxing and loved having the project to work on while watching tv or something to take with me when I was away from home. I hope someday I can put together some work that is as beautiful as yours :)
Old 07-17-2010, 03:17 PM

YOUR HANDQUILTING IS FABULOUS AND YOUR QUILTS ARE WONDERFUL. I PREFER TO HAND QUILT, BUT I SEE THE NEED FOR THOSE WHO MACHINE QUILT ALSO. :)

i agree that machine pieced and hand pieced quilts need to have their own categories. 8-)
Old 07-17-2010, 03:19 PM

ALL OF THE QUILTS SHOWN HERE ARE LOVELY.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by rhueluna
Originally Posted by Ellie'sNana
I love your work and agree with you about the art of hand quilting. Machine quilting is stunning but there is an intimacy about hand quilting that is unique. I would love to do more hand quilting and am trying to teach myself, which is not easy. I've looked at different instruction books but I'm not sure which to try.
I just taught myself. I can't use a frame as its too bulky and slows me down. I baste it really well, and quilt it in sections or strips instead of the entire quilt at once. It works much better. Just a running stitch as small and evenly as you can make them and running the needle between the layers to go from place to place without knotting for each little space. Its hard to explain. If you make a small knot, and pull it through the top layer into where the batting is, you have no knots to hide. I wished I could show you myself, but that isn't possible. Good luck, I am sure there are good sites out there that maybe will show you. Maybe Youtube has something about hand quilting.
Thank you for the encouragement. I'm going to keep trying. Maybe someday I can post a picture.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:37 PM

Wow do you hand piece also ,your hand quilting is beautiful.Wish I had your talent and skill. :-D
Old 07-17-2010, 03:40 PM

Oh my!!! I am speechless! Your work is amazing!
Old 07-17-2010, 03:44 PM

You do beautiful work and your hand quilting is simply awesome. I wish I had the patience to quilt by hand. thanks for sharing. :-)
Old 07-17-2010, 04:57 PM

I was at a quilt show last weekend and there was only one hand quilted quilt displayed. I love to hand quilt and most of my quilts are handquilted with the exception of some of the baby quilts that I know will be washed often. Your handquilting is beautiful.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:08 PM

Your work is absolutely beautiful. I have been quilting for just 5 years now and only do hand piecing and hand quilting. It is a wonderful feeling of accomplishment and the piecing is so portable, too. Keep enjoying doing your wonderful skilled work. Phyllis Carol
Old 07-17-2010, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by SandyMac
Wow do you hand piece also ,your hand quilting is beautiful.Wish I had your talent and skill. :-D
Yes, I love to hand piece. My Dear Jane is all being hand pieced. I tried the paper piecing and was miserable. Hand work works for me. And its therapy for me. I take the work with me when we travel and get a lot done hand piecing on the road. it goes faster than you think. Try it, you may be surprised on what you can do.