Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Hand Quilting >

Hand Quilting

Hand Quilting

Old 07-17-2010, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by brookemarie19
I'm so confused on doing this in strips. I am starting the Farmer's Wife Sampler and decided to do this by hand from start to finish as that is what was done in the 1920's, but I have no clue how you would be able to do this in strips without it being obvious or really noticable. Thanks for any input you could give me for this.
The only place its noticable is on the back because you can see its done in sections. But on the front it looks the same. I do the blocks in the back so it isn't noticeable there either. Did you see the strip of butterflies I did? Then I would make another one like that. Sew right sides together on the quilt top layer only, trim the batting and then fold the backing on top of the other piece and slip stitch across. Works great for me. Its the only way I will go as I don't do well with a big bulky frame. I tried it all.

I am working on a Dear Jane which is similar to the farmers wife one. Here is the first section, although I am going to add the edge triangles before I quilt that section. Then I will proceed to make the next 4 rows with the edge triangles on those, quilt it and attach it to the first one.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-75388.jpe  
Old 07-17-2010, 12:41 PM

Very impressive!
Old 07-17-2010, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by rhueluna
Originally Posted by brookemarie19
I'm so confused on doing this in strips. I am starting the Farmer's Wife Sampler and decided to do this by hand from start to finish as that is what was done in the 1920's, but I have no clue how you would be able to do this in strips without it being obvious or really noticable. Thanks for any input you could give me for this.
The only place its noticable is on the back because you can see its done in sections. But on the front it looks the same. I do the blocks in the back so it isn't noticeable there either. Did you see the strip of butterflies I did? Then I would make another one like that. Sew right sides together on the quilt top layer only, trim the batting and then fold the backing on top of the other piece and slip stitch across. Works great for me. Its the only way I will go as I don't do well with a big bulky frame. I tried it all.

I am working on a Dear Jane which is similar to the farmers wife one. Here is the first section, although I am going to add the edge triangles before I quilt that section. Then I will proceed to make the next 4 rows with the edge triangles on those, quilt it and attach it to the first one.
Wow! That is amazing!
Old 07-17-2010, 01:34 PM

I love your work and agree with you about the art of hand quilting. Machine quilting is stunning but there is an intimacy about hand quilting that is unique. I would love to do more hand quilting and am trying to teach myself, which is not easy. I've looked at different instruction books but I'm not sure which to try.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ellie'sNana
I love your work and agree with you about the art of hand quilting. Machine quilting is stunning but there is an intimacy about hand quilting that is unique. I would love to do more hand quilting and am trying to teach myself, which is not easy. I've looked at different instruction books but I'm not sure which to try.
I just taught myself. I can't use a frame as its too bulky and slows me down. I baste it really well, and quilt it in sections or strips instead of the entire quilt at once. It works much better. Just a running stitch as small and evenly as you can make them and running the needle between the layers to go from place to place without knotting for each little space. Its hard to explain. If you make a small knot, and pull it through the top layer into where the batting is, you have no knots to hide. I wished I could show you myself, but that isn't possible. Good luck, I am sure there are good sites out there that maybe will show you. Maybe Youtube has something about hand quilting.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:58 PM

absolutely gorgeous.. I have a friend in calgary that also likes to do this ;).. I love the first one !!!
Old 07-17-2010, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by janice4
absolutely gorgeous.. I have a friend in calgary that also likes to do this ;).. I love the first one !!!
Glad you like it. Lots of work.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:27 PM

I'm so jealous. Beautiful work. I took a hand quilting class and gave it a good try, but I just don't have the talent. I think that's why I'm in awe of those who do!
Old 07-17-2010, 02:46 PM

I love your exquisite quilts. I hand quilt and seeing these quilts done under the hand of a truly masterful, talented hand quilter have given me both inspiration and resolve. Thank you for posting your wonderful work. I much prefer hand quilting to machine quilting. I also think that, from what I see in quilt shows, that many times, machine quilting that often seems overdone to me, tends to distract the eye away from the quilt, the piecing and even the colors.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:03 PM

your work is such an inspiration! I am hand-quilting my third quilt right now, but it is the first one I have handquilted. It is slow going, and I think that is why so many enjoy the machine quilting. I think that hand-quilting and machine quilting each have their own place in this world and that each have their own beauty. I am always in awe of hand-quilted items! It is so amazing! In the quilt I am currently hand quilting there is not one even stitch and not straight line of stitches, but I love it anyway, and plan to keep at it.
Thanks for sharing your work!