Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Hand Quilting >

Hand Quilting

Hand Quilting

Old 07-15-2010, 03:19 PM

Wow..what beautiful work. I am very new to quilting and for me, I must confess, I wouldn't have the patience to hand quilt so I machine quilt..as best I can :) I do appreciate those who do hand quilt though
Old 07-15-2010, 03:44 PM

I think you are a goddess of hand quilting! Like you, I would also like to see more hand quilting at the shows. I think it will soon be a forgotten art form, and that's a real shame. It gives a quilt a completely different look. There's room for both; they're just different. But I have to admit that I really love the hand quilted ones like yours!
Old 07-15-2010, 03:53 PM

I like all the variations of quilting...tying, hand quilting and machine quilting. Each creates a different look and some tops just cry out for one or another to get the effect you're aiming for. I have not yet learned how to machine quilt and am not sure I will like it, although I've seen some really awesome work by those of you who do it. To me hand quilting is the slow steady traditional way that speaks "handmade" to me. Even if I machine piece, I still like hand quilting or tying as the means of finishing the quilt. Not a fast method though! Although I heard a story about someone at a quilt show who professed to being able to hand quilt as fast as any of the machine quilters...she would certainly beat me for sure!
Old 07-15-2010, 06:29 PM

I am a handquilter too. But I admire the FMQ on the longarms, that too is an art. I know I couldn't do it.

But following a pattern with a machine is too commercial for me. IMHO

I do miss handquilting at shows, there is so very little anymore. I really notice the piecing, but never really pay much attention to the the machine quilting unless it is FMQ.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:30 PM
Power Poster

Wow, beautiful work!
Old 07-15-2010, 06:44 PM

Amazing wonderful beautiful. I deeply admire handquilting but I have arthritis and can't hold a needle well. Fortunately there are people as gifted as you to keep the handquilting tradition alive.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:50 PM

The larger quilt shows do judge hand and machine quilting separately.. Was in Knoxville yesterday and they each have their own categories. There were lovely quilts in all of the different classes.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:03 PM

Your hand quilting is gorgeous and a true art form, your quilts are stunning. I would hand quilt if my hands weren't in such bad shape. Two surgeries, more to come, arthritis in my fingers and wrist problems. If my hands didn't hurt so much I would be doing hand quilting as well. Hand sewing is so relaxing, helps to relax me and relieves stress. I'm happy to be able to machine piece let alone do all the other stuff. Still having fun and can't complain. There is always someone who has it worse.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:04 PM

You asked what is happening to all the handwork????? We don't have time...we're on the internet all the time!!!!!!!!
Old 07-15-2010, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
You asked what is happening to all the handwork????? We don't have time...we're on the internet all the time!!!!!!!!
LOL :thumbup: :shock: