Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Border Creek Station mystery quilt 2011 >
  • Border Creek Station mystery quilt 2011

• Border Creek Station mystery quilt 2011

Old 09-17-2012, 11:23 AM
    Power Poster

You can start playing with your stash fabrics ... and see what you can come up with.
    Of course you can buy all the fabrics ... though always nice to take some from the stash!
    Old 09-17-2012, 11:49 AM

I know I do have some nice fabrics, it's just that I don't know if I can come up with 9 different ones which will go together. So off to my stash first thing tomorrow
    Old 09-17-2012, 11:56 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Anael
    I know I do have some nice fabrics, it's just that I don't know if I can come up with 9 different ones which will go together. So off to my stash first thing tomorrow
    Start with some and go from there ..... or just buy all new!!

P.S. ... check out the post I'm going to make to the International Patriotic thread in a few minutes!
    Old 09-17-2012, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by YukonViv
    Here is my fabric line up, 1 through 9.
    I know crazy eh?

I'm going to call it the Colours of September in the Yukon. Seriously, all these fabrics are in my yard and all around in the mountains. Even the hint of cream could be the snow at the top of Grey Mountain which is just outside my living room window.

Nothing safe about this colour line up LOL. (edited to add, I hope these aren't too big)
    Your fabric choices make me want to jump on a plane and come bask in your beautiful landscape: they are fabulous!

I wish I could do the Mystery but our local quilt shops don't carry the line of fabrics and never do "outside" mysteries or quilt-alongs. Our choice of fabrics is severely limited on this island: it's a darn good thing I love batiks!

I can hardly wait to see everyone's blocks as you work through the clues. Not to mention the quilt at the end!
    Old 09-17-2012, 12:19 PM
    Power Poster

Welcome HouseDragon!!

I'm not sure where your Island is, and whether there are any possibilities for you with LQS' a little further, but not so far away. The BCS website does have a listing of the LQS' that are involved in the Mystery.

Another option would be the link that YukonViv provided and perhaps you could work it out with them.
    Just some thoughts ... and maybe it'd work for you?
    Old 09-17-2012, 12:29 PM

Hi.... I am doing my first Mystery Quilt - it is called "Just Around the Bend." We also meet twice a month, just to pick up our clues and hints. So far, my clue has been to purchase fabric and then cutting..... I picked up a beautiful rust/orange/green leaf print for my accent/focus fabric and then for dark, went with rust and for light went with a buttery yellow. We have our next clue on the 19th.... very, very exciting.
    Old 09-17-2012, 12:34 PM
    Power Poster

Have fun with your Mystery, StasaLynn!!
    ... you might want to check out the BCS website and see if anyone in your area is offering this year's BCS Mystery and then you could work together with us on it.
    Old 09-17-2012, 12:44 PM

Aloha! I went and changed my profile to show I live on the beautiful Garden Island of Kaua`i.

Can't figure out how to show a photo under my name, though.

We have three shops: A "discount" fabric shop filled with non-quilting fabrics and a limited (to me, anyway) choice of quilting cottons. Of course, there are lots of Hawaiian fabrics and a nice array of Kona solids but the owner's choice of quilting cotton patterns isn't "my" taste (except for the very nice section of cat fabrics). The second shop has a stunning number of my favorite batiks and lots of oriental fabrics. The third is quite small but has a nice selection of oriental, batiks, and some Moda fabrics (yea!). There are no reproduction fabrics (Civil War, 1930s, etc.) available at all.

I've been criticized for buying online and pigging out whenever I'm on the mainland. Whatever!

Sorry! I detoured ....... I need to think about contacting the shop-link and finding out the postage if I choose the lap-size quilt: it can be horrendous to Hawai`i if a Flat-Rate Box isn't used (USPS USA). Do you have flat-rate international boxes in Canada?

Old 09-17-2012, 12:54 PM
    Power Poster

Aloha HouseDragon! ... maybe one of the USA shops would work with you? NOt that the link YukonViv gave wouldn't be possible, it;s just that the shipping within USA is a lot less than from Canada. Now get this ... it sometimes costs us more to ship within Canada than from Canada to USA!

Another thing to remember ... As I was explaining to Anael, for this mystery you do not have to use their fabric. You can use from your stash or buy local, so you wouldn't have to deal with the cost of shipping fabric. Good Luck ... and perhaps you'll get it sorted out and join us?
    Old 09-17-2012, 12:59 PM

Those shipping costs are weird! I'll never understand why there's so much difference between shops who ship the same amount of fabric. One time I had to pay tripple from what I had to pay to another shop and both are in the US. That's a mystery too!

I forgot to ask, do you have to pay to get the clues?