Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What Are We Organizing Today 2023 >

What Are We Organizing Today 2023

What Are We Organizing Today 2023

Old 07-22-2023, 02:43 AM

WMU- How do you store and sort your 2.5 inch squares?

Got 2 bags of scraps re-homed (thank you to those who gave them a new homes) got all my Batik scraps sorted and placed in bins and yardage wrapped on comic boards. Sewing has been elusive for me, I like to spend at least 2 hours at a time sewing, but life has other ideas. Sorting and organizing I can do in smaller chunks of time, everything is looking much neater now and I have enjoyed petting fabrics.
Old 07-22-2023, 04:59 PM

tallchick, this storage method has worked for me for 4 or 5 years. The boxes are approximately 13 X 9. I label the bins with painter's tape, a lighter color would have worked better. Each bin holds two colors and if I keep the little 2.5s in stacks, I can get several thousand per box. It is also easy to see if I have an abundance of one color or very few of another color.

Over time, I have begun to keep strips that are 2.5 wide in the same color boxes. I seem to be finding patterns that need 2.5 X 5 or some other length. I can always cut a 5" strip just once if I need that color/print as a 2.5 square.

I started years ago storing my 2.5's in zip lock bags but for me that was messy and hard to search for what I wanted.

I try to keep on top of my small scraps by cutting them into 2.5 squares or strips as I finish projects. For me, that works but it took time to figure our how make it all work for ME. No marathon cutting like you did recently .
Attached Thumbnails 2.5-storage-.jpg  
Old 08-15-2023, 12:11 AM

spam report
Old 08-15-2023, 04:38 AM

Post by SameulChukwezi is reported spam
Old 09-20-2023, 07:18 AM

I never thought I'd be able to say it, but my scraps are organized! It happened as a result of the 'Do you feel guilty when throwing away scraps' thread in the main forum. It struck me how dumb it was to be afraid of one's scraps, LOL.

I went through each bag and gave most of them away, because we don't have much space for scrap storage, and because I've switched to traditional methods for HSTs and QSTs. I found the space for two 5-tier drawer units. I have strings in one unit, and larger pieces/wider strips in the other. Now i can actually access my scraps!
Old 09-21-2023, 07:19 AM

Fantastic!!! Congratulations on getting those scraps in order!

Rob
Old 09-21-2023, 01:22 PM

Yea, Joe's Mom. What an accomplishment! Now .... get to the machine and start sewing them up so they can disappear to new homes in the form of quilts or other "stuff".
Old 10-10-2023, 08:45 AM

I used a tall cabinet for bolt storage and I moved the bolts to another place. Top of the cabinet is open shelving so I moved my UFO’s onto the shelves. I have room for about 6 and they’re in plain sight so I’ve actually been working on them. Yes !! Last night I completed 25 hour glass blocks because they’re easy to access now. (this gets me over the half way point). My hope is to get all 6 off the shelf then replace with patterns and pulled fabric for future projects.
Old 10-10-2023, 12:28 PM

Good job Tranum!

Rob
Old 10-10-2023, 05:08 PM

Good plan and accomplishment Tranum! I did a little clean up today while waiting for the President to address the nation. I walked in the room and really "SAW" it. Mess, mess mess. In about 5 minutes it was in much better condition and I packed a bag of fabric for the "give away" table at my retreat this weekend.It if all goes home with other, it will be about 10 yards out the door. No plans to bring anything home. I have what I need except for backing fabric for specific quilts. I did find a chunk of fabric from years ago that will become the back of another Christmas quilt. Yeah!