Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Feeling left out. >

Feeling left out.

Feeling left out.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:33 AM

wow what a bad experience I belong to 2 quilt groups and everyone is very friendly they are just groups, or clubs, not guilds. I joined a sewing guild several years ago and they were not very interested in welcoming newcomers. so I know how you feel,after the 3 rd time of being just barely acknowledged I never went back. It took a long time before I tried again but the 2 groups I belong to now are wonderful. so I guess the moral of this story is don;t give up.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt4u
MI was feeling left out at my guild. I use to love to go . And loved to join in the charities they did . And the trips they took I just loved to go on . And then some one came up to me and said you made that. it seemed I had been blacked balled for some reason. No one was sitting with me and when I changed my table I was asked to move. Made me take a good look at the guild it self. I never went back the next year. To many were quilt ploice or were just to rude. and many made you feel not wanted. When I firt joined it was not that way. I guss to many people now.
Find a local Project Linus group, or perhaps a church group that makes quilts for others. I have found great support among these groups. They are more interested in helping others than judging someones quilt. They are the truly beautiful people!
Old 05-02-2010, 04:04 PM

fabric-holic, AMEN!!
Old 05-02-2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric
(won't let me join them because I'm a man)

(that guild is descriminating and that's not right)

It's much more than that. It's unlawful.
More specifically, it's unconstitutional, and that's a lot more than unlawful.

They cannot do that to you.
I agree that since they are a 501(c)3 non-profit organization under IRS tax laws, they are probably skating on pretty thin ice since the IRS requires that non-profits follow federal non-discrimination laws. So if they were challenged, I imagine they would have a problem on their hands. Additionally, the local (taxpayer funded) library hosts their quilt shows each year, so it seems that it would be a pretty difficult thing to defend your position of hosting shows for a group that discriminates against the very people who pay taxes to support the library and thus enable their shows.

But, it's a relatively small town here (about 25,000), and I've lived here all my life (49 years) and plan to spend the rest of my years here as well, so I'm not going to cause a ruckus. They'll simply be known for what they have chosen to embrace.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:28 PM

Eddie that is very sweet of you but, I would make sure that those people in that guild are known for there descrimination. Don't let them get by with it.

Cookie
Old 05-02-2010, 05:33 PM

Imagine the fur that would fly if you started a guild and your bylaws said NO FEMALES....( not that I'm suggesting you DO that.)
Old 05-02-2010, 05:36 PM

I would do just that.

Cookie
Old 05-02-2010, 05:59 PM

ok, here it is. Both my brother and nephew served in Iraq (2 tours each). I , personally served in the Gulf in '91 (am a nurse). Knowing, first hand, that blankets that fit Army cots are nearly impossible to come by, I made each of them their very own "war quilts". Brother's was K.C. Chiefs on the back and patchwork patriotic fabrics on the front. Nephew's was the same patchwork on the front and the K.C Royals on the back. This would have been enough to thrill him, but at the time we lived in KC. The old (85 Royals team that won the world series that year) team were doing an autograph signing, so we took the quilt and asked them to sign it. OMG ! ! ! Nephew was, beyond words, thrilled! Both were machine quilted, by me. Neither would have passed inspection by the QP. Don't care.

I am new to my area and truly have no friends in this state, so I went to ONE guild meeting. Although I have been making quilts for more than 35 years, I don't need their intimidation and although almost everyone here (at this web site) is wonderful and amazing, ... there are a couple of the regulars here, that if they don't give their blessing on your creation, you won't get many responses to your post. Just MHO
Old 05-02-2010, 06:02 PM

That's exactly why I don't join our local guild. Besides, they charge hefty "dues" and I'd rather be with friends. There is another one about 60 miles away and the locals here would rather travel than stay here with the snobby ones. I've been thinking of starting a friendship guild, with the only requirement being you must be nice person!
Old 05-02-2010, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by JackieG
the only requirement being you must be nice person!
I think that should be rule #1 in all guild bylaws! It's really not that hard to be nice to people. :D