CHRISTMAS CLUB IDEA >

CHRISTMAS CLUB IDEA

CHRISTMAS CLUB IDEA

Old 08-18-2010, 07:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by flybreit
Originally Posted by Sue Fish
Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
I am going to make rice bags for the guys. My friend is a massage therapist & says these are great for the athletes.
I have made those and "cool ties" for hot weather and handwarmers ..all make nice gifts..

Lots of experience here with cool ties (just sent 45 to Afghanistan!).

How do you make your hand warmers?
I just sew 4 1/2" squares turn and fill with long grain rice..I liek pinwale cordoroy or a good thick flannel... microwave for 90 seconds on high
Old 08-18-2010, 07:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by flybreit
Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Great idea....I wa just thinking how hard this Christmas is going to be...........I'm not working much. I need ideas for young guys, like 17-25!!!!!!! Cant think of a thing to do Hm and not too expensive!
One neat thing that I came across a while back was cool ties. If any of these young men are atheltic they'll love them!! Also, they're good for yardwork, etc for the olders folks too!! :lol: I fit into that catagory. :(

http://www.watersorb.com/polymer_cool_neck_bands.htm
Thank you SO MUCH for posting this link - so much info and great directions! I'll be 'paying it forward' to some others who sew for our troops.
they are great for gardeners, joggers, hikers etc too
Old 08-18-2010, 07:20 AM

This site has free projects, and if you decide to join (requires a yearly membership) lots to make too........enjoy......calla/Sue
http://ajpadilla.com/freebies
Old 08-18-2010, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

Help please!

Looking for patterns on how to make those microwave rice bags to use like a heating pad to use on your body.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:43 AM

Google rice bags- many great ideas!
Old 08-18-2010, 07:43 AM

I have made so many flannel sleeping pants and shorts for my 3 girls that I ended with a lot scraps of fabric to play with. I now have a quilt that is squares of all the fabrics from their pants over the years. They love looking at the crazy fabrics they picked when they were young! It is so warm and a great quilt!
Old 08-18-2010, 08:19 AM

one of my most treasured gifts was a bundel of 3X5 recipe cards filled out with MBFs fav recipes. I can just picture her sitting in her easy chair night after night hand writing out all those recipes. one of the recipes is for her pepper jelly. (She was a hair dresser and gave each of her clients one jar each of (green) pepper jelly and a (red) jar of pomagranet (sp)jelly.) the cost in $ was so low, but they are priceless to me. She also added some blank cards for me to fill with my recipes.
A gift my MIL gave her son, was a note book with his fav, recipes so when he was on his own he could cook up his fav dishs. She wrote out step by step, directions for him.
Today we can do it all up on the puter, print them out and put them in a note book in page protectors..( then each page can be removed from the note book and used, holding it on fridge with magnet, so handy, and will not get soiled.
Wal-mart has white note books for about a $1, each you can make out cover pages on your puter to print out, and slip in the cover on front and back.
I made several note book recipe "books" for my mother, all her pie recipes in one, meat dishs,main course in another, ect. ect. and any loose recipes can be slipped in the page protectors. so make sure you add extra page portectors.
A low cost idea, for both men and women, but with lots of thought.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 08-18-2010, 08:28 AM

A few years ago, I made wine glass rings using circle earring blanks, small beads and charms. I found baskets at garage sales and even found a ton of small wine glasses at a garage sale (were used at a wedding ceremony). Each person got 2 sets of rings, one Christmas, one everyday (sets of 6), six of the wine glasses (I paid .25/each for them). I put all that in the baskets with some shredded filler, a nice candle and some cookies. I then wrapped it all in celephane paper. Everyone loved them and it didn't cost me much either.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by jazzy519
Ive done the cookies in a jar recipes place in a basket with oven mittens or pot holeders, cookie cutters, wooden spoons and kitchen towels.
My grandkids and I do this (they don't know that's when Mommy and Daddy shop/wrap!) and then that is their gift to everyone. They have a great tim designing gift tags on the computer too! We do them in the little jelly jars, then cut a round of Christmas fabric to go under the ring. Cute!

I've also done Russian tea mix and 'Herman' starter - the generations younger than me think it's something brand new

:lol:
Old 08-18-2010, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by moonrise
Originally Posted by libbyb
Do you knit, scarves, hats and mittens are always a good idea for the guys.
No, I don't know how to knit, unfortunately. I'm learning to crochet, but all I can make so far is a Granny square. :mrgreen:

Good idea, though! :thumbup:

Granny squares will make great scarves!