Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ owners, please notice User Defined Topic List >

EQ owners, please notice User Defined Topic List

EQ owners, please notice User Defined Topic List

Old 04-26-2011, 02:14 PM

Still having problems. Maybe its the fabric itself, just too big a print. I got it to save as a bmp but it was huge, didn't even fit the screen. Tried reducing it but it became so distorted the colors changed.
Sure appreciate the effort! Chris
Old 04-26-2011, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by seweasy
Still having problems. Maybe its the fabric itself, just too big a print. I got it to save as a bmp but it was huge, didn't even fit the screen. Tried reducing it but it became so distorted the colors changed.
Sure appreciate the effort! Chris
Ok download Irfanview

http://irfanview.com/

I scanned in a pic of my flower and I used it in place of your large pic.

My pic is 1536 x 2048 I right click and find open on the menu. Open with Irfanview.
then you need to find Image at the top in the list of links across the top. Click on Image
Find the word resize in the menu
Depending on how big your pic is you can click on half and decrease the size of your pic by half to start with. Then if you want to crop down to just your center you click at the top left corner of your chicken was it? and pull the lines down over your chicken. then go up to edit and find the crop it on the menu and click on that.

Now if you have it the size you want it go to file and find save as in the menu. You now have a smaller version of your pic and you need to save it in a file where you will be able to find it when you get ready to put it in your EQ.

I had to play around a bit with the size of my pic to find the right size for the block in my EQ.

It is harder to enlarge one than it is to reduce the size. Enlargeing has a tendency to spread the pixels out too thin and the pic doesn't look as good. That may be a feature that might work better in Paint. I just like the ease of Irfanview.

When you save your pic make sure you check that you are saving it in BMF file form. It is the first one listed in my Irfanview menu when you click on save as.

If you want to try this and need help let me know!
Old 04-26-2011, 06:16 PM

Thanks, Rhonda! I will try it. Chris
Old 04-26-2011, 06:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by seweasy
Thanks, Rhonda! I will try it. Chris
One more note. When I copied the pic into my EQ you only see a small part of the pic. When you have it copied into the sketchbook you can then see it in your fabrics. Once you put it in your block you can use the symbol that looks like it has 4 arms(LOL I don't remember what it is called) and you can move the pic so you can center your Chicken? in the center of the block. LOL I went to look and it is called a fussy cut tool.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:11 AM

I have posted another tutorial:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-119200-1.htm.

These are the directions for importing fabric into EQ7. This will help those who have the newest software.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:24 PM

I'm trying to figure out the yardage requirements for each border and also for the backing for a quilt I've designed. It doesn't seem to separate the borders. Can't color borders, so that makes it tough. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 04-27-2011, 02:48 PM

Well, when it comes to figuring out the backing, that would be the same size as the quilt, everything, plus several inches on each side and end. If your quilt is more than 40", you have to measure the length and multiply it by 2, because you will need 2 lengths sewn together to entirely cover the back, but you would have some left over.

About the borders, have you drawn your quilt on EQ? If you just want border fabric sizes, you could just color the quilt one color and make the borders another color. This is kind of what you have to do for 5, but 6 & 7 can figure it out.
If you've used 2 different colors, then, EQ should print out 2 different measurements of colors. I don't know if this is helpful or not. Please let me know if it doesn't, Judy
Old 04-27-2011, 02:54 PM

I can't figure out how to color the borders.....thanks for the response.

OK, I have found out how to color the borders. And I now have the yardage for those. Thank you again.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:05 PM

You're welcome! Another time, I will do a tutorial on coloring, but I'm glad you figured it out. Judy
Old 04-27-2011, 04:10 PM

I have 5 6 and 7 EQ and silly me have never learned to use them. Need to read some of your tutorials.