Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ owners, please notice User Defined Topic List >

EQ owners, please notice User Defined Topic List

EQ owners, please notice User Defined Topic List

Old 02-18-2011, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
I somehow ended up with an extra fabric in the Fabric required chart. Don't know how that happened!
If you are swapping colors directly on the full quilt image, it is easy to pick up a very close shade thinking that it is the one already used. If that happens, the program treats that as an entirely different color.

It's often hard to distinguish between two close shades on some computer monitors. Even when I know how it happened, I sometimes have a hard time locating the offending bit.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:42 PM

I just purchased EQ6, still waiting for delivery, and I really would like to join this group to learn about this program. Any tips would help.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:29 PM

I have had EQ7 for 3 weeks now. I'm not that smart in computers, but I did manage to download the Moda jelly roll fabric to the library. I designed a quilt and painted in the fabrics for each square. I did have sashing between the columns and a narrow border all around the quilt. I haven't been able to go back and add an additional outside border onto the design. Anybody know how to do that? I know what I'd like the EQ7 to do, but it doesn't take verbal commands, nor does it like how I phrase my help questions. :?:
Old 02-19-2011, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by eastermarie
I have had EQ7 for 3 weeks now. I'm not that smart in computers, but I did manage to download the Moda jelly roll fabric to the library. I designed a quilt and painted in the fabrics for each square. I did have sashing between the columns and a narrow border all around the quilt. I haven't been able to go back and add an additional outside border onto the design. Anybody know how to do that? I know what I'd like the EQ7 to do, but it doesn't take verbal commands, nor does it like how I phrase my help questions. :?:
Hi Eastermarie,

What you want to do is easy but not obvious. Bring up the quilt (as opposed to the block) worktable. Below the quilt image you will see a row of tabs marked "Layout" "Borders" "Layer 1" etc. Click on the Borders tab. It will bring up the quilt layout with a menu table at the right. At the very top of the menu table you will see "Select Border" and right under that a little window with 1 of 1 in it. Right below that is an "add" button. Click to Add button and you will now have 2 of 2 showing in the little window above it. Make your border changes in the fields below and save. To go back to working on the quilt itself just click the Layer 1 tab at the very bottom.

If you're are still having trouble with this, pm me and I'll try and send you a screen shot.

Diana
Old 02-19-2011, 03:37 PM

I just got my EQ7....I am so lost!
Old 02-20-2011, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by grannyQ
I just purchased EQ6, still waiting for delivery, and I really would like to join this group to learn about this program. Any tips would help.
Take your time going through the lessons. Local classes would be good as well as "Quilt University" online classes.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:40 AM

I have EQ6 and I am still learning how to use the program. I find the videos that come with the software helpful to watch.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by quilting memaw
I just got my EQ7....I am so lost!
Hi quilting memaw,

Stitchingramie is right in suggesting the tutorial videos that come with the package. They are good for giving an simplified overview of what the program can do. It can be very confusing if this is your first foray into Computer Assisted Design (CAD). There is a learning curve, but once you get proficient in the basic "language" of the program, it is pretty simple. I would also strongly recommend doing the mystery tutorials on the EQ website. They make learning the specific aspects of EQ a lot more enjoyable.

I personally find the computer help files difficult to work with, but then I'm a paper kind of person. I bought a couple of the EQ5 books, which I am still find helpful. The underlying concepts are still the same.

Hang in there. I'm sure you'll like it once you get some time with it under your fingers. And there are no dumb questions. I'm sure someone here can help with anything you post.

Diana

Diana
Old 02-20-2011, 02:49 PM

Hi! Everyone, So glad to see the newcomers, hope you'll post questions and those "haha" moments when you finally figure out how some function of EQ works. I took Diana advice about the mystery lessons, and its how amazing how much easier they are than the manuals. I don't know if they write too much info into the manuals or what but I found I had a harder time with them. I thoroughly understand EasyDraw now!
Just a tip, before I started each new lesson; I went through the lesson with a highlighter pen and marked each step, each time the instruction said to Click. It made reading and trying to follow the instructions much easier. May try this with the manuals and see if that helps.
Hope everyone had a great weekend. The weather here is windy but a beautiful day! I hope the trees don't start blooming too early and get hit by a freeze. Chris
Old 02-20-2011, 02:52 PM

I have EQ5 and really enjoy using it. As I make quilts the laborious way, by hand, I don't get to make enough quilts to justify upgrading.