Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ owners, please notice User Defined Topic List >

EQ owners, please notice User Defined Topic List

EQ owners, please notice User Defined Topic List

Old 02-23-2011, 04:01 PM

So far I'm having fun with EQ6. Am halfway through lesson 2 in the user manual. May try the mysteries on the eq site next.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:28 PM
Banned

I have EQ5, 6 &7!
I have yet to install 7 because the EQ don't want to answer my transfer questions! I have had it a year now!

I love EQ5 the best. EQ6 has issues and despite the 3 classes I took online, nobody could explain WHY 6 did something that 5 did not. It takes away from the program, as what it does in 5 is more valuable.
Anyway...

My take on EQ is this..you do NOT have to master the program. It is really easy to use for everyday stuff.
Like: I have a large stash, I want to make something of my own design using just my stash..I go to EQ and start designing using different block sizes, quilt sizes, borders, etc...and bam..my own quilt!

I also love to use it resize blocks..or to draft blocks so that they can be paper pieced! This is super handy and helps a lot of people out..they call and ask me to draft and bam...new blocks!

quiltuniversity has the best online classes, but I think they are only doing 7 now!

By the way for what is worth, if you do not machine embroidery or applique, then 7 is not worth the money..it is geared mainly towards those 2 things and less on everyday quilting!
Old 02-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by eastermarie
I have had EQ7 for 3 weeks now. I'm not that smart in computers, but I did manage to download the Moda jelly roll fabric to the library. I designed a quilt and painted in the fabrics for each square. I did have sashing between the columns and a narrow border all around the quilt. I haven't been able to go back and add an additional outside border onto the design. Anybody know how to do that? I know what I'd like the EQ7 to do, but it doesn't take verbal commands, nor does it like how I phrase my help questions. :?:
when you are in the border section box there is a tab at the top to "ADD" or "DELETE"...make sure your mouse is in the last border you added click to highlight it and then add another one!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by tomilu
So far I'm having fun with EQ6. Am halfway through lesson 2 in the user manual. May try the mysteries on the eq site next.
Hi! Tommie, I would recommend that you finish the manual but I believe I learned more from the mysteries. Not exactly sure why, but I just seemed to retain the info better. It seemed like there was less wording and more direct step by step doing the work. Sometimes when things are "over-explained" then it actually makes it harder to understand
The work is worth is it! Chris
Old 02-24-2011, 04:44 PM

Hi! Well, I finished the course and graduated! Got my guilt to look just like Skylights on the website. Oh, so proud of myself!!!
Now, my question is, how do you learn what blocks go well with other blocks? I've tried looking at quilt mag. and websites to see if there some common rule to follow when combining different blocks. I know alot depends on what you like but wondered if there is a way to judge before the quilt goes to next stage of deciding what fabrics to use, if the blocks go well together.
One thing I've noticed, I picked up one of the manuals,EQ5 Quilt Design; and I'm finding the manual much easier to read now since doing the mystery quilt. I'm so glad Linda and Diana suggested do the mystery quilt! I want to know is there more I can learn??? Chris
Old 02-25-2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by seweasy
Originally Posted by tomilu
Hi! Tommie, I would recommend that you finish the manual but I believe I learned more from the mysteries. Not exactly sure why, but I just seemed to retain the info better. It seemed like there was less wording and more direct step by step doing the work. Sometimes when things are "over-explained" then it actually makes it harder to understand
The work is worth is it! Chris
Thanks, Chris. I plan to finish the manual and perhaps go back and do some highlighting. I'm just taking my time and having fun, not making it a chore.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:55 PM

Hi! Tommie, the mystery lessons even suggest that you go through the lessons and particularily the one on Easy Draw. I never thought I would want to know how to draw blocks but I can see where it might come in handy, especially if you saw a block you liked and couldn't anything like it in the Libraries.
I was thinking about purchasing Block Base but I got to thinking with all the blocks that are free on sites like Quilters' Cache that could re-drawn in EQ, I really don't think I would need more blocks than that.
Couple weeks ago I purchased the Town and Country Patchwork program and discovered on the EQ site that I could add the blocks that come with the program to the EQ library, so that was a few more blocks and some really nice ones. Love the buildings in this program, especially the railroad depot and train design. Can see doing that for my grandson!
Well have a nice weekend. Take care, Chris
Old 02-26-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by seweasy
Hi! Tommie, the mystery lessons even suggest that you go through the lessons and particularily the one on Easy Draw. I never thought I would want to know how to draw blocks but I can see where it might come in handy, especially if you saw a block you liked and couldn't anything like it in the Libraries.
I was thinking about purchasing Block Base but I got to thinking with all the blocks that are free on sites like Quilters' Cache that could re-drawn in EQ, I really don't think I would need more blocks than that.
Couple weeks ago I purchased the Town and Country Patchwork program and discovered on the EQ site that I could add the blocks that come with the program to the EQ library, so that was a few more blocks and some really nice ones. Love the buildings in this program, especially the railroad depot and train design. Can see doing that for my grandson!
Well have a nice weekend. Take care, Chris
Where did you find the T&C program? Sounds interesting. I have been doing FWS blocks this am. Its cold and drizzling outside, so a good day to study EQ. Enjoy the weekend.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:25 PM

Hi! It was a gorgeous day here in so.east Alabama but I bet the weather you're having will be here in a few days! We need the rain though so it would be great.
I bought the Town&Country program from EQ. A few weeks ago I found it on sale, not sure if it still is but I also found it at Amazons, http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...try+&x=11&y=17 at a better price than what I paid for it. Think I paid about $2 more at Electric Quilt site.
The other piece of EQ software I want is Sue Spargo Folk Art. I saw a real neat tote bag made with designs from the program. Of the other programs, these two and Block Base were the ones I thought I would eventually purchase. Sort of put Block Base on the back burner for a while.
Hope you got some studying done!!! Take care, Chris
Old 03-15-2011, 02:02 PM

I finally got the EQ6 installed and have been going through the lessons. It looks like a lot to learn but I'm sure going to try a little bit every day. Thanks to everyone for putting their tips on line. Hope to add that I would like the one for EQ6 by itself for help.