Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ owners, please notice User Defined Topic List >

EQ owners, please notice User Defined Topic List

EQ owners, please notice User Defined Topic List

Old 03-27-2011, 04:43 AM

I'm trying without much success to Easy Draw a block. The block itself is 16" but is comprised of 2" HSTs. It is the Amish Buggy Wheels block pattern.

When I put 16 in the block size it reverts to 4" snap. Since my blocks within the 16" are 2" should I be putting 2" in that block space? If I do that; it says the snap goes to 4". This block is just made with 2" HSts and solid 2" blocks. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Old 03-27-2011, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandyl
I'm trying without much success to Easy Draw a block. The block itself is 16" but is comprised of 2" HSTs. It is the Amish Buggy Wheels block pattern.

When I put 16 in the block size it reverts to 4" snap. Since my blocks within the 16" are 2" should I be putting 2" in that block space? If I do that; it says the snap goes to 4". This block is just made with 2" HSts and solid 2" blocks. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Do you have a picture of the pattern? What version of EQ are you using?
Old 03-27-2011, 06:46 AM

I'm using EQ7. Here's the block I'm trying to duplicate.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-50718-1.htm Ninnie has supplied a great picture of the block and I thought it would be easy enough to do. I am so anxious for the lessons in EQ to begin in Quilt University. I need them as I sure am not able to follow the manual.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandyl
I'm using EQ7. Here's the block I'm trying to duplicate.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-50718-1.htm Ninnie has supplied a great picture of the block and I thought it would be easy enough to do. I am so anxious for the lessons in EQ to begin in Quilt University. I need them as I sure am not able to follow the manual.
I don't have EQ7 but I do have 6. I don't know how they differ but what I would do is set the grid for 8 lines across by 8 lines down. Then use the line tool (the arrow) and put in the lines for the HSTs where and the direction you need them to go. I am sure you have something that does the same thing in 7. Then add your colors to the quilt block.

You need to change the grid before you can do the size of blocks. It will stay with a grid of 4 until you fix that to 8. You don't want 16 you have 8 blocks to a row with 8 rows. so you need 8 as the horizontal and 8 as the vertical lines. In mine you set the size of the whole block not the individual blocks within the quilt block. Now that may be a differance between 6 and 7. I don't know.

I would
Check the size of the grid-- make it 8 x 8
Put in the lines for the HSTs
Put in the color and save it
Check to see where you choose the size of the quilt block and change it to the size you want which is 16" x 16"

These steps may vary a bit between 6 and 7 but I think they should be relatively the same just probably in a differant place in the program from one to the other. In 6 there is a grid tool at the bottom of the list of tools in the Block worktable. I just changed the number to 8 in both places and clicked on the corner of the grid box and drew the grid across the box to the bottom corner and let go and it set the grid.

Let me know if this helps any. There are lots of EQ7 owners on here and you will probably get others who can give you more precise directions for using 7
Old 03-27-2011, 11:36 AM

Ok, thank you I will give that a try. I so want to learn this program. After I make the first 8 x 8 block each of the other 3 blocks look to be the same and I can then flip them when I do the actual quilt layout, is that correct?

Tried it and my center lines disappeared!
Old 03-27-2011, 12:41 PM

Ok, I figured out that I have to draw the entire block and not just the diagonal lines. I don't feel quite so dumb now. Thank you again, Rhonda.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

You're welcome. I tell quilters it isn't about being dumb it is about something you just didn't know. We don't all start out knowing it all. We all started out at the same place - knowing nothing about quilting until you practice and try things. I learn entirely by trial and error. I have to do it wrong a few times before I get it right!! I've been quilting for 30 years and I still screw up!
Old 03-27-2011, 10:27 PM

Sandyl, the picture of the quilt that Ninnie provided is a great block, had never seen an Amish buggy wheel block. And thanks Rhonda for helping her! That is a very interesting block, I think I might try drawing the block and try saving it in block library for later use.
This is the kind of discussion I've wanted for so long about EQ, because we all can learn so much from each other. And Rhonda, you are so right about starting at the same place. That is what I love about this forum, I've never felt a least bit intimidated by anyone, everyone has wanted to help. I don't believe my level of quilting(even as slight as it is!!!) would have progressed as much as it has without the tutorials that are on this forum. Chris
Old 03-28-2011, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

When I said I still screw up I had just gotten done redoing a Doll Quilt I was working on. I had to take a block out in two places and turn it around. And I had it half done at that point. A grrrr moment! LOL Then I did't get the sections the same size so they didn't go together right. I had to spend time fixing the seams so they would meet. I HATE taking seams out!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 03-28-2011, 06:00 PM

Somethng I learned :). I designed a basket quilt with the blocks on point. I couldn't figure out how to print the blocks and layout for the whole quilt. I could print the photo of the whole quilt. I could print the block of hte quilt...but I was as a loss for how to get those odd sized triangles on the edges. I finally found it inthe book and what you do is click the triangle and it highlights then you can print THAT block.

Something SO simple and all I had to do was look :)