Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ owners, please notice User Defined Topic List >

EQ owners, please notice User Defined Topic List

EQ owners, please notice User Defined Topic List

Old 01-22-2011, 01:02 PM

Have new question! I wanted to print rotary cutting instruction for a 4" block. In Layout and Layer 1 it said the block was 4". I didn't realize that I had to change it too, printed it and was following the measurements when I realized that was going to be to big a block. Is that problem others have noticed but I would thought would have been set when the block size was selected.
Good thing I was cutting larger than wanted I really needed, I would have had wasted fabric! Chris
Old 01-22-2011, 01:08 PM

I have EQ7 (had it since it was EQ4) and I'm just starting to explore more advanced options. I'll help if I can but I'm no expert in it. :)
Old 01-22-2011, 01:12 PM

EQ7 doesn't retain the block size across its many locations. In other words, you have to set the block size in Block, Quilt Layout and in rotary cutting temoplate. I hope that EQ7 will fix this in future revisions. Once you set a block size it should be that in all of the places it is used.

Lanny
Old 01-22-2011, 02:33 PM

Hi! Lanny, thanks! At least I know to watch for that. Little aggravating though, its one of those things you'd think they figure out.
Pam, please share whenever you can. It will only help the group grow and people will realize that the group is here to help
I still haven't heard anything from Patrice or the lady who is the new Admin; I wish they'd let us know one way or other. Apparently Patrice has read the pm I sent her so I guess its just a sit tight and wait. Don't know what else to do! Chris
Old 01-22-2011, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by sharkee
I just got EQ7 and am taking a class thru quiltuniversity.com to learn how to use it. So far I am having a lot of fun but I have only been in it a week
I've also signed up for the same class. See you there :lol:
Old 01-26-2011, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by seweasy
Hi! Bucksie, So glad you joined the forum and us too. Its a great group of sewers! How long have you been using EQ and what version do you have?
I didn't realize so many companies had fabrics that could shown in EQ. I've not used the fabric libraries because I wondered how hard to find a particular fabric that you really liked. And I didn't trust my computer to give a true respresentation of the color in the fabric. I'm so used to working with what I can find in the stores, its hard to think about fabrics and buying without seeing them. Chris
Sorry, i haven't been online lately...Do you want me to share how i do it? of coarse i don't mind at all sitting at computer during my fabric download frenzies (spelL?) And i have discovered just how easy it is to just get EXACTLY WHAT I NEED for colors, however i think my next quilt i will be using fabric from same line..Yea, but when my quilts done, i will send you a pic of my EQ version and the finished version, and not much difference...plus, i like sites where the swatch shows the fiber...HEY i found yet another company today...."MAKOWER" .. if you look at the top bar (dark color) in mid way point...it says "free downloads" (which i did not see last visit)..and VOILE! there was all their collections set up the same way but with a zip file attachment for the collection!...they had quite a few collections from andover...N i am not a big fan of makower fabrics (only couple)..but I would say to all those fabric companies, retailers, who put their name across a swatch, or ruler, or don't let you in to preview fabrics, I WON'T BUY THERE! I love to see and work with the fabric, which i the ONLY reason i bought EQ (im sure i will find more)..So I remember the sites that offer zip files, or at least swatches that are worthy of import... Heck, i don't even mind cropping with btw download "irfanview" and using mouse to create a box to catch repeats (not on all fabrics) and edit>crop wont resize your swatch smaller then whats it's sapose to be (such as fab lib - easy, but with irfanview i can see every single swatch i import and can cut down on file size of imports.)

I love importing all the new fabrics (provided they are available in large jpegs...which my list of places has been growing every day.) with as many swatches as i have been able to download lately, I don't think i will ever have to buy "stash" again..plus i get only the lines i want, and only import to use (if EQ running slow) ...Me loose in a fabric store isn't pretty..thats when my adhd works against me..lol..

Let me know if you run into any other sites that offer zip file or nice size files, and if your interested i can share my list..maybe your not as crazy as i am over playing with fabric! yikes! (i can't get enough of gypsy bandana series....and california!)

Talk to you soon!
Old 01-26-2011, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by lllog
You can import Jpg, at least in EQ6 & 7 from the fabric library. Occassionally I have a patterns with large images that I want to use in a quilt. These I import as a photo so they will hold their sizes.

Lanny
or you can use irfanview...when you crop the repeat (if jpg is around 700 or below) it will not reduce but keep proportions as long as you CROP and not RESIZE... sometimes if jpg is 1000 the cropped part gets huge (esp if small area cropped out like a little dot combo you like) then i resize ... So my scales are proportionate ... jpg are photos..with very few places I go to get a good swatch, I make sure i can see the weave of the fabric..(unlike connecting threads where they look like super good color pictures of the fabric..its pretty, but i like to make my drawn blocks look as real as possible)...I only draw my blocks too, as i am so attached to modern quilts!!! in fact, thats what has engaged me to get serious about quilting..

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2011, 08:02 AM

Hi! Well things are back to normal now! I thought part of my EQ program got corrupted because I lost the User Library function in both blocks and fabrics. But after un-installing and re-installing it, I realized I had lost the color function in the block library. After putting the program back, I realized that I had been looking at black/white sketches of the blocks. They're supposed to be in color! Shows how much I know about the program!!!!
After all that I did plan out my first quilt and got it saved to the sketchbook! I feel like I'm making real progress!!!
I decided a few nights ago, that I wasn't going to spend money on tutorials without first really trying to take the EQ books one step at a time, to see if I couldn't make it throught them.
Always thought my biggest problem was trying to have some idea of what quilt blocks I wanted to use and how would they look together. But someone offered the best solution I've heard so far, save pictures of quilts you like and learn to design in EQ from the pictures. You start to notice the layout more, what blocks are used together and the color combinations. I think that would make learning the software a little interesting than just playing around with the examples in the EQ books.
Can't believe it's Friday. Have a nice weekend! Chris
Old 01-28-2011, 10:23 AM

Hi! Bucksie, thanks so much for the info. Just never how much how much that will help! Hope some day I might get to the point that I can help!!! Chris
Old 01-28-2011, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by seweasy
Hi! Suzanne, I know what you mean. I really don't care anything about using the fabric libraries because I wonder if I could ever found the fabrics they show. And I don't want to go shopping for fabrics with some preconceived idea of what I want and then can't find it. That would like trying to plan a quilt at the fabric store. I rather go with some idea of what color I want then go from there.
If there is anyone who has been using the program for a while, I have a question. I'm trying to learn how I can add my own fabric stash pictures to the User Library. I don't know how to change a .jpg picture to .bmp that EQ requires. I tried using my embroidery software that does change the formats but it resized the picture to fit the embroidery hoop. That probably was about 1/32th the size of the fabric panel I was wanting to add to the block I was working on and didn't help at all. Does anyone know how I can change the format .jpg to bmp? Thanks, Chris
Chris, do you have any photo editing software on your computer? Photoshop essentials or something that might have come with a digital camera? The best way to convert is to open your fabric scan image in one of those, convert it to 72 pixels per inch, crop it and under the 'save it as' choose bitmap.

Diana