Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ owners, please notice User Defined Topic List >

EQ owners, please notice User Defined Topic List

EQ owners, please notice User Defined Topic List

Old 01-19-2011, 06:48 PM

Hi! Diana, Thank you sooo much! Today I found the post that told that the Admin(Konstantin) was resigning as Administrator to get married. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-91403-1.htm
So I don't know if my email to Konstantin was forwarded to the new Admin but I thought I would write to Patrice and see if he might have turned the situation over to her for a decision as to what would done. Thought another reason to write was to find out if he even mentioned the seperate thread to anyone else.
To everyone else, please keeping posting! Diana has volunteered to help us, so that's make the most of her expertise! Or post about some "hahaha" moment when it suddenly occurred to you how the software works.
If we want a seperate thread, we have to show that there's a need, a reason for a seperate thread for EQ.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:07 PM

I just found another company that offers zip file fabric collection downloads for EQ users!! All I knew was that Moda (united notions), Connecting Threads, and EQ fabric of month were only places to download fabric swatches (other then saving jpegs etc)...I was going down a list of links for fabric manufacturers and found that NORTHCOTT fabrics, if you select "designers", will show all their collections thru Northcott and most (not all) but about 95% of all collections have button that comes up when select a collection from designer (over on right side pane)either saying "DOWNLOAD FILE/COLLECTION FOR EQ" or "DOWNLOAD HIGH RESOLUTION" - either way, your downloading the collection such as you would with Moda etc..Watch for some collections which offer 2 colorways, which will be in same right panel, under the download zip file button for more of same collection in different colors OH YEA almost forgot...ALSO, ANDOVER HOUSE has their colletions too, downloadable by zip file for all collections. If you click on designers, you CAN'T download all collections as zip files, HOWEVER, there is a little link (near bottom of page??? forgot) which says "DOWNLOAD COLLECTIONS AS ZIP FILES" which brings you to a scroll down menu of all collections (even ones I didn't see on designer pages - and collections that did NOT have a "DOWNLOAD ZIP FILE" I was able to find those here to download)----Maybe I'm living with dinosaurs and everyone else already knew this, but I was sooooooooo thirlled to find other places to download more fabrics that I wanted to share this!!!! (new today to the site...Question on 1/4" seams)..
Old 01-20-2011, 06:08 AM

Hi! Bucksie, So glad you joined the forum and us too. Its a great group of sewers! How long have you been using EQ and what version do you have?
I didn't realize so many companies had fabrics that could shown in EQ. I've not used the fabric libraries because I wondered how hard to find a particular fabric that you really liked. And I didn't trust my computer to give a true respresentation of the color in the fabric. I'm so used to working with what I can find in the stores, its hard to think about fabrics and buying without seeing them. Chris
Old 01-20-2011, 06:53 AM

My husband is the draftsman in the family and has worked with EQ5, 6, and the latest verison EQ7 update. I started with his help, and am using the EQ7 with its special extra disk from Amazon on Farmers Wife Sampler Quilt. I a new at using it, but love it and the company. They answer questions quickly and very nicely.

I have been posting my blocks with the FWSQ monthly block group here and love seeing everyone else's blocks. I work with my EQ7 designing each block, printing out an outline and templates. We scan in the materials we want too to design blocks or quilts. The tutorial books that come with EQ are very good at guiding one through their lessons...at least, we thought they were at getting us started.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

I have EQ5 and am happy with it so I don't 'need' to upgrade.

Maybe this will help you learn it?

http://doyoueq.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1269

http://doyoueq.com/phpBB3/index.php
Old 01-20-2011, 08:19 AM

I have EQ5 and love the way it helps me resize blocks to the size that I need. Love playing around with fabs to see if what I like in my head may look ok w/fabric.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:47 PM

Hi! Thanks to everyone who is posting. So glad to hear from those who still have V5! I'm not changing either at this point. Think I'd rather have the add-on programs.
I wrote to Patrice last night and sent a copy of the message I sent to Konstantin(Admin). Hopefully I'll hear something soon one way or the other about a seperate thread for EQ.
I'd like for us to sub-threads within the Eq thread so that the three versions can each have a seperate area. I think it would less confusing for everyone since each version is slightly different way of using the software.
Maybe tonight I can spend some time going through the manual again. Take care, Chris
Old 01-21-2011, 07:32 AM

Well, I got through the "EQ5 Getting Started" book without alot of trouble, most of it I remember but after finishing it I started on the "Quilt Design" book and I was captivated! I finally found what I have wanted to do most since I started quilting, that's the Irregular Grid quilt block shown on page 44 called Stars and Geese. I love the scrappy look of quilt, would like to do a mixture of geese and star blocks along with some of the blocks having some appliques. Its almost like a puzzle; the pieces are irregular in shape but all fit together in a quilt. If you don't have this book, I would recommend you try some of the used books sites like Amazon or Thrifty Books, I found mine on Amazon because EQ doesn't sell V5 books anymore. It was slightly used but that doesn't bother me!
Have a great weekend, Chris
I think this book will help me more than anything in planning new quilts because I have a hard visualing what something should look like but if I have a guide or picture of something I have something to start with. I would never be any good at designing something original but if I an example I know I figure out what I want. In the back of book, there are some amazing examples of borders and sashing designs, some are even blocks themselves used in a different way.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Anne P
I have EQ6 and am going to take a class through Quilt University soon. I have looked through the manual, but haven't done anything with it yet. I do have some ideas for quilts I'd like to make and want to "try" them out on the computer first. I'm also hoping it will help with figureing out how to resize blocks and patterns.

A thread devoted to it would be nice.

I'm taking the course too, it starts next Friday I think. Can't wait to see how my EQ6 works. I don't see the need to upgrade either. I think one of the cool things with EQ7 is that you can scan your fabrics into your library of fabrics. I think I saw a computer programmer mentioned on this board that came up with something in order to do that without EQ7. Not sure.

Have fun in the class, we'll have to keep in touch.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:57 AM

You can import Jpg, at least in EQ6 & 7 from the fabric library. Occassionally I have a patterns with large images that I want to use in a quilt. These I import as a photo so they will hold their sizes.

Lanny