Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Talk about an unnecessary item! >

Talk about an unnecessary item!

Talk about an unnecessary item!

Old 02-02-2011, 02:12 AM
Power Poster

that is beautiful...unfortunately...not true for all of us...some of us live near shops that will not part with the empty cardboard from their bolts...some shop owners would rather send them to the recycle center than to share them with a customer...some insist they use them at the shop and can not part with them...one even told me they (HAD TO) return them to the fabric supplier they use.
so although does make alot of sense it is not so easy and cheap for all.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by purplemem
The cardboards are NOT acid free. The cardboard will eventually leech onto fabric and discolor it. They use these at fabric stores because they have a good turnaround for fabric.

Fabric boards ARE acid free, and thinner. They will hold more fabric in less space.
Where do you get the acid free board's from? What are they called (Fabric boards?).
Old 02-02-2011, 03:42 AM

I think it's a great idea.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:16 AM

Jaciqltznok wrote: you might think it is good, but if you really look at it, and see the fold lines and discoloration you will see it is not.

I bought some pale pink cotton at JoAnn for a quilt for my GGD. When I started to use it, I found that it is discolored at the fold lines and unusable for the design I want. I don't know how long it was on the board. The discoloration was not noticable when I selected it or when it was being cut at the store. I should have taken it back. Now I try to look discoloration during selection.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:21 AM

My previous post was not a complaint because I figure when things like that happen, I should consider it a lesson learned. I really feel I should have returned it for my benefit and so the store would know what happened and remedy the problem for future buyers. After thinking more about it, it might be possible it was caused by fading from incorrect lighting or placement in the sun.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
that is beautiful...unfortunately...not true for all of us...some of us live near shops that will not part with the empty cardboard from their bolts...some shop owners would rather send them to the recycle center than to share them with a customer...some insist they use them at the shop and can not part with them...one even told me they (HAD TO) return them to the fabric supplier they use.
so although does make alot of sense it is not so easy and cheap for all.
ditto here, all the shops are the same here as well....they don't give away their cardboard bolts. Some shops have a recycling program of cardboard and they make some $$$ from recycling cardboard.

Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 02-02-2011, 05:52 AM

And the coroplast fabric boards are for sale on this site.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-94172-1.htm

They are really economical. Check it out...

A set of 24 for $12.00 +shipping
Old 02-02-2011, 06:00 AM

I was about to order some and saw the price, so I made my own that fits on my bookshelves. I simply took card board boxes and cut them down to the size of my shelves. That was free also.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

When I worked the fabric department for WalMart, the main problem we had with saving the cardboard for a customer, many times they didn't show up for a few weeks and we run out of room to keep them. The manager decided we weren't allowed to save them anymore. However, if a customer was there when one was emptied, we would definitely give it to them.

Originally Posted by stichinluvr
My WM and LQS won't part with them. Guess they'd rather send them to the landfill.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:46 AM

The fabric boards free from shops are also good for rolling large tablecloths on for storage. I've also seen them used like bulletin boards for pinning patterns and other things on. Handy by the sewing machine. The fabric creases more on the thin purchased boards than on the thicker free ones, and using these saves the landfills. But it's all a matter of preference.