Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Talk about an unnecessary item! >

Talk about an unnecessary item!

Talk about an unnecessary item!

Old 02-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by leatheflea
Humm...if cardboard is so bad for the fabric why do the manufactures use it? And I've got fabric thats 20 yrs plus been on cardboard since the it was manufactured still in good shape.
you might think it is good, but if you really look at it, and see the fold lines and the discoloration you will see it is not.

fabrics today also come to this country with no less than 70+ harmful chemicals on them to keep the bugs and mold from getting on them while being transported across the oceans...in the old days fabric did not have ANY chemicals on it....

so in theory the older fabrics on cardboard might fair better than todays fabrics do.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Banned

IF you are going to put your fabric on those cardboard bolts, then at least wrap them with foil covered with cheap muslin or old sheets first...protect your fabric!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:20 PM

I have been replacing my boards, also. I haven't been to look yet, but was told that Home Depot sold the large sheets of whatever those sheets are made of and you could cut a lot of them from one sheet. Also, the sign shops have them. Need to check into it further. I also was told that when fabric stayed on the bolts a good while, the dark could transfer to your fabric. Haven't seen that happen, but did see it happen with a table cloth I had my good cloth attached to.

Peg-TX
Innova 18"
Old 02-01-2011, 08:28 PM

This is what I do. Not everyone has the space to store 22" tall; I ask for a handful when I go to the fabric store and cut each one down 11 1/2" by the width - each cardboard bolt gives me four "mini" bolts that fit perfect on a bookshelf --- and better yet, they are FREE!!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Banned

if those FREE boards end up ruining your $10+ yd of fabric how good is that???

fabric should never be stored in air tight plastic, in direct sunlight, in a cedar chest/closet, on cardboard or bare wood...
Old 02-01-2011, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Originally Posted by purplemem
The cardboards are NOT acid free. The cardboard will eventually leech onto fabric and discolor it. They use these at fabric stores because they have a good turnaround for fabric.

Fabric boards ARE acid free, and thinner. They will hold more fabric in less space.
You beat me to it! The coroplast boards are acid free and thin.
Well gosh, you both beat me to it! I use the fabric boards because of this...and they save lots of space!
Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 02-01-2011, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
if those FREE boards end up ruining your $10+ yd of fabric how good is that???

fabric should never be stored in air tight plastic, in direct sunlight, in a cedar chest/closet, on cardboard or bare wood...
I would love to get the rest of my fabrics out of the plastic containers but right now that's my best option until I can get the fabric boards for it all. I have at least gotten my fabrics out of cardboard boxes (after a couple of them got wet with a leak in the garage last summer.) :-( :-( :-(
Old 02-01-2011, 10:38 PM

I wish I was so organized!! :-D
Old 02-02-2011, 01:30 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
they are not meant for permanent storage and the acid in them will harm your fabrics...

if you want to protect your investment, then do it the best you can.

I know a lady that uses a wide rotary ruler to wrap her fabric on, then places them on the shelf and pulls the ruler out, when she wants a certain fabric she uses a bread peel to lift the stack so she can pull it out!
I do this but not the bread peel part, I use an old ruler to lever up the stack. But then I don't keep much yardage as stash... When I'm folding round the ruler I count the folds - six equals about a yard. Then I pin a little bit of paper to the selvage with the yardage written on. :-D
Old 02-02-2011, 02:08 AM

Wow what a nice store you have?