Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Talk about an unnecessary item! >

Talk about an unnecessary item!

Talk about an unnecessary item!

Old 02-01-2011, 02:57 AM

There is only one time that I was denied a bolt board when I asked for it. Most places just automatically re-wrap my large quantities back on the bolt. I ask for the empties when we have 4-H projects. The kids wrap a scrap of batting around the bolt, then cover with their choice of fabric, then criss-cross ribbon around it to make a bulletin board, or picture holder. They're cute. I shared this idea with a large fabric warehouse where I occasionally stop when traveling. A couple of years later, when I stopped by, there where huge stacks of cardboard bolts with a Free-Take sign. When I checked out, the casher offered some of the boards, and told me about a lady who uses them for her scout group to make bulletin boards. (Further conversation revealed that I was the lady, but it was my 4-H'ers, not scouts.)

I do use them for fabric storage because I can lay the bolts on their sides, rather than standing on end, and get more bolts in less space. I can put the price on the end of the bolt, so the kids know what the fabric charge will be if they want to buy from me.

For short term storage, however, I prefer the folding bolts because I can cut them to reduce bulk, using only a single sheet of board. I leave the portion with the fabric description sometimes, if I think I may need to find the line again. What I like about the single sheets is that I can easily slide the cardboard out and make a single fold for shelving the fabric. When refold time comes, I can simply open the hole, shift the fabric 1/4 and let it fall flat, and fold in half the opposite direction. That does not address the center fold however. If I worried with refolding the center fold, I'd NEVER get any sewing done.

For the folks who want economy and go green - harvest the campaign signs after the next election. Usually all you need is a little sudsy swish in the bath tub to get them clean, let them sit there to drain, cut to size and you've done a favor for yourself and the community land fill. If you're timid about collecting the signs, just call the campaign headquarters - you'll get truck loads.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:17 AM

Or you can call your local DOT. I know here in the Tampa area these signs are illegal and DOT picks up corregated signs everyweek. My husband says they have a HUGE stack of them.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:28 AM
tmg

I have asked for them. I was told they needed them for reordering.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:37 AM

i use the free bolts from Joanns also..

but i cut them to the size i want..
Attached Thumbnails attachment-165675.jpe  
Old 02-01-2011, 03:40 AM

can you use heavy card board of any kind for fabric? How about shipping boxes that are still folded? As you can probably tell. Ijust fold my fabric and throw it on a shelf. am new at this and dont really have enough fabric to worry about organization yet. but never to early to start!
Old 02-01-2011, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Originally Posted by shequilts
I keep hearing about the boards used to fold and store fabric, and from what I hear, they're not cheap. Why not use the cardboard that bolts of fabric come on? I've used this for years and never spent a dime on a "board". They're free anywhere that sells fabric. I have closet shelves in my walk-in closet. They're three deep on the back wall and two sides. I have over 400 "bolts" stacked on end in this closet. I sort by color family and can easily "shop" for what I need. My only investment was for the shelves. The cardboards are replaceable for free.
I attached a couple of pics to clarify what I mean.
To be honest this is sort of an insult. To tell someone a product they use is unnecessary just because you don't use it is kind of insulting. Just because you don't use it, need it or want it doesn't mean nobody else should use it, need it or want it.
I don't think anyone is intending to insult you. We are just telling you what works for us. It is your storage, you can do it any way you want. I like my fabric behind closed doors or in drawers to keep the light away, that doesn't mean that is the only way to store.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
I asked for those at Walmart and Joanns but the won't give them away here!
My Joanns gives me as many as I will take. They are great for organization.

Roxanne
Old 02-01-2011, 04:36 AM

The Joann's in Virginia gives them away if you ask for some that are already empty. They are used for cardboard recycling that they pay to have recycled. If you ask for a few each time you go in and it is near the end of the day of a day when the clearence fabric is half off they usually have more then.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:37 AM

The Joann's in Virginia gives them away if you ask for some that are already empty. They are used for cardboard recycling that they pay to have recycled. If you ask for a few each time you go in and it is near the end of the day of a day when the clearence fabric is half off they usually have more then.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:39 AM

now that is one mighty fine stash!