Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My experience with Glue Basting. >
  • My experience with Glue Basting.

• My experience with Glue Basting.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:21 AM

Here is the link to Sharon Schamber's YouTube network: http://www.youtube.com/user/SharonSchamberNet/featured
    If you scroll down to the bottom of the first page, click on "next ten" to get to the second page and then again on the second page, the binding video is about mid-point down on the third page. It is called "Binding the Angel." Worth the look if you haven't seen it before and want to try her method.
    Old 07-26-2012, 10:14 AM

Here are half of my log cabins I had to do for a BOM. I really like the glue idea! I haven't had them come out so well before because I tend to stretch the fabric. Sorry it took so long to post
    Attached Thumbnails photo-2-.jpg  
    Old 07-26-2012, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by brookemarie19
    Here are half of my log cabins I had to do for a BOM. I really like the glue idea! I haven't had them come out so well before because I tend to stretch the fabric. Sorry it took so long to post
    Brooke, I love it! The fabrics that you chose for the centers are great; they catch and hold your attention as you then look over the rest of the block and continue to scan the entire quilt. You did a great job!!

I know what you mean about stretching the fabrics. I have the exact same issue. With the quilt blocks I recently made, using the glue prevented that from happening and my blocks are so square instead of rather wonky and out of sinc.

Thanks for posting and sharing.
    Old 07-26-2012, 11:06 AM

I also wanted to share with everyone what I found yesterday. Life is really hectic around here, because of a family member in the hospital...no details, just an apology for not posting sooner.

Stopped into a Dollar General store to pick up a few items for a lady who let hubby and I use her car, we do not have air conditioner in ours and here in West Texas (as with many other parts of the world) we are in the triple digets. Which makes any trip into town very unpleasant. Anyhows, while walking around trying to locate the items she needed. I spotted a can of ELMERS SPRAY ADHESIVE. So for anyone who does not want to mix up there own mixture or use the liquid for basting a quilt; this product is available.
    Old 07-26-2012, 11:08 AM

I should also state that I am in no way affiliated with Elmers Washable School Glue in any way. I just wished to share my thoughts and experience. I can not help it that I am per say now IN LOVE with it and can not rave enough about how it has helped me. LOL.
    Old 07-26-2012, 11:09 AM

I use washable glue all the time. It's easier for me and it works well for 90% of what I do. I used to rip out many of my joined blocks, now do that only occasionally. It has saved me a lot of time!
    Old 07-26-2012, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Evie
    Here is the link to Sharon Schamber's YouTube network: http://www.youtube.com/user/SharonSchamberNet/featured
    If you scroll down to the bottom of the first page, click on "next ten" to get to the second page and then again on the second page, the binding video is about mid-point down on the third page. It is called "Binding the Angel." Worth the look if you haven't seen it before and want to try her method.
    Thanks for the link and the specifics! It has been a short time since I have rewatched some of her videos. I do believe, it is time for a visit and a few videos.
    Old 07-26-2012, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle
    Ok, here comes the dumb question. How do you keep he seams lined up while getting it ironed and not get your fingers burned? Is there some tool you use? Could you picture this. I'm doing a Little 9 patch I'd like to try this on.
    In the past (when using stitch witchery), I've held seams together for ironing, by just sticking a pin straight through them, into the grid of my ironing board.
    Old 07-26-2012, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv
    I use washable glue all the time. It's easier for me and it works well for 90% of what I do. I used to rip out many of my joined blocks, now do that only occasionally. It has saved me a lot of time!
    I know after experiencing the wonderful results with these blocks alone; Elmers Washable School Glue will be a #1 priority in my sewing/quilting projects from here on. It does save a ton of time and stress. I only had to rip out two seams on this project and that was totally my fault. I was not paying enough attention and glued the seams, took it right to the sewing machine, sewed the seam and then realized when pressing it open that I had glued the seam on the wrong side. LOL.
    Old 07-26-2012, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie
    In the past (when using stitch witchery), I've held seams together for ironing, by just sticking a pin straight through them, into the grid of my ironing board.
    Never heard of stitch withchery, will have to do a search and see what it is. I could see doing this if you used the pins with just the little tips, but I would think with the colored ball kinds, I can not think of correct term, that the tips would melt. But, it would be easy to hold the seams in place doing it this way. I may have to buy me some of those pins.