Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Let's Organize Something Today >

Let's Organize Something Today

Let's Organize Something Today

Old 01-18-2016, 05:55 AM

I did about 20 mn of folding this morning before getting to work. I forgot to shut the door to the room last night, and one of the cats decided to try climbing the shelf. At least the fabric they knocked down had not been folded yet. It wasn't a lot, and hopefully the cat learned that is not a good idea. Though with cats, I doubt it

Lesson for me to make sure to close the door! It is my goal for that to basically be a "cat free" room. Only have a few of them in the house.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:07 AM

This thread has been a great inspiration for me. Yesterday my DD & I went to IKEA and I bought 2 Omar shelving units, came home, put them together, then put my bins of fabric on them. It is so wonderful not to have shuffle the bins around to get to the one on the bottom or even in the middle. My DH was surprised that we came home and immediately put the shelves together. That is usually something that will be set aside and done later - but I am determined to get my sewing room organized and better functioning. Now back to working on those scraps so I can send them off to my sister tomorrow. Scraps are coming out of the woodwork !!!
Old 01-18-2016, 11:13 AM

I'm finding it's much easier to shop from my stash having it all visible, rather than having to dig through assorted totes trying to find something (and I had them stacked 3-4 deep under the longarm frame). I even found something suitable for the UFO I'm currently working on. It helped that I needed a burgandy and had already pulled all my "reds" out of the mess.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
This thread has been a great inspiration for me. Yesterday my DD & I went to IKEA and I bought 2 Omar shelving units, came home, put them together, then put my bins of fabric on them. It is so wonderful not to have shuffle the bins around to get to the one on the bottom or even in the middle. My DH was surprised that we came home and immediately put the shelves together. That is usually something that will be set aside and done later - but I am determined to get my sewing room organized and better functioning. Now back to working on those scraps so I can send them off to my sister tomorrow. Scraps are coming out of the woodwork !!!
Good for you and DD ! Assembling furniture is never as simple as it looks. But what a difference a good solid unit or two of shelving has made. Getting things in order helps me be more creative. Clear spaces inspire me, which means making a new mess of course, and so the cycle goes. But getting rid of what brings my spirits down has been the best part. It's of no value to me if it's boring, depressing, reminds me of anything negative, etc. out it goes. Ciao, baby!
Old 01-18-2016, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
Great ideas here... Don't have much fabric to organize so it might be easier to start a similar system while it would be easier to put in place rather than waiting to organize a larger stash down the road. This has been a great post to follow, thanks Zozee
n

You're quite welcome. I had no idea this thread would become so popular. I mainly just wanted a partner or two to organize with virtually on New Year's Day. Looks like a bunch of us want company for the long haul!

Yes, do create a system while your stash is small. Make it suit your personality and space limitations. Everyone here could probably agree that systems evolve as the stash grows or living arrangements change. My personality likes things behind closed doors or in drawers, not on open shelves. Seeing a bunch of stuff out, even stacked neatly, is over stimulating. For others, the fabric on display, neatly stacked, is like artwork and gets their creative juices flowing.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:37 PM
Power Poster

I think you have more than a partner or two, zozee.

For me seeing what I have to work with inspires me..and yes get organized while the inventory is new...
Old 01-18-2016, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
Cool industrial ceiling! Is this a loft? Looks like you get great light when curtains are open. I'm curious about how you organize fabric. I see all the solids together but the others are more random. By collection? Approximate size? No order, just neatly folded eye candy?
It is a loft. Approx 88 ft by 26 ft. It has a slightly sloped ceiling the goes from 13' down to 11'. It has 16 windows, 14 of which are 8' x 4' (4 north and 10 west). I try to keep all my fabric on the west wall so it doesn't get any direct light.

Most of my fabric is ruler folded or on comic book boards. I tend towards 1/3 & 1/2 yard cuts but have a bunch of fqs. I tend to keep the fqs sorted by collection or color (I was in a color wheel & Cotton + Steel monthly club at Pink Castle for approx a year). The rest might be by collection, a fabric pull that I put back as a group, or just randomness due to digging through the stack.

I've decided to up the size I buy to at least a yard. More if I really like it or it would be a good with several projects. I've pulled aside my Lotta Jansdotter, Melody Miller (yardage is in the fabric bins in the pink ikea bookcase), etc fabrics and also my holiday fabrics. I have small stacks here and there of fabrics I might use together, adding to the chaos. I also try to keep my solids together but not in any real order.

Here is a better shot of the open bookcase - I am going to add a couple of tall Ikea Billie bookcases with the glass doors (you can put fabric or paper behind the first layer of glass). That should clean up the back of the sewing area that extends into the bedroom (a particular peeve of my spouse).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540553[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 01-18-2016, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise View Post
LOL I NEED 3 assistants to get it all finished in the first place.

I have about 45+ bins to still get folded onto the boards. That
doesn't count all the small and larger sizes of bins.
Zozee, I think this group needs to form a strike team to show up at each other's places and sort and file each other's stuff. It would be like a traveling slumber party. : )
Old 01-18-2016, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
Cool industrial ceiling! Is this a loft? Looks like you get great light when curtains are open. I'm curious about how you organize fabric. I see all the solids together but the others are more random. By collection? Approximate size? No order, just neatly folded eye candy?
It does get great light since the longest wall faces due west. Here is a shot looking away from my sewing area. For reference, my sewing area starts at window 6 of the 10 on that wall.

See 3 of my 4 sewing "assistants"? I don't have a door to close them away. It makes for some interesting cutting sessions.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540554[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540555[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 01-19-2016, 05:47 AM

Notwendy - I love your loft! And i really like the green panel divider.

I finished folding my reds last night - or at least I thought so. Decided I'd pull yellow/orange next and while pulling them out, found quite a bit more red tucked in here and there. So this AM I folding up those reds.