Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Mission: Organization
  • Let's Organize Something Today >
  • Let's Organize Something Today

• Let's Organize Something Today

Old 01-03-2016, 05:57 AM

Getting more insulation added to my attic, so had to remove some items from sewing room closet to get to the attic access door. I am always amazed when I find things I don't remember purchasing. I was going to purchase batting, but there must have been a sale a few years ago, as my closet has plenty.
    Old 01-03-2016, 05:59 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I sorted some patterns - anything with cats on it went into one box - anything that was a bag or tote went into a laundry basket for further consideration.
    I did not find the pattern I was looking for, though!
    Old 01-03-2016, 06:15 AM

Two years ago, we came home to a flooded basement ( where my sewing room is). l was so thankful l'd cleared my fabrics into bins and stowed my machine footpedals/cords etc. up on counter before leaving. After the painting/renos were done, l kept up my organizing by spending the last 15 min. of each sewing session putting away my tools, folding away access fabrics , and putting current project in a project box and/or on design wall. lt feels SO GOOD to walk into that room next day with a clean start! So if you want your tidying to " stick" make it a habit to clear up before leaving the room for the day.
    Old 01-03-2016, 06:23 AM

As to the scraps...to cut or not to... l chose to cut only the oddly shaped ends into strips, bricks, or squares...the largest each could make, ( and if any "wings" left over into next smallest).l stow those by size in baggies for "quickie quilts" . My tiny bits ( any shape/colour) that l love are kept in a clear shoe box size container labelled "schnibbles" for future applique. My larger scraps are folded in with my fat quarters by colour.
    Old 01-03-2016, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by stitch678
    Two years ago, we came home to a flooded basement ( where my sewing room is). l was so thankful l'd cleared my fabrics into bins and stowed my machine footpedals/cords etc. up on counter before leaving. After the painting/renos were done, l kept up my organizing by spending the last 15 min. of each sewing session putting away my tools, folding away access fabrics , and putting current project in a project box and/or on design wall. lt feels SO GOOD to walk into that room next day with a clean start! So if you want your tidying to " stick" make it a habit to clear up before leaving the room for the day.
    Yes a good idea. I hope I can stick to it. I don't want my room to get in such a mess again. Zozee I will take pictures and ask my son to help me learn how to post them.
    Old 01-03-2016, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I did not find the pattern I was looking for, though!
    Isn't that always the way! So often I look for something in the place where I KNOW I put it but it's not there.
    Old 01-03-2016, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by zozee
    Happy New Year, everyone. How about we start today by organizing something related to our sewing? Pick one area.
    I picked the rest of the house - I closed the sewing room door!
    Old 01-03-2016, 06:53 AM

Lots of great ideas. I organized one of my quilting closets when DH "fixed" floor in sewing room. The 15 min is great idea.
    Old 01-03-2016, 06:55 AM

Every year I vow to be more organized, I find inspiration on you tube. I have a couple v loggers {spelling?} that I particularly enjoy. They refer to purging. I've gotten much better lately and it's such a good feeling. When I clean out a cupboard or drawer I find myself opening it and looking at it all the time. I've had to learn to just be brutal and throw sentiment out the window. The more you downsize the easier it gets. I still have my obsession with quilting rulers and templates. Baby steps baby steps! I do love organizing anything and everything. I'm also a compulsive lister! It's a good feeling to be able to cross things off. I also love bins! Bins bins and more bins! Our local Big Lots is a great source of containers. Did I mention that I'm trying to do this economically {CHEAP!} It's a fun challenge! Maybe we could all share some before and afters{ When I figure out how to post photos!}.
    Old 01-03-2016, 06:56 AM

What a great idea! I should try that with every project; not just sewing!