Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Mission: Organization
  • Let's Organize Something Today >
  • Let's Organize Something Today

• Let's Organize Something Today

Old 01-02-2016, 05:52 PM

I need to do more purging! I have some fabrics that are still boxed up from when we built our house twenty years ago. It is time for them to go to the church quilters. Some of it is polyester and they will use it for making quilts for homeless. The polyester wears better and is warmer. Plus it can stand washing when they take their stuff into the shelters or places that have washers and dryers for their use. 2016 is the year to get this done.
    Old 01-02-2016, 06:30 PM

I love pressing fabric. Very relaxing, I find, and instantly gratifying. Glad you found motivation here.

Originally Posted by Sophie2
    I, also, just came across this thread this morning. I spent yesterday taking down decorations. Need to do a bit of cleaning this morning and then will hit the studio. I plan on doing some machine embroidery today. While that is running I will clean off the area to the right of my machine and press fabric that has been washed and get it on my wall. Thanks for the motivation.
    Old 01-02-2016, 06:35 PM

Don't hang onto them for a dog bed. My vet has seen more dogs' stomachs in tangles due to playing with socks. If they stuff a bed, there's a chance a dog will chew through at a shelter. I say donate them to Goodwill. They send them to third world countries, from my understanding. I was never so relieved as when I finally gave away a huge trash bag full of loner socks. The real estate they had taken up in my bedroom was ridiculous. I need to do it again. They "mate" and then they separate somewhere when they're tired of each other!

Originally Posted by jeanharville
    My resolution is to get rid of everything I don't want or use. I'm starting on my sock drawer today. Why do I keep socks with no mates or that are full of lint? I think I may have a smidge of a hoarder gene. I think I will use them to stuff a dog bed and give to the animal shelter.
    Old 01-02-2016, 06:36 PM

Pictures, PLEASE??!!!!

Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting
    Today I finished my four days of cleaning, sorting, organizing and purging in my sewing room. Looks great an I have my car trunk full of stuff for Goodwill. No more moving piles so I can cut, moving same piles so I can iron and again so I can sew. I'm tired but it feels so good.
    Old 01-02-2016, 08:08 PM

Thank you for putting this up here to get me motivated so early in the year. I'm moving this spring and need to start purging things so I don't have to leave everything in a mess for the movers. Thank you. I get sidetracked real quick but I can stick to this for 15 minutes a day. I'm hoping 15 minutes by the end of the week leads to 2 hours then to 4 hours. I only want to move what I want to take with me. I don't like cleaning out and unpacking at the same time.
    Old 01-02-2016, 09:04 PM

You're welcome. Glad it helps. Moving is no joke, no matter what. I try to give away 27 things a month from around the house. Sometimes it's more, sometimes less, but I have found it very doable. And for a while we thought this was the year to put our house on the market, but now my hubby is facing major heart surgery this week and it's a loong recovery. He says he won't have what it takes to make all the repairs and do the fresh painting (he's a DIY guy extraordinaire) before summer, and we're in no rush.

Having considered it , though, made me start pitching stuff with reckless abandon. Well, maybe not reckless--more like careful but I was determined not to hang onto anything that brought me down instead of up. Things that didn't fit my body, my style, my house, whatever. Out it went, and the liberation is contagious.

Think also how much $ you'll save if movers don't have to pack and weigh the stuff you don't REALLY love and want to keep in the next house.

Originally Posted by FabStripper
    Thank you for putting this up here to get me motivated so early in the year. I'm moving this spring and need to start purging things so I don't have to leave everything in a mess for the movers. Thank you. I get sidetracked real quick but I can stick to this for 15 minutes a day. I'm hoping 15 minutes by the end of the week leads to 2 hours then to 4 hours. I only want to move what I want to take with me. I don't like cleaning out and unpacking at the same time.
    Old 01-03-2016, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by zozee
    Upon first reading thus, was thinking you bought eyeglass holders to store small supplies! I have two hard cases and I love to keep a bobbin of thread, thimble, scissors and a needle in them, plus a few clips . But yes, they're great for their created purpose, too. Haha.
    I use a hard case which has a piece of magnetic strip glued to the top side. I use it to hold needles and a few pins for carrying with handwork. I also keep a needle threader and bobbin with the thread I'll need for the hand project.

Today my templates ordered on the 30th arrived from MSQC. I went into the sewing room and plopped up another Command hook to hang them up. I've found these hooks to be a great asset in keeping my tools organized.
    Old 01-03-2016, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by GailG
    I use a hard case which has a piece of magnetic strip glued to the top side. I use it to hold needles and a few pins for carrying with handwork. I also keep a needle threader and bobbin with the thread I'll need for the hand project.

Today my templates ordered on the 30th arrived from MSQC. I went into the sewing room and plopped up another Command hook to hang them up. I've found these hooks to be a great asset in keeping my tools organized.
    The magnetic strip glued to the inside if the lid sounds genius! I'll have to do that.

Have fun with those templates!
    Old 01-03-2016, 05:44 AM
    Power Poster

I sorted some patterns - anything with cats on it went into one box - anything that was a bag or tote went into a laundry basket for further consideration.
    Old 01-03-2016, 05:45 AM

I will start today by gathering bins to pack up my former stamping room. 11 years worth of supplies will be packed away to clear out the room and revamp it for sewing. Big mess ahead!