Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
so consumed with my lqs experience i forgot to tell you about the quilt police! >

so consumed with my lqs experience i forgot to tell you about the quilt police!

so consumed with my lqs experience i forgot to tell you about the quilt police!

Old 07-09-2010, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by MI Applique Queen
Originally Posted by echoemb
I also work with dogs and I had a woman follow me into Petsmart one day all the way from across the parking lot to tell me that I was training my puppy to heel all wrong. I needed to put a halti on him and they work great, etc, blah,blah,blah. That is fine if you have a pet dog but I am training obedience and seeing as they don't allow those in the ring I don't use them as I feel they are a crutch. My method works, it just takes awhile. And again just like your quilt police people are extremely rude any more and seem to think they need to mind everybody's business but their own.
I trained my Standard poodle myself. I read everything I could get my hands on then went to work. He is so well behaved, calm and gentle. But I have had people tell me that I need to take him to puppy training classes to do it right. I have a day care and I know how to teach. I just needed to know how to do it with dogs. They are not the same as children except for the patience, persistance attitude and expectations. Now when people ask me where he was trained and I tell them at home by me they are surprised. Training a dog is not hard once you know how they think, what they understand and what they need. I can take him anywhere and he always behaves and listens. I didn't train him to heel with a halti either. And he does fine. I have signed him up for Therapy dog training. I think we will both like it. I am also looking into dog training school.

I have found the same thing with some quilters. What class did you take to learn that. I didn't. Oh if you had you would have learned to do it easier, better, the right way etc. We need to learn at our own pace and in our own way. Not everyone can afford classes they are expensive. If it is the class or the fabric, the fabric will win every time. Classes are a lot of fun but I have found most of them are more of a social event than a learning experience. You do take something away but you can only learn so much in a short time.
I agree completely, classes are fun, but they turn out to be more social. I did take a class recently, and actually got something done. It did not turn out well. I am thinking of posting some pictures as a kind of "don't let this happen to you.", and show some of the things I tried to "fix" my big boo-boo.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:00 AM

I just love this group!!!!!
Old 07-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ckcowl
it was an eventful 4th of July weekend! i was so consumed with dealing with my bad experience at the lqs that i almost forgot to tell you i met (THE CHIEF OF QUILT POLICE! :shock: ) and we all thought there weren't any...
we were at the air show to see the Blue Angels...we went on the motorcycle so could not take chairs...i have this (old) quilt...well it's not even a real quilt anymore...i made it about 6-7 years ago...it didn't go so well so after it being wadded up in the bottom of a closet for a couple years i got it out one day and started cutting it up...made a couple runners, placemats...there is about a 72" square left whole...it's summery, dark blue backing on it...unbound...raggy edges...i figured this would be perfect to put in the saddle bags...fit fine. so, we are at the airshow... standing up (ok so i was standing on the 'quilt' taking pictures...this woman walks up to me...forcefully grabs my arm, yanking me off my quilt and got right in my face actually yelling at me!!! she let me know such behavior was not acceptable...that the person who put all the time and money into that quilt (remember me?)would be hard-pressed to not take it away from me, how ashamed i should be...
at first i thought my hubby was going to hit her :shock:
then he started to listen and realized what was happening and just sat down on the quilt and let me deal with her...i let her rant and get it out of her system...when she was finished i asked her if she felt better? did it make your holiday weekend to be able to assault a perfect stranger? and i asked her just how a person becomes a quilt police chief...then i proceed to tell her...i made the quilt, was pretty sure it was ok to use it anyway i saw fit, after all it is mine. that i make quilts to be used and am quite thrilled when i see the granddaughter's at the park i am quite thrilled to see they have their quilts in tow...i know how much they love them because they take them everywhere they go.
i also told her we hear and read all the time there are no quilt police...was she just self elected to the post? and i just had to add how i really feel sorry for anyone she ever gives a quilt to...i hope she lets them know upon receipt that it had better be put in a safe deposit box and never touched...or else...
she stomped off in quite a huff...my dh...was cracking up
Agreat pity he didn't or better still trap her nose for interfering!!
Old 07-09-2010, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by pansypenny
When I read your first tale of the LQS, and realized where you were/are, I just KNEW it had to be R's...right? That shop is about 8 mi. from my house and I've pretty much stopped going there. sad.
THEN.................the episode at the Blue Angels (weren't they awesome - as usual) really clinched it for me. In this AM's Record Eagle, there was a letter from someone who COMPLAINED that the Blue Angels were going over his house and they made "too much noise". I suspect his wife is your QP woman!! Some people.....and they walk among us!
Andd they weren't 'going over his house' because one of the 'rules' of the Blues' air shows is that they NOT fly over residences. He probably wasn't actually WATCHING - he just heard the noise and is a regular complainer about anything/everything. Though, from what the husband said to the self-appointed QP B***H, I think it may have been a different man.

I always give the 'It's ok to sit on your quilt; It's ok to spit on your quilt' poem with the baby quilt I give away, because I want them to be used. I also machine quilt them, so they'll stand up to machine washing & drying - and I say that on the label, and in the note I write about 'How to care for your quilt.'

Maybe I've already said this, but I'll say it again - I give quilts to be used, and I have great proof that at least one of mine has been well-used. Currently, I'm mending a lap quilt I made originally for my batchelor son in '97. He met and married Susan the following year, and their now 9 year old younger son has loved it enough to need mending. I replaced some of the patches. I machine embroidered them with his current animal favorite - elephants. I will add a new label to the back "Henry's Elephant Quit, embroidered and mended, 2010.'
Old 07-09-2010, 11:05 AM

I would love to see a pic of this infamous quilt! If I were her suffering husband, I would tell her to go home and firmly insert her left foot in her mouth, followed by her right!(after WALKING home!)I hope she is a member here and is reading these 12 (so far) pages of intertainment we have all been enjoying- (and realizing it is about HER!)actually, we should be thanking her for providing us with something to laugh at!
Old 07-09-2010, 11:12 AM
Banned

Good for you....Some people just can't keep there noses out of other people's business. I think I would have said "HOW RUDE, I MADE THIS QUILT...YOU KNOW CAN LEAVE"!
ROTFL
Karen
Old 07-09-2010, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
I would love to see a pic of this infamous quilt! If I were her suffering husband, I would tell her to go home and firmly insert her left foot in her mouth, followed by her right!(after WALKING home!)I hope she is a member here and is reading these 12 (so far) pages of intertainment we have all been enjoying- (and realizing it is about HER!)actually, we should be thanking her for providing us with something to laugh at!
For some reason, I have a feeling that it may be the poor DH that ended up walking home (perhaps by his own choice -- but then maybe not).
Old 07-09-2010, 07:23 PM

I wanted to add that maybe if her husband said what he did to her, he might be half way out the door. Can you imagine what he thought? Poor man... Good response, congratulations on keeping your cool!
Old 07-09-2010, 07:52 PM

What a cute dog.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:42 PM

When I read ckcowl's 'report' on her QP experience, my poor DH just looked at me kind of funny when I busted out laughing and said, "What now?" I just chuckled a little more...but YOU GO, GIRL! I'd have done as you did...What a great comeback...and I hope SHE was the one to walk home!