Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dontcha just hate it when... >

Dontcha just hate it when...

Dontcha just hate it when...

Old 09-23-2010, 08:45 AM

On the subject of pleats in the back of your fabric. I'm a novice quilter and every time I'm done sewing, I find a tuck or pleat on the backside no matter how careful I try to be with my layering,
smoothing, matching, pinning etc. What am I doing wrong?
Old 09-23-2010, 09:20 AM

My fav peeve is screwy tension when putting on the binding. Got binding all done only to have to unsew, repin and resew and the tension is still wonky. I also love having my quilt inspector, my avatar, helping me sew by laying on the fabric, project or some vital piece that I need then and not later. Love this topic. :) He loves to help me cut fabric, too.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by mommy and pebbles
Crazy bobbins, dropped 1 three times trying wind it back up. I guess it thought it was a yo yo in training.

Yo yo in training. This is too good! Thanks for the laugh.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Quilting Nonnie
My worst was when my dog was a puppy. I was chain sewing little nine patches together. So I'm chain sewing these vintage squares of fabric in a long line, only to find when I'm done that the puppy was under the sewing table chewing on the squares as they came down...
Oh my gosh, my side hurts from laughing so much! Is your dog by any chance named Skeeter? If it's not the same dog, he has a clone who lives with me.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by sewTinker
doncha just hate it when you're handsewing on a road trip and your husband At Last pulls into a gas station and you really gotta Go! and you realize you have embroidered your cute little redwork patch to your slacks and you really gotta Go! and there's no time to undo the stitching (because you really gotta Go!) and so you run into the mapco with the upsidedown redwork lady now the focal point of your outfit? heh-heh...
Gotta admit, sewTinker, that has NEVER happened to me, but I wish I'd been at the mapco to see your mad dash to the potty. I'd probably pee in my pants at that sight. I've got to wipe my eyes now!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Fancy Nancy
or when you know fully well to cut the fabric 2.5 inches and you cut it 2.25 and then wonder why things are not fitting together.
what is worse is to discover the strip you have is 2.25 and you really need just one more 2.5 square and the fabric is gone and no one else has it in their stash --every shade but one that will work. :roll:
Old 09-23-2010, 09:49 AM

Or when your cat decides to pull your nicely stacked fabric to make a comfy bed...
Old 09-23-2010, 10:17 AM

My big booper yesterday was to forget to pull the bobbin thread to the top, so I had a huge tangle on the back of a baby quilt I was quilting the very last bear on. Took an extra hour and I still have to bind it
Old 09-23-2010, 11:04 AM

Im waiting for when we can just put another spool of thread in place of a bobbin. Why havent they done that yet??? They can computerize a sewing machine and make it do miracles but not run out of thread lol[/quote]

There is a machine just like that. Its called the National two spool. Remember the little wooden spools of thread?
That's what it uses for a bobbin. I don't know why they stopped making them. I think it was a wonderful idea!!
Here's a link to learn all about it.

http://www.mckennalinn.com/TwoSpool.html
Old 09-23-2010, 12:45 PM

I love this thread. I am still laughing and going "yah, I know how that is". It is so nice to know that you are not the only one to make these kind of boo-boos. I've done most of them.