Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Quilt" magazine and their strongarm renewal tactics >

"Quilt" magazine and their strongarm renewal tactics

"Quilt" magazine and their strongarm renewal tactics

Old 01-22-2011, 08:00 PM

Don't know where you are located but here in WA the law is on your side. If a company sends or does an auto sign up without your signature or agreement you are not liable to pay. Even if they send out a magazine. I had this happen to me and I did contact the BB and they said I was not required to pay the magazine company even though they sent me an issue. When I contacted the Magazine and shared this info they stopped harassing me and I got a free magazine. I never subscribe to any of them anymore, just buy the ones I want from the store, much easier that way :)
Old 01-22-2011, 08:07 PM

Many years ago when my son was in high school he had a car that needed some work (exhaust system) and the local yokel that worked on it really did him dirty. I tried to let Michael handle it but he was in over his head so Mama Bear stepped in. We (Michael and a couple of his friends who happened to be there at the time) went to the shop and and did my best Suzanne Sugarbaker on them. Got a free redo of the whack job they did. For years if either of those boys had a problem they would jokingly ask if I could handle it for them.
Originally Posted by Eddie
I showed that notice to my wife while ago. As she read it, I could tell what was coming. She looked at me with "that" gleam in her eye and a smile and said "Do you want me to call them?" :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I laughed :lol: and said that I already had. They should count themselves VERY fortunate that it was I that called them and not HER!
Old 01-22-2011, 08:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
I had the same thing happen with Country Living Magazine. I wrote "Cancel" on the invoice and sent it back - twice. The third time I reminded them that I had told them to cancel it two times before. I hope it worked this time.

They are trying to get people to pay with the fear of having it go against their credit rating!
After reading on the invoice that they would automatically renew I just mailed my cancellation to Country Living Magazine and hope I don't have to remind them again. I will not renew my magazines again if this is going to become a common practice.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by dixiechunk
I suggest a Suzanne Sugarbaker phone call.
LOL!!! I LOVED that show!
Old 01-22-2011, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
Originally Posted by Eddie
I showed that notice to my wife while ago. As she read it, I could tell what was coming. She looked at me with "that" gleam in her eye and a smile and said "Do you want me to call them?" :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I laughed :lol: and said that I already had. They should count themselves VERY fortunate that it was I that called them and not HER!
Heh heh heh heh. Is she from NY or NJ and/or Jewish? Those gals are scary when they're mad (I can say that because my mom/grandma/aunts are Jewish from NY and darn scary when they're mad)
THAT IS SO FUNNY - AND SO TRUE!!! STAY AWAY FROM ME WHEN I'M MAD!!!
JEWISH FROM NEW YORK CITY!!!

honestly, i dropped quilt magazine and never got anything like that. it sounds like they received something that makes them think you ordered it. give them the opportunity to make it right. have you been getting it even after it should have lapsed?
Old 01-22-2011, 08:42 PM

Boy I could use some of you NY girls!! I've had the same thing happen with wanting to renew LONG before its even expired, after the first time I did renew and found out I then had 2 YEARs...I kept track of everything. I didn't know that they could continue your magazine after the prescription expires....doesn't make sense, you dont GET the magazine til they get your payment....then they keep sending it and tell you to pay more? I haven't had that happen but am not going to renew Quilt magazine either! So guess I better watch for the nasty notes coming my way....thats where you NY girls come in ok???
Old 01-22-2011, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Carol J.
Just try getting rid of the Readers Diget!!!
For years we got notices to renew, sent some back saying, no thanks, quit sending notices, been over 15 years and we still get a renewal notice now and then.
The garbage is full of unwanted mail, fill it up, keeps the post office in business carting advertising and political propaganda.

Carol J.
I used to subscribe to Ideals, a very nice magazine of poetry put out by Guideposts. I think this may be a division of Readers Digest. Anyway, one day I received a notice that because of the cost of postage, Ideals subscriptions were being discontinued, and in its place, they would send me several years of Guideposts. Well, I was ALREADY subscribed to Guideposts! I ended up with 9 years-worth of Guideposts subscriptions! I was very angry, and I called them. They finally sent me a refund check and stopped sending Guideposts altogether! What a hassle!
Old 01-22-2011, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by BettyB
Originally Posted by Holice
I believe it was Andy Rooney who said that if you get this kind of mail. any junk mail for that matter and it has a paid return envelop with it, just bundle up all the paper including the original envelope and send it back to the company. They way they have to pay return postage. I have done it and it ended the junk mail.
This is a very good idea. Not only will it let these companys know that you do not want their junk mail, but it will help our Postal System get out of the red!!! Save them all up and put them in your mail box during the time that your carrier is being counted for the hours they will be paid for---helps them too.
Now days, most of them don't have postage on them.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:57 PM
Dee

I quit all magazines. So many ads in them and same quilts over and over. I have so many, don't need anymore. Shelves are full.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:08 PM

same thing happened to me with Runners World mag same nasty letter finally got it straightened out but was a pain