Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Quilt" magazine and their strongarm renewal tactics >

"Quilt" magazine and their strongarm renewal tactics

"Quilt" magazine and their strongarm renewal tactics

Old 01-22-2011, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
bad pay. they don't send mags unless you pay! mcCalls had me down twice. said i owed them one year and the other was paid ahead. duh!! i made them cancel and refund my money. no more subscripstions in my life.
if they continue, report them to the BBB.
I'm having an odd experience with Better Homes & Gardens. I stopped taking it yrs. ago but I still receive them. I'm wondering if it's because it still gets all of that advertising out to people? That's why I stopped taking it in the first place. You have to go through & get rid of all of those pesky cards before you can read the pages. Then it's mostly all ads. I just refuse to pay for their advertisements.

Gosh, Eddie, I would have been furious at that kind of intimidation, too.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie
I subscribed to "Quilt" magazine back in January 2010 for one year, and decided to let the subscription lapse when it came up for renewal. They sent several reminders to renew, etc., all of which I ignored.

Today, I get this in the mail from them:

UNPAID ACCOUNT

WE HAVE SENT YOU FOUR INVOICES AND HAVE NOT HEARD FROM YOU YET.

EITHER:
(1) PAY YOUR BILL OR
(2) CALL US AT #800-866-2886 TO TELL US WHY YOU HAVE NOT PAID.

OR WE WILL PLACE YOUR NAME ON OUR BAD PAY FILE.

P.S. If you have sent payment within the last two weeks, please disregard this notice.
This makes my blood boil when I see companies use threats and intimidation like this, simply because someone choose not to renew their subscription. GRRRRRRR!!!!
Their "bad pay file"??? So what?? If you are on their "bad pay file" then they won't sell you anything else. Good riddance !!!
Old 01-22-2011, 09:15 PM

Another annoying practice is to send renewal notices during the first few months of a new two-year subscription. I NEVER pay for subscriptions with a credit card since I don't want to give companies a chance to arbitrarily renew.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:15 PM

The ones that make me crazy, are the ones that send you a bill, and never tell you how far you are paid up to. I have memory problems, so I just paid the bill when it came for a small newsy magazine. You know the one, and when I finally thought to ask when my subscription expired, I was informed that I was paid up for 7 years! They should be ashamed to take advantage of the elderly and disabled. My seven years advance payment was an aknowledgement that I wanted to receive their junk mail (by the ton) also. I tried to cancel and get a refund. They just sent me more bills, and when I called them, over and over, they just 'put me through to the proper person to take care of it' and after a few transfers, they accidently hung up, over and over! :evil: I never did get a refund.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by dixiechunk
I have had similar experiences too many times to count. However, they have never gone as far as to threaten my credit. Have even scrawled "I do not want this magazine any more. Do not send me any more notices or I will consider this a free subscription." They still send magazines until they get the hint. Times are hard and they are feeling the push and pushing back. I suggest a Suzanne Sugarbaker phone call.
I'm not that good, where can I find a 'Suzane Sugarbaker' speech writer? :thumbup:
Old 01-22-2011, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by np3
Did one of the notices ask you to mark No thanks if you didn't want to renew? Most subscriptions automatically renew if you don't send in a cancellation notice. And from their point of view, you owe it per the original agreement. It is annoying which is why I seldom order magazines.

From my point of view-----------you extend your subscription only when you ask for it to be extended.

I'd report them to BBB
Old 01-22-2011, 09:19 PM

I had a problem with 'Cloth Paper Scissors' magazine. I purchased three 1 year subscriptions: one for me, and 2 gifts for friends. I only received a few issues, complained, got an issue in the mail, and after that, they just ignored me. I don't think my friends received theirs, either. I ignored all their renewal requests, and will not order any mags from that company. From what I've been reading, I don't think I'll order any others in the next decade, either.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by kittenquilts
I think I would contact them. However, I wouldn't use the phone number listed on that form. Somehow this just doesn't look right.

I just called the number and it's someone's "customer service department". No one there since it's near midnight Saturday night.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:34 PM

I had the same thing happen too in the past & I won't ever subscribe to a magazine again. If I want one I'll just buy it at the store even though they cost more per magazine you only buy the one you want.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:35 PM

I told my husband about this & this is what he said...
Tell them to subscribe to Fish Alaska They are awesome and kind! http://www.fishalaskamagazine.com/
Hey by the way isn't the "Quilt" magazine the one that was advertising 1 year for $9.99? I think that is the one I had trouble getting it AFTER I paid for it. I took me calling them several times to get them to straighten it out.

He also added Guns & Ammo is a good one too? My husband makes me laugh.

Eddie You might want to let them know you put this on the web and let them know how many members there are here reading this nonsence. That sould give them something to think about. Hmmmm maybe we should ALL send them a hyper link to this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup: