Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Quilt" magazine and their strongarm renewal tactics >

"Quilt" magazine and their strongarm renewal tactics

"Quilt" magazine and their strongarm renewal tactics

Old 01-22-2011, 06:42 AM

Also charitable orgs. will do the same thing - "renewal" notices for your yearly contribution. I kept getting these for YEARS after i had decided to stop contributing to this one org. Guess they thought they would sneak it by me by saying Renewal instead of saying please contribute again.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie
I subscribed to "Quilt" magazine back in January 2010 for one year, and decided to let the subscription lapse when it came up for renewal. They sent several reminders to renew, etc., all of which I ignored.

Today, I get this in the mail from them:

UNPAID ACCOUNT

WE HAVE SENT YOU FOUR INVOICES AND HAVE NOT HEARD FROM YOU YET.

EITHER:
(1) PAY YOUR BILL OR
(2) CALL US AT #800-866-2886 TO TELL US WHY YOU HAVE NOT PAID.

OR WE WILL PLACE YOUR NAME ON OUR BAD PAY FILE.

P.S. If you have sent payment within the last two weeks, please disregard this notice.
This makes my blood boil when I see companies use threats and intimidation like this, simply because someone choose not to renew their subscription. GRRRRRRR!!!!
OMG!!!! This just happend to Us TOO!!! with Reminisce and Country Livivg!!!! Both my husb. and I do not sent off for mag with out checking w/ea other and certainly not to be billed later!!! so we both thought we better pay it because we felt like we were being deadbeats...He also put a note in there with the ck. that he thought this may have been an error.... I am really going to watch this... I have told him we will stop all our supscriptions till we see these come again and hold on to themmmm to try to trac this now.... thanks for the inf... what a scam!!!!! :hunf:
Old 01-22-2011, 07:12 AM

I have one magazine that I am dealing with that now. I returned the invoice marked CANCEL...there was no place to decline their offer. Then I canceled it online. And they are still sending me the magazine. I really hate their "automatic" renewals and I will stop ordering any magazines if this is what they are going to do. NOT the way to keep their customers.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:31 AM

I had a situation like yours and they actually reported "Failure to Pay" to the 3 credit companys
Old 01-22-2011, 07:36 AM

Many, many, many years ago I had this happen with a Children's Book Club. Could NOT get them to cancel and had to finally threaten them. Not good!
Old 01-22-2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by gale
Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
I had the same thing happen with Country Living Magazine. I wrote "Cancel" on the invoice and sent it back - twice. The third time I reminded them that I had told them to cancel it two times before. I hope it worked this time.

They are trying to get people to pay with the fear of having it go against their credit rating!
Country Living is the WORST! First people don't get all of their issues and then they are auto renewed even if they didn't want to be. I'll never subscribe to that magazine again.
I've had the same problem with Taste of Living. I didn't get all of the magazines I ordered, but got lots of dunning letters to renew immediately, pay immediately, etc., etc. Do ALL magazines participate in these unreputable practices?
Old 01-22-2011, 07:50 AM

I have never gotten a notice like this but I have gotten Phone Calls asking me to resubscribe. The calls are from other magazines other than quilting magazines.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Frankie
As luck would have it I just got a notice in the mail about a subscription for Quilters News Letter. I looked all over the page but could not find a spot where they said automatically renew. Now I'm not so sure I want to subscribe just in case there is some print about auto renew in size 2 font that I don't see.
I previously subscribed to Quilters Newsletter for 12 years and decided not to renew last year. They kept sending repeated renewal requests ad nauseum, which I ignored. It should be obvious I am not interested if I do not respond. Right? Well, not to them, apparently. They they started sending renewal requests in envelopes marked "urgent" without a return address to trick me into opening their mail. Juvenile, irritating and unprofessional of them. They are off my list forever.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by wesing
Almost every magazine we have subscribed to in the last several years has been obnoxious about renewing. Most of them start sending renewal notices almost as soon as the first issue of the subscription is mailed out. Nothing on the renewal notices gives you a clue when your subscription really expires. I bet if you didn't pay attention they would let you renew into the next millenium. If you want to subscribe to any magazine, you need to keep track of what you paid and when you're paid through.

Sorry you had this happen; try to enjoy the battle.

Darren
For every magazine subscription of any type, I always retain the renewal form and mark down the expiration date. So whenever I receive premature renewal pleas, I know whether it is time to respond or time to ignore.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:59 AM

I had the same experience with Country Gardens magazine