Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >
  • Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

• Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 01-21-2015, 10:01 AM

Dogwood, your color combination is beautiful. I'm especially taken with that green, which is the closest I think I've seen to the ceiling effect in the hotel photos.

Windblown, thanks so much for sharing the inspiring sunlight moment with us! Your blocks are looking lovely; I think your greens are just right with your other colors. As for the backing issue, I don't think it's necessary to have a busy backing with a quilt that has so much going on on the front, so don't be too down on your plain backing!

Speaking of backings, I did get that backing fabric I was so enthused about, but now I'm not so sure about it, lol. I'll post a photo when I have a block together, to give it context.

mimiknox, you have some really fun fabrics there! (It looks like the diamond/broken dish segment on the right side of the block at left needs to be flipped.)
    Old 01-21-2015, 10:05 AM

Beautiful. Love the colors and how the blue or what the print is just stands out so great. Thanks for posting.
    Old 01-21-2015, 10:11 AM

I put my blocks together and with the fabrics I chose, realize that I totally lost the pattern and design. It looks like a big bunch of confetti to me. With all the mistakes, and points that I lost, and sashing that somehow got turned around, I still love it. I put on plain borders and made it a lap quilt instead of bed-size. I still have to quilt it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]507038[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails mystery_quilt.jpg  
    Old 01-21-2015, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom
    Dogwood, your color combination is beautiful. I'm especially taken with that green, which is the closest I think I've seen to the ceiling effect in the hotel photos.

Windblown, thanks so much for sharing the inspiring sunlight moment with us! Your blocks are looking lovely; I think your greens are just right with your other colors. As for the backing issue, I don't think it's necessary to have a busy backing with a quilt that has so much going on on the front, so don't be too down on your plain backing!

Speaking of backings, I did get that backing fabric I was so enthused about, but now I'm not so sure about it, lol. I'll post a photo when I have a block together, to give it context.

mimiknox, you have some really fun fabrics there! (It looks like the diamond/broken dish segment on the right side of the block at left needs to be flipped.)
    Thanks so much for noticing that. I did something like that on the 1st one I got together & fixed it. It's easy to do with this. That must have been #3 last night before I called it a night-lol.
    Old 01-21-2015, 11:42 AM

I finally finished piecing my Amish-inspired Grand Illusion! I learned so much during this mystery and I am so grateful to Bonnie Hunter for all her hard work. This was a lot of fun, and I am really looking forward to next year's mystery!
    Attached Thumbnails dsc04063.jpg  
    Old 01-21-2015, 11:59 AM

SusanE ,I love your quilt too. That blue-green marbled fabric, if I had found that I would have used it too. My favorite colors!

Wholeheart Mom, Your Amish design choice is wonderful and inspiring.

mimiknox, I know that your colors choices will make such a soft comforting look, I'm anxious to see your's finished too!

Thank you everyone for your kind words on my quilt.
    Old 01-21-2015, 02:20 PM

Wholeheart Mum, that is wonderful!
    Old 01-21-2015, 02:54 PM

hand stitching the last 2 yards of the binding....this BH, GI will be finished before dinner !!!
    Old 01-21-2015, 06:46 PM

Today I finished the center 3x3...can't be in the sewing room tomorrow, so Friday I will be using leftovers to make it longer (I'm not fond of square quilts)...just have to play with it some to figure it out...hopefully I can post finished top by next week. Seeing some lovely quilts (favorite so far is Amish Inspired). I hope mine comes out ok; others were not sure of how theirs were going to come out due to colors (I'm in same boat); but they did turn out just fine. Fingers crossed on mine.
    Old 01-22-2015, 05:43 AM
    Power Poster

No, you haven't lost the pattern or design at all! I see it clearly, the movement... everything! I think you need to step back further from your quilt and you will see it too. Your top is lovely.

Originally Posted by SusanErler
    I put my blocks together and with the fabrics I chose, realize that I totally lost the pattern and design. It looks like a big bunch of confetti to me. With all the mistakes, and points that I lost, and sashing that somehow got turned around, I still love it. I put on plain borders and made it a lap quilt instead of bed-size. I still have to quilt it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]507038[/ATTACH]