quilt as u go >

quilt as u go

quilt as u go

Old 04-23-2007, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Method 1:

stitch the blocks together in rows.
sandwich the backing, batting and top for the first row
leave at least two or three inches of extra back and batting at the sides and top, but trim the batting so it's just a leeeetle bit more than a 1/4" short of the bottom edge of the backing in and top.
quilt that sucker right up to the edges if you want.

lay down the batting for the next row
put the backing right-side up on top
next, put the quilted row on top - front facing up
then put down the next row of the top - face down - just as you would do if you were only assembling the top.
match your seams, pin into place
sew your quarter inch seam through all the layers

when you flip the back and front, you'll have the three layers in proper order.
quilt that sucker right to the edges, too

repeat this process until you've done all the rows.

if you pieced the border, too, the only thing left to do is the binding.

if you haven't added the borders yet, do so now. use the same method you used for the rows.

c'est voila!!!! all quilted and no hand stitching needed to close or cover any of the seams.

bind that puppy and show it off to the world.
:mrgreen:
Old 04-23-2007, 02:44 PM

gee you make it sounds so easy. Hopefuly I won't mess it up when I try thanks Patrice
Attached Thumbnails attachment-182426.jpe   attachment-182427.jpe   attachment-182428.jpe  
Old 04-23-2007, 03:09 PM
Administrator

you'll do just fine, i'm sure.

you can use the same method to assemble the quilt as though it was a big log cabin block. just start in the center and add the rows as you go around instead of one under the other. it just hit me - how cool would it look if you chose different fabrics for the "logs" on the back just as you would if you were making a block? reversible quilt!!!

i love 2-fers
:P
Attached Thumbnails fall-winter-2012-022.jpg  
Old 04-23-2007, 03:30 PM

In the 2nd paragraph, isn't the batting going to be too thick? I told you I was stupid about this. Also I have already bought the muslin for the backing.

I have only used muslin for my bed size quilts because you need so much. But on the baby quilts I used fabric. I have to say they looked much better.

So now if I use the muslin, which is white is that going to be a problem when piecing?

Are you just loving being my personal quilt teacher, pretty soon I will have to start paying you. lol

Also I already stitched the middle 2 rows together. I like the idea about going around, but I will have to get my brain around how to do that, and also the muslin.

Even if I wanted to change my mind and use fabric, I wouldn't know what to use. I have a lot of fabric, but nothing that would match, and if I did I wouldnt have enough.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:12 PM
Administrator

the batting will not be too thick. since you trim away that little bit from the edge the next set of blocks gets sewn to, it all comes together and doesn't overlap.

if you don't trust yourself, practice a little with some sample blocks. you'll have the hang of it in no time. trust me. if i can do it, so can you.

the white muslin shouldn't present any problems but unless you know it won't shrink more than the fabrics on the front, i do recommend you prewash it and throw it into a high heat dryer to preshrink.

and if you decide to use patterned fabrics for the back ... who says they have to match the front? who says the back has to be made from only one fabric? have some fun, girl. LOL

as long as you use colors on the back that will not clash too badly with the binding, it'll be just fine. reversible. 2 quilts fer the work of 1 (a 2-fer).

the good feeling you get when you've proved to yourself that you can do it will make a very nice "payment", thank you.
Attached Thumbnails img_0002.jpg   img_0003.jpg   img_0004.jpg  
Old 04-23-2007, 04:53 PM

Thanks Patrice, I am going to practice for a while until I get the hang of it. I will show my work as I go along. Now u can get back to your stuff.
Thanks again, Mary
Old 04-24-2007, 03:37 AM

First of all, I like he design and your fabrics too. 2nd Ptarice should start teaching full time cause she makes it all seem so easy! I am still plugging away on Aunt Hatties Garden. IF I ever get it done, I'll post a picture. I am sooooo inspired by all this talent! Amazing :-)
Old 04-24-2007, 04:55 AM
Administrator

first of all, thank you. :-)

second of all ... ever heard that old saying, "them as can does; them as can't teaches"?

what i hope is that someday i can do both. i have several more skills to develop before i could consider myself even remotely qualified to step up in front of a class.

but i love you for thinking i could.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-93004.jpe   attachment-93005.jpe   attachment-93006.jpe  
Old 04-24-2007, 05:03 AM

In my case, I'd love to be able to quilt all I wanted, but it doesn't put food on the table. The company I work for expects employees to invest in a 401--very little pension handed out just for being here so long--in my case 18 years. Unfortunately I have a HUGE appetite for both food and fabric, so I am stuck for 2 more years and IF Uncle Sam isn't broke by then, I'm outa here. But Patrice, you know you have the skills, because of the way you methodically explain everything to all of us. You could do it! Might not get rich, but then look at Eleanor Burns and Georgia Bonesteel. They are not on the corner with a tin cup for donations by any means. Give it a shot!
Old 04-24-2007, 05:36 AM
Administrator

i also have a rather annoying need for food once in a while, so i can relate. LOL

i'm not old enough yet to be eligible for regular retirement from civil service. the buyout bonus for retiring early is a joke. soooooooo i'm "stuck" for a few more years. between now and then, i'm going to keep working on my skills and do a bit of market testing to see whether or not i could make a little part time living. i suspect i could sell my designs, but i so much hate paying for a pattern myself i don't know if i could force myself to charge for them. LOL

in the meantime, whenever you want a lesson, just come on down to Georgia. you'll get room, board, all the lessons you want. free of charge. ;-)