Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I NEED HELP >

I NEED HELP

I NEED HELP

Old 02-28-2011, 11:23 AM

I love Connecting Threads 50wt cotton or the even thinner generic poly serger thread best for piecing. www.connectingthreads.com

My favorites for machine quilting are the Rainbows (poly) and King Tut (cotton) lines by Superior Threads, and I love any of Thread Art's 40wt embroidery threads, too. Their prices won't make you keel over in sticker shock, either - I've never had it act up in any machine, from my 1894 Singer to my Futura embroidery machine.

I just got some YLI Soft Touch 60wt for hand applique from Heirlooms Forever and it's SUPER nice, but I like the finished appearance of Bottom Line from Superior for hand applique better than anything else I've tried. Superior So Fine and YLI Soft Touch behave better, but Bottom Line is invisible or darn close to invisible. YLI Silk is invisible or nearly so, but it's a pain in the neck to handle, especially to anchor.

Soft Touch - silk finish 60wt cotton:
http://www.sews.com/notions/threads/...softtouch.html

Bottom Line by Superior:
http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/...e/description/
Old 02-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DewDropInn4Coughfee
could someone tell me....what brand of quilting thread is better
Impossible. Everyone has their own preferences for what they like. That is like asking what brand of sewing machine is best. There is no right answer. You just have to experiment and see what you like better. What you like best is which brand is better to YOU! ;-)
Old 02-28-2011, 11:33 AM

Hi Dew Drop I use Connecting Thread cotton threads almost exclusively. You can check their web site. It comes in so many colors. Their fabrics are great also. Jan
Old 02-28-2011, 11:39 AM

I like connecting threads also.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:19 PM

I really love the thread from Superior Threads. I use it for everything. I especially love their pre-wound bobbins.
http://www.superiorthreads.com/
Old 02-28-2011, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by dungeonquilter
I really love the thread from Superior Threads. I use it for everything. I especially love their pre-wound bobbins.
http://www.superiorthreads.com/
dungeonquilter, which Superior pre-wound bobbins do you use? I think I've seen Bottom Line, Masterpiece and So Fine.

Do you buy the type L bobbins? Are those like class 15's?

I've been buying the type A bobbins from ThreadArt and I really love them, but I would like to find an option that has matte thread in them. The ThreadArt pre-wound bobbins have a very fine shiny thread, which is great for some things, but I'd like to get some bobbin thread that mimics cotton in appearance. :)
Old 02-28-2011, 01:22 PM

I just got hooked on Aurifil. Candace of QB gave us the tip that Tristan Threads of BC Canada has it on clearance. It's still expensive, but WORTH it. I would never have tried it if not for the sale. Maybe order with pals and split shipping? Cotton prices are going up, so I think buying on sale now is wise. Also like Masterpiece by Superior Threads for piecing and have heard good things about their King Tut and Perfect Quilter quilting threads. Have heard good things about Connecting Threads, but haven't tried them. I'm sitting on an Aurifil stockpile! Of course, never use hand quilting thread in a machine.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:24 PM

Forgot link: www.tristan.bc.ca
Old 02-28-2011, 01:52 PM

How do you all pay for thread.?
37.50 for 5 spools to me is crazy. I've always wondered myself which thread was the best.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:53 PM

Connecting Threads. They have everything, including great customer service.