Why pay for Priority mail?

Old 03-16-2011, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
I have been waiting for a package that was picked up from the sender on March 11.
They sent it Priority mail.
Priority is supposed to deliver in 2 - 3days, correct?
I am using the tracking number to follow it online and it shows that it has sat in the local post office since Sat. March 12.
It's now March 16 and I don't have it.
I wonder how often we pay for Priority mail but don't really get it. My friend could have sent it First Class and it'd get here in the same amount of time for less money.
Grrr.
If it doesn't arrive today I'm going to call the Post Master and complain although it won't really do any good.
Yes, it certainly will do good. You can get a refund for whoever paid for the Priority Mail. But remember you can't count Sundays. It's only mail delivery days. So, it's actually only 1 day late.

Also, I send to NC from CA in the flat rate Priority Mail boxes, and they do make it in 3 mail days all the time. But I have to take it to the PO by mid-afternoon, otherwise sometimes it takes 4 days. The sender can have an effect on the amount of time.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

almost every time they tell me it will take 2 to 3 days, it taks 4 or 5 days. every time.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:09 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by jljack
Yes, it certainly will do good. You can get a refund for whoever paid for the Priority Mail. But remember you can't count Sundays. It's only mail delivery days. So, it's actually only 1 day late.
Show me exactly where on the USPS site it states that Priority mail is guaranteed to be delivered in 3 days. Provide the link, please.

Which is totally beside the point because the US Post Office isn't the problem in this case. It's most probably the seller.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:18 PM
np3
Power Poster

[quote=MTS]
Originally Posted by jljack

Show me exactly where on the USPS site it states that Priority mail is guaranteed to be delivered in 3 days. Provide the link, please.

Which is totally beside the point because the US Post Office isn't the problem in this case. It's most probably the seller.
USPS site states that it is delivered on an average between 2-3 days.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:19 PM
MTS
Banned

Here - look at this link:

http://trkcnfrm1.smi.usps.com/PTSInt...82300546248835

The item was paid for on Feb 2 (Wed).
Seller finally gets around to printing the label from her home on Feb 5 (Sat)
Then it sat in her house/car until she got to the PO late on Feb 8(Tues).
It took 3 days to get delivered, which is fine.

So the PO really did nothing wrong here. Just a lousy seller.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:22 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by np3
Originally Posted by MTS

USPS site states that it is delivered on an average between 2-3 days.
Which is very, very different from being a "guaranteed" service. Ask your postmaster next time you're in the PO.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:27 PM

The service at the Post Office is going down hill quickly. I have a problem with them ripping open packages in their machines. We have had gift cards come up missing due to the envelope being torn. I now ask everyone if they are going to send things via the snail mail to please package it well because the item might get completely lost.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:28 PM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MTS
Here - look at this link:

http://trkcnfrm1.smi.usps.com/PTSInt...82300546248835

The item was paid for on Feb 2 (Wed).
Seller finally gets around to printing the label from her home on Feb 5 (Sat)
Then it sat in her house/car until she got to the PO late on Feb 8(Tues).
It took 3 days to get delivered, which is fine.

So the PO really did nothing wrong here. Just a lousy seller.
Not all mail facilities scan items when they are dropped off. For instance, if taken to Office Depot on Monday, it is not picked up for delivery to a USPS office until Tuesday. Depending on the truck picking it up, that could make it arrive late on Tuesday. This is why I no longer use the smaller delivery sites and only go to an official USPS office. That same item dropped off at Office Depot on Saturday would sit there until picked up on Monday morning.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:30 PM

I worked at the local Post Office for five years. But with Piority, I have noted that the date the postage was placed on the package is not necessary the date it was shipped, it is just the date the postage was printed. I have noticed 2 to 3 days difference before the package arrived at the Post Office. If there is a delivery comfirmation, the USPS scans the package everytime it is handled. I have no idea why it has been at your local Post Office for several days, I would call them with the information you have. We had strict orders to see that Prioity was delivered quickly.

If this was something you purchased using PayPal, your first notice was probably sent by PayPal. The Post Office does not send e-mails to individuals. Once you have the confirmation Number you can go to track & confirm and request updated information via e-mail, however this information is usually not updated in minutes/hours sometimes just overnight. There have been times when I received the package before the updates, but I have a P.O. Box and mail is put up between 7:30 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. At our Post Office Parcels are put up first. We were small and P.O.B's only, so we frequently called customers who were waiting for packages to let them know it had arrived.

I have never had a problem with Priority, especially with delivery confirmation.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:59 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I don't think the Post Office has service *guarantees* on Priority Mail. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Maybe they do on Express Mail... but good luck trying to get a refund with USPS.