Why pay for Priority mail?

Old 03-16-2011, 07:12 PM

Do call your postmaster. Someone isn't doing their job. Also, go to www.usps.gov and enter a complaint. It will be forwarded to your local post office and THAT really gets their attention! It should have been delivered the same day it reached your local po.

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
I have been waiting for a package that was picked up from the sender on March 11.
They sent it Priority mail.
Priority is supposed to deliver in 2 - 3days, correct?
I am using the tracking number to follow it online and it shows that it has sat in the local post office since Sat. March 12.
It's now March 16 and I don't have it.
I wonder how often we pay for Priority mail but don't really get it. My friend could have sent it First Class and it'd get here in the same amount of time for less money.
Grrr.
If it doesn't arrive today I'm going to call the Post Master and complain although it won't really do any good.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:10 PM

My post office wont ship if the label says a diffrent date. I found this out the hard wat last time I sold things on the board. I took things down to get prices and he printed labels and put them on. When I went to walk out he aske me where I was going with all the packages.(small town one trafic light ,three parking places at the post office etc) I told him I would bring them bach when I recieved the money. He said it had to go out that day. Must be a pretty strict rulle cause my Postmaster is a happy go lucky guy that wouldn't do that if he didn't have to.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:55 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by raedar63
My post office wont ship if the label says a diffrent date. I found this out the hard wat last time I sold things on the board. I took things down to get prices and he printed labels and put them on. When I went to walk out he aske me where I was going with all the packages.(small town one trafic light ,three parking places at the post office etc) I told him I would bring them bach when I recieved the money. He said it had to go out that day. Must be a pretty strict rulle cause my Postmaster is a happy go lucky guy that wouldn't do that if he didn't have to.
this is getting a bit overheated, don'tcha think? ;-)

i will use myself as an example. i usually manage to get things to the PO on the same day i print the postage. but there have been times that i've been so swamped at the office, i just can't get away long enough to make the trip and drop them off. i've carried packages around for days before turning them over to the PO. fortunately, none of them have ever been returned.

your Postmaster stuck to the rules. Nobody could fault him for that. If you read all the complaints in this one post alone, add all the nasty things people have written about the post office in past topics at this board alone, you'll understand why the post office wants people to mail things on the day the postage was printed.

if something arrives later than expected, nearly everyone automatically blames the post office. they forget every instance in which packages were delivered in less than 2-3 days. they forget that mail handlers and mail carriers are our friends and neighbors. they forget that it's a back-breaking and nearly thankless job performed consistently under conditions that would keep most of us huddled at home with our binkies.

so ... this essay is to verify both sides of the story and to publicly apologize to every mail carrier who's been blamed for my failure to get the packages into the system on time.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:21 AM

It all goes back to 9/11. If it weighs over a certain amount and meets other criteria, it is considered a possible hazard and stickered. It has been a couple of years since I left the Post Office, but there were specific instructions on how to handle such packages. I once found a parcel in our outside box that had a postage tape on it, from another Post Office locally. There was no reason for it to be in our outside box -- it was handled as a possible hazardous parcel.

You would be surprised what people will try to get by with, someone tried to use the cover from a book of stamps as postage.

I was frequently surprised at how some mail ever reached its destination. It became apparent a lot of individuals have no idea how to address an envelope. I could understand the very old customers who probably never finished school. But High Schoolers, had no clue where the address should be. Plus, all those cute little stickers people put on the outside of envelopes can screw up the machines putting barcodes on envelopes and they can wind up thousands of miles from there destination.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:53 AM

So What happened with this package?? Whose fault was it??
Old 03-17-2011, 03:33 AM

Well after reading the posts I see I'm not the only one who's been disappointed in Priority mail.
But somehow everyone thinks the package is for something I bought on ebay (I didn't) or paid through Paypal (no again).

I went to USPS and signed up for email alerts plus I had the tracking number.
We've had trouble with this mailman before because he doesn't like the landlord of my apartment complex. They got into a feud somehow. I don't know if it's personal or business.
But I've had to call the Post Master twice about my regular mail and she said "You're not the only one who's complained about him."
So why don't they discipline him?

BTW the package finally came late yesterday afternoon.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:37 AM
Power Poster

i ship priority mail so that it can be tracked...if you just send first class it can go missing for a long time (or forever) with no way to even start looking for it; at least with priority you can look to see where it is-it's peace of mind to me-also i have found there is a better chance of it not getting lost...they seem to pay a little more attention than otherwise.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:39 AM
Banned

I ship 1st Class everyday with delivery confirmation so they are trackable. I print my own labels thru Paypal. They get there just as fast as priority.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-170829.gif  
Old 03-17-2011, 03:50 AM
MTS
Banned

That is a totally different situation. The labels that are being discussed upthread are the ones bought, paid for, and printed at home on PayPal or USPS.com.

The postage metered labels that are printed AT THE COUNTER in the PO must be mailed that day. I'm not sure of the reasoning but it's always been that way.

Interestingly, the labels bought at the kiosk in the lobby of a PO aren't checked the same way. When my printer suddenly died one evening, I bought labels and didn't send them out until the next day or two after.

For whatever the policy is, it's just those small ones printed by a postal clerk that MUST ship the same day.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:58 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
Well after reading the posts I see I'm not the only one who's been disappointed in Priority mail.
But somehow everyone thinks the package is for something I bought on ebay (I didn't) or paid through Paypal (no again).

I went to USPS and signed up for email alerts plus I had the tracking number.
We've had trouble with this mailman before because he doesn't like the landlord of my apartment complex. They got into a feud somehow. I don't know if it's personal or business.
But I've had to call the Post Master twice about my regular mail and she said "You're not the only one who's complained about him."
So why don't they discipline him?

BTW the package finally came late yesterday afternoon.
Well, it might have been helpful if you mentioned in your original post here:
I am using the tracking number to follow it online and it shows that it has sat in the local post office since Sat. March 12.
that the post office you were referencing was your own, and the postmaster you wanted to contact was also local.

Really, I'm rarely on the USPS's bandwagon, but if you've got a rogue employee in YOUR LOCAL PO, it's hardly has anything to with Priority mail (which is not a guaranteed service).

And if it's a continuing problem, you need to start going up the postal food chain. Your local postmaster has a boss. Start there.