Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So whats the facination on collecting buttons? >

So whats the facination on collecting buttons?

So whats the facination on collecting buttons?

Old 04-11-2011, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

I guess if I came to your house and saw several jars with bottons, I would jump to the conclusion that you love and collect buttons. That's probably happened with the relatives, and if you don't set them straight they will continue to think that they are making you very happy by bringing you more buttons. Actually that's not such a bad thing, is it? Costs them little, shows that they care about you, and the jars of buttons must make a pretty display.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:23 AM

I think you are very lucky that your family and friends think enough of you to take the time to save and give them to you. Put them in old jars and use them for eye candy.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:32 AM

My sister collected salt and pepper shakers for years and everyone knew it. She was collecting specific ones but we didn't know the difference. We were just happy that we knew what to get her for holidays and suveniers from travel. After about 15 years of getting s&p shakers she didn't want she finally started telling people-no more, please.

She told me that she had only started collected them because she saw a couple really cute, old ones at her grandmother-in-laws house and she gave them to her. It really wasn't supposed to be the start of a great collection.

So tell all your button suppliers that you appreciate them thinking of you but you don't really do anything with buttons. Just be honest and up front. They may be embarrassed that they just assumed or they may be sad they no longer have a simple gift to give you.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:41 AM

i love buttons too,don't know why, but i have tons and tons of them. When i was little i use to play with my mothers, i sorted them and strung them for her lol. My fascination is still here.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:11 PM

Here's a few ideas, of course my buttons are mostly old ones except for figural which I will use as tiny garden additions...see old scrap block. I can't find my finished blocks but picking out buttons for them is fun! Do not use the hard plastic ones on something you're going to put in the W&D. I started off putting big buttons on corners where it wasn't matched up square. I recently made a Sunbonnet girl redwork w/old red buttons (all different) but squares were near perfect but gave a nice look to it. Younger girls like to make bracelets on elastic thread.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-182812.jpe   attachment-182813.jpe   attachment-182814.jpe  
Old 04-11-2011, 12:18 PM

I love buttons too. Maybe because I played with my aunt's coffee can full of buttons when I was little? I've got those and couple of other collections people have given me and I've been known to pick a few up when antique shopping. I have never done a thing but look at them...lol
Old 04-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

oh my goodness- to be so lucky!!! i had a secret sister a few years ago who found me cards of buttons through out the year- they were the GREATEST gifts! if you do not want to collect your buttons pass them on -- plenty of people would go crazy for your buttons!

when i was just a little girl i remember sitting on the floor with an old tin full of grandma's buttons- looking for the perfect one for the doll dress we were making- i LOVED playing in those buttons! and i still do- i actually have pop-corn tins of buttons! i love them and lucky lucky me- my youngest granddaughter can spend a long time sitting on the floor looking through a tin of buttons too- so i know the love is carrying on.
there are so many different buttons- different materials-
i have walked into antique shops and bought canning jars of buttons- small tins full- and i save them off any clothing that is being re-cycled or disposed of.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:37 PM

Oh I love buttons!
I saw some button heart pictures and realised I could make it myself for a fraction of the cost. Also buttons are fantastic to occupy kids on a wet day as they are really easy to string together as jewellery and hanging heart decorations!
Old 04-11-2011, 12:51 PM

I received & occasionally wear a bracelet, made like the
Christmas wreath with buttons. It is on an elastic band for
easy off & on.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

I love buttons too! They are fun additions to small quilts and wall hangings, make cute jewelry, and just plain fun to play in! :)