Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder >
  • Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder

• Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder

Old 04-15-2011, 07:59 AM

OK, I am coming through your area this fall. I will help with the "Quilt Intervention" and bring whatever you can part with back to Montana!!!

Seriously, I think most of us have a bit of a problem like that. I don't buy many kits, but I sure have a lot of fabric! I have really been trying to use my stash and only buying something if I absolutely need it for a specific project. I've actually been doing pretty good and hope to stay that way. At least until I take my trip to Lancaster again this fall!!!
    Old 04-15-2011, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    OK Mike, weren't you just asking, like 2 or 3 days ago about the names of quilt shops for you to visit on your road trip? Just wondering...
    I remember!!!

So funny. I was going to type out a long response about how I can totally relate. What started as a shoebox of supplies for my first lap quilt has grown at alarming speed. But I don't have time for a long response - heck - it's my lunch break and I've got to scurry on over to the sale at the LQS!
    Old 04-15-2011, 08:21 AM

You have me beat. We just built a new house with a 31 x 14 sewing room with a huge walk in closet. I brought my stash in from the barn (stored in huge rubber maid totes) and it fills that room plus one of the spare bedrooms. Anyone want to come help organize it? Yes, I think a TV show on fabric hoarding is needed here.
    Old 04-15-2011, 08:23 AM

Hi Michael, I'm Kathy and I'm a fabric hoarder also.

I just recently cleaned up and found a few kits I have forgotten about also. I thingk we all do it. I put all my kits in one place so I can see what I have when I want to start a new project. I'm also trying to use what I have.
    Old 04-15-2011, 08:23 AM

Sounds like you need to get busy and get some things done. LOL But I don't think you're alone. LOL
    Old 04-15-2011, 08:34 AM

Welcome to the club!
    Old 04-15-2011, 08:34 AM

Hi Michael.....take a deep breath.....It's going to be ok. Now get your favorite piece of fabric & caress it & breath deeply. It will all come back to you when you feel that cotton fabric WHY you bought it anyway! This addiction is ok, we aren't hurting ourselves or anyone around us. Our fabric brings us much needed happiness when others are too busy for us. The end result brings happiness not only to us but to others that share in our quilting. So it's ok, go ahead & get your tablet out & start making your list for your next fabric shopping trip!
    Old 04-15-2011, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by miholmes
    What is it about fabric?

I've been quilting for a little over a year now. And after my last quilt I started to organize my fabric.....YIKES!!

How many times can you say...OHHH I remember that KIT I forgot I had that!

Or...That's RIGHT I got this cute baby flannel for the next time I needed to make a baby quilt. (I've done 4 since getting that fabric)

I have jelly rolls galore and then 1/4 yard of fabric just cause I thought they were fun.

So after going through EVERY tub I'm embarrased to say there really wasn't alot of scraps.....most were KITS.....fabric, plus the backing I bought after getting the kit and the patterns....KITS....many are queen sized....those aren't cheap.

I realize it will be hard to quilt cold turkey but unless there is a project I'm doing for someone that I HAVE to get done and they pick a specific fabric, I really need to use what I have.

I mean I know we kid about it alot, but there's hundreds if not a thousand or more dollars in my sewing room. Granted they are all now organized with a digital picture of the kit taped to the front of the projects bag. But it's an entire kitchen island full, several plastic tubs, and a shelf stacked with jelly rolls (did I mention I've only ever done 1 quilt with a jelly roll)

WHY are we so obsessed with this stuff?!?!?! I was actually slighty horrified that I couldn't even REMEMBER buying some of these kits.

So we'll see how long I can stay on the non-fabric purchasing wagon....cause it's OUT OF CONTROL! I think Discover needs to have a new show.....Quilting - INTERVENTION! Cause I think I would be a candidate.

P.S. I forgot to mention I found 3 kits in the little secret cubby in the trunk of my RAV4......THREE.....I was too ashamed to bring them in the house. :P
    Destash in a Flash Program

I feel your pain! I am willing to you. It's a twelve step program, but don't worry it will only take 12 days to complete.
    Day 1. send me a small piece of fabric, to help you let go
    Day 2. send me a larger pc of fab, part of the program
    Day 3. Send me 2 yds of fab,step program related of course
    Day 4. send me a small tote of fab, take deep breathe ok
    Day 5. send me med. tote, doing great
    Day 6. send me 2 med. totes,hang in there almost a wk
    Day 7. send me 1 lg tote, just to celebrate wk 1
    Day 8. send me 2 lg totes, starting week 2
    Day 9. send me 3 lg totes, hang in there u'r doing great
    Day 10.send me as much as you can let go of now.
    Day 11.send me everything else you don't want to keep
    Day 12. send me all that you really couldn't decide if you
    wanted to keep.
    CONGRATULATIONS!! You have just completed the program and will receive many thanks from me and a strong sense of accomplishment for yourself.
    If you should feel this addiction starting to attack you again, it is okay, I'll remain here to walk you thru again.
    It is perfectly okay to share this with any one else with the same problem. I feel it is my duty to help all those in need! :thumbup:
    Old 04-15-2011, 08:48 AM

I have eight HUGE bins of pre-cuts. My fatquarter bundles are examples of the whos-who of the fabric manufacturers. I check fatquarter.com, fabricshack, connecting threads, and keepsakes quilting DAILY for sales. Then I go down the list of the fab shop hop just for kicks and giggles. I will not buy yardage until I go to the states but I am saving a nice little bundle just for that and my sizzix big shot pro westminister edition cutter. Yes....I have fabulous fabric buying plans for my trip to the states! I am a fabriholic...and so what! lol.
    Old 04-15-2011, 09:00 AM

My name is Cheryl. I'm a fabric hoarder.

I 'find' kits that I've made up or purchased and forgot that I had and they become 'new' again.

I drive by a quilt shop and wonder if I can squeeze another $30.00 from the budget to stop and see if they have anything I 'might' need.

I know I have enough time to stop, just wondering if I have enough cash to stop.

Then I remember I still have to get gas for the car. Let's see at $3.96 a gallon times 18 gallons comes up to about $72.00. Now if I promise myself to stay home, not eat out, only buy bread, milk, eggs, you know perishables I should be able to spend $30.00 of the gas money. (This all said as I make a hard right at the next stop sign.)

I'm not sure if my addiction is fabric (heaven knows I don't need any), seeing the possibilities on the wall at the LQS, or knowing that after I'm sprouting up daisy's that there will be part of me that lives on??

Whichever it might be, Mike, you're in good company. Welcome to the club....line forms on the right.