Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder >
  • Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder

• Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder

Old 04-15-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Shirleyg
    So let's just not stress over it and come to this board to confess and make us feel better. We are not alone in doing this. I was watching a show on TLC called extreme couponing and after that I don't feel bad about my fabric at all. Some of those people had thousands of one item just because they had a coupon for it and doing that took them hours just to prepare to go grocery shoping. To me that's food hording but hay, if that makes them feel good then who am I to judge...
    I watched Extreme Couponing and I had to stop I got so mad! Ok, first of all: Why is food hoarding called 'stockpiling' but fabric 'stockpiling' is called hoarding? No. Just no.

Secondly: I am extremely offended by the sight of the person clearing the shelf of mustard. What about other people who might have a coupon and would like to buy that brand but now can't? No one should be allowed to do that.

I believe that kind of shopping also drives food prices up because the manufacturers think there is more demand than there really is which then creates a false mini shortage and drives the prices up. Perhaps this sounds judgmental but in these times where there are people who can just barely get enough food to feed their families I really don't like seeing people proudly showing off their homes stuffed with more food and goods than they can ever use in the product's lifetime.
    Old 04-15-2011, 09:40 AM

Welcome to our "happy fabric hoarding world".....

Enjoy !!! :lol:
    Old 04-15-2011, 09:41 AM

It's not hoarding, it's a well loved collection that just happens to span several rooms.
    Old 04-15-2011, 09:55 AM

anytime u feel a need to purge... I'd be happy to send u my address!!LOL
    Old 04-15-2011, 09:55 AM

BTW, I didn't mean to hijack Michael's thread with coupon talk! I think we all have a bit of the same issue. All those beautiful fabrics represent such wonderful possibility! I have a very addictive personality so I have to be super careful. I promised myself that when I started quilitng that I would not stash fabric. Especially since I had a huge yarn stash, plus a spinning wheel and a huge fiber stash.

I was good for a bit. Only bought for the project I was working on. It was easy enough especially because I ususally work on two or three projects at a time. Then I fell in love with Daiwabo Taupes and I began stashing! Oh gosh. Finances have made me slow down on that since it is quite expensive but I can still get in a couple of fat quarters or a half yard piece or two. :)

I used to have this fantasy: I would have enough (fabric, food ingredients, luggage, etc. etc) to make, cook, bake, pack for a trip, whatever the activity was, in my house at all times. I didn't want to have to go out to the store and buy everytime I wanted to do something. I wanted to have everything on hand. Yeah, not a good idea. So, I did some destashing and a lot of cooking, baking and got those items down. Somethings it is fun to go out and get something new. Enjoy your fabric and kits, try to whittle them down by making gifts and things for yourself too and have fun. As the previous poster said, as long as you're ok on your budget - it's all good!

P.S. I enjoyed looking at your blog. And you CAN NOT pass up the opportunity to visit different QS on a cross country trip. To do so would be crazy! :thumbup:
    Old 04-15-2011, 10:01 AM

Ah com'on. If there's a cure would you take it? Not me.

I started out too broke to buy fabric and had to scrounge. After over thirty years later I'm back in the same boat but I have a glorius history of quilts to look back on. Hint: don't buy kits, learn to design your own and shop your stash.
    Old 04-15-2011, 10:29 AM

You could always stack your tubs up nicely and put a lovely table cloth over them. You have new table space; end tables ect. What is wrong with just looking in new quilt shops?
    Old 04-15-2011, 10:34 AM
    Power Poster

Fabric prices continue to climb, so I am "investing" in my quilting future :wink:
    As long as I pay my bills and can comfortably afford to buy fabric I don't feel the least bit guilty in adding to my "investment" :D:D:D
    Old 04-15-2011, 10:38 AM

SHHH!!!! Don't Tell!! :lol:
    Old 04-15-2011, 10:41 AM

Hoarder? Sounds so negative.......wouldn't you rather be considered a "Fabricologist?" Seriously, Michael, you're in good company with this board....I read every one of these posts and feel like I'm definitely among kindred spirits!

I, too, however have found things that I forgot about....I've been wondering if, instead of just labeling the product with the project picture, would it work to keep a photo notebook of what you have in the house? Kind of a "library"? I'm just asking because I've been thinking about it for myself.....and I think I might work on it, right after I get back from my LQS! LOL!!!!!