Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to quilt in a travel trailer? >

How to quilt in a travel trailer?

How to quilt in a travel trailer?

Old 04-23-2011, 07:28 AM

I would think pre-cuts might be good. Jelly rolls and layer cakes don't take much space and not much cutting. I like the idea of organizing your projects into kits. Maybe concentrate on putting the blocks together during this time and assemble the top when you're settled into your new place.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:36 AM

I lived in a travel trailer with 3 small kids. At that point, I didn't do any hobbies, except counted cross stitch which isn't very space hoggy. I don't think, but if I had to do it again, I'd do as you suggest and make up kits ahead of time.

Since you are only going to be there three months, I'd also just do the tops and wait to do the actual quilting later--when you have a bit more space.

:)

You can do it. Life in a trailer can get old, so you will want to "get out" more, but it isn't all bad. Three months is certainly doable. I think we lived in our s 3 years while hubby was finishing up a doctorate and we needed to live "cheap".
Old 04-23-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug
3 months in a trailer with three teenagers, hubby and animals...they would have to commit me...Good luck with that...
Pretty much what I was thinking. Maybe a good bar is in order. :wink: Don't forget the blender!
Old 04-23-2011, 07:56 AM

We lived in a 5th wheel for 2 years. That's where I started quilting. Every inch of space becomes storage. I didn't keep a stash, just bought what I needed for each project. Cut and pieced on the dining table. Used the park rec room to sandwich quilts (1 king, 2 queens). Quilted SID. Cutting mats will slip between mattress and bed base. Rotary cutters, scissors, etc. in a plastic tub in any cubby (over bed?). Portable machine covered in any corner. It will work. Have fun.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:59 AM

I use the overhead storage above our bed and also utilize the space under the bed. Hand quilt in my chair and cut out on my table. Not much space to work with but you can do it. We took out our couch to and put in a recliner for me and the space behind it will store lots of stuff. Sewing machine goes in the closet floor and then to the table when needed. Where there is a will there is a way. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug
3 months in a trailer with three teenagers, hubby and animals...they would have to commit me...Good luck with that...
LOL :)
Old 04-23-2011, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Becky Crafts
A lot depends on the motorhome. Ours is an old model;almost no storage..long hallway & we're FTr's. Sewing machine stored beside beside bed. Stash is in boxes & bags under my recliner. Some have storage (space) behind couch & use that area. Others keep stuff under the bed in that storage area. We had to get rid of our couch to install the bird cage, so I sew in my recliner on a wooden TV tray. You'll have more space than I do, I'm sure. I cut on top of the stove top cover. Suggestion: get or bring an Ottlite. You'll need it because lighting is worse than horrid in these units unless they've improved immensely!
Becky, wern't you just busted yesterday for your stash that was stored under your recliner? :lol:
Old 04-23-2011, 09:36 AM

I would make up kits as others have said so that you have plenty of hand sewing if you need it. Do you knit? Needles and wool take up very little room and there is some stunning wool out there nowadays.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

If you work a lot with FQs you can use a small cutting mat or one of those combined folding cutting mat/ironing boards. Then you can use a traveling iron and the prep space is complete. Only pack for one project at a time and you should be good to go. How are you with hand-work? Maybe time to learn applique or english paper piecing?
Old 04-23-2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by ashlett
I would make up kits as others have said so that you have plenty of hand sewing if you need it. Do you knit? Needles and wool take up very little room and there is some stunning wool out there nowadays.
Have crocheted a couple of aphgans but have not been very successful with knitting, plus with all my hot flashes being surrounded by something hot I do not think I could handle it. I was thinking about getting a cross stitch kit.