Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
a shoulder to cry on >

a shoulder to cry on

a shoulder to cry on

Old 05-05-2011, 11:17 AM

im sorry! keep looking!
Old 05-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

Goodness start telling everyone you know and don't know you need a sewing machine. Someone will have one stuck in the closet. Ebay has some great buys on older machines in excellent condition. Sears has great machines for the best price and very low monthly payments at Sears! White makes Kenmores now and White makes all the Janome machines.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mona Lisa 2011
I need some one to commiserate with me. My sewing machine just died! I took it to the repair shop for a free estimate, but you know what that means.
I sew on my machine everyday and now that last simple pleasure is taken away.
I must say it has been a good friend to me since 1984. It is a Singer and was one of the first electronic ones on the market. You know.... when the Singer name meant quality!
I have looked at "new" machines, but the ones that compare to mine are so expensive.
It looks like I will be hanging up my quilting. Getting old is not for the faint at heart!

Bless your heart! If you live close to me, I'd let you share mine.
Keep your eyes open at the yard sales. Maybe you can find something.
Hugs!
Old 05-05-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Goodness start telling everyone you know and don't know you need a sewing machine. Someone will have one stuck in the closet. Ebay has some great buys on older machines in excellent condition. Sears has great machines for the best price and very low monthly payments at Sears! White makes Kenmores now and White makes all the Janome machines.
Ditto. After I got my FW a friend gave me her sewing machine that had sat around in it's unopened box for years, a Kenmore.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:48 AM

There are definately machines out there and they are often very inexpensive or free. In the last couple of years I have been given an almost new Brother, a 457 Singer, a Husqvarna 350 Prelude, a serger, a 201 Singer and a Featherweight! Put the word out at your local quilt shop, guild and church and you may be surprised at what turns up on your porch. I have shared some of my machine "gifts" with other quilters, my local 4-H, my daughter and kept some for me! If you're in Southern Ontario, I'll share with you too.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:18 PM

You never know, I just gifted someone a new kenmore that someone have given to me, It was one of the 100 dollar ones, I have a 30 year old kenmore that works fine and she needed it more than me. That was 3 weeks ago and she has turned out 2 beautiful quilts, no need to have to have a fancy one :)
If you have a stash of fabric bet you couls sell some and make a hundred bucks pretty fast on here!
Old 05-05-2011, 12:33 PM

I paid $61 for my 1956 Singer 301 and she quilts better than my Elna. Garage sale season is coming. There's a machine for you out there.

Sorry about you machine. I'd be sad if my Elna had a problem. When you've been together for years, you get attached.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:38 PM
RDM

How horrible to be without a machine, but don't despair as like others have shared, there's a machine just waiting to be treasured. My hope for you is that soon you'll find it. Check out Craig's list, yard sales, estate sales, and this board. If you have a local dealer, let them know you're looking for a good decent trade-in machine. Possibilities are out there.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:52 PM

Theres a wanted section on Craigs list try to post there.
Don't give up!
I live pretty close to ST Louis and theres sewing machines on Craigs list almost every day.
Try a city near you.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:52 PM

At various times I have had as many as 12 portable machines around the house, along with a non-portable and a treadle. They were almost all free. Check out your local thrift stores too. And while you are at it, pick up a spare or two.