Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Flannel Quilts >
  • Flannel Quilts

• Flannel Quilts

Old 05-08-2011, 05:41 PM

Last year for Christmas I gave my three small gransons, scrap quilts made from the left over flannel that I saved from making them flannel pants. I backed them in flannel also. They loved them.
    Old 05-08-2011, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by chickadeee55
    Ok, does anyone make flannel quilts? I don't mean now, now that warm weather is here, but other times.

The second quilt I ever made was flannel and I have made three more since then. But I don't see many pictures of finished flannel quilts on the forum, so just wondering is this something that most don't make.

I know in WI, they come in handy and I also like putting flannel backing on a cotton front. Helps prevent slipping off the bed and alittle more cozy.
    I have made flannel quilts pieced and rag. I love the coziness flannel has. Yes we too in Minnesota find quilts come in handy. With flannel i usually buy the best flannel I can buy. It seems to hold up better and doesn't shrink as much. Don't ask how I know that...
    Old 05-08-2011, 07:40 PM

I have made several flannel quilts. I made 2 with muslin backs and cotton batting, and 2 with flannel backs and cotton batting. The two with flannel backs are the ones that get fought over!
    Old 05-08-2011, 09:43 PM

I'm making a flannel baby quilt right now. I'm using flannel for both front and back. I like the feel of flannel. It's cozy. :-)
    Old 05-08-2011, 10:10 PM

I have made rag quilts but have you ever made them as QAYG with connecting strips?
    Old 05-09-2011, 12:56 AM

I make a couple of flannel quilts every year. My elderly mom doesn't care for them because she says they are too heavy on her. My DD really likes them and sometimes I use flannel as backing because it makes the quilt less likely to slide off ones lap. I like them because the are warm and soft.
    Old 05-09-2011, 01:22 AM

I have only put flannel on the backs of baby quilts too. But I have thought about using flannel on other quilts.
    Old 05-09-2011, 01:24 AM

You're right. They are nice in Wisconsin. I have made two Queen size and numerous lap size flannel quilts. Tops and backs are all flannel. They were hand quilted (outline).
    I am wondering if anyone has washed a finished queen size flannel quilt? I'm sure that my washer and dryer are not up to the challenge but I hate to think about a laundromat. I have washed lap size ones and they seem to do fine.
    Old 05-09-2011, 03:08 AM

I made a baby quilt with flannel and then several rag quilts using flannel. They are soft and warm. Unfortunately the flannel baby quilt(given to my daughter for my gb) moved to Florida and is a wall hanging-too hot!! HA HA
    Old 05-09-2011, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by chickadeee55
    Ok, does anyone make flannel quilts? I don't mean now, now that warm weather is here, but other times.

The second quilt I ever made was flannel and I have made three more since then. But I don't see many pictures of finished flannel quilts on the forum, so just wondering is this something that most don't make.

I know in WI, they come in handy and I also like putting flannel backing on a cotton front. Helps prevent slipping off the bed and alittle more cozy.
    I have made a couple of baby quilts completely with flannel. Flannel can be hard to work with if not properly prepared. I buy extra fabric and wash in warm water (usually with a color catcher) and machine dry on high. It is going to shrink quite a bit and it's better that it shrinks before I cut and sew. I also make 1/2 " seams and press open. I starch the back side of the flannel and my sewing machine likes it much better. Also easier to work with. When I'm done with everything, wash again and hang or lie flat on a clean sheet (mine lies on a long table) and let dry. For extra softening, a little fabric softener and when barely damp, put back in dryer on low. Beautiful, soft, and warm. Sometimes I don't use batt but if I do I use Warm and White. Nothing slips and slides while stitching.