Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For those familiar with showing, question about hanging sleeve >

For those familiar with showing, question about hanging sleeve

For those familiar with showing, question about hanging sleeve

Old 05-09-2011, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the info
Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by sewingsuz
I did not incorporate a sleeve and my quilt is finished so I have to add one after the fact for a show in the fall also. Can it be a tempory one?
Well, if depends on the show rules. They might insist that the sleeve be sewn on. I've quilts get knocked out of guild shows because a) there wasn't a sleeve, or b) it wasn't up to the standard requested in the rules.

Of course, ror any of the big shows, it definitely must be permanently attached (well, you can always cut the stitches to get it off later if you wanted/needed).

If you really want it temporary without going through all the sewing, you can attach the sleeve to the back with carefully placed safety pins. And depending on the size of the quilt, you might be able to get away with two smaller sleeves on each end, instead of one loooong one.

eta: Even if the quilt is going to be a bed quilt or a throw, if the sleeve is securely fastened, then it really shouldn't cause much of problem in day-to-day living. Just leave it on. But it has to be sewn on very thoroughly. ;-)
Old 05-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Power Poster

I'll echo what MTS has suggested ... safety pins!

Be sure to check the show rules. When I entered my quilts last year, the show instructions stated the pocket size and it said they could be permanently on the quilt of attached with safety pins.

Also, as said, be sure to follow their rules or you might as well not take it. And don't forget your fabric samples .... that was a major issue for me, as I was digging for those for my "proof" .... and with over 50 fabrics in the quilt, not an easy task!
Old 05-09-2011, 07:59 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by QuiltE
And don't forget your fabric samples .... that was a major issue for me, as I was digging for those for my "proof" .... and with over 50 fabrics in the quilt, not an easy task!
Huh? That's a new one. What's the deal? What did you have to prove?
Old 05-09-2011, 08:03 PM

Yeah, I've not run into that before either even at big shows.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by QuiltE
And don't forget your fabric samples .... that was a major issue for me, as I was digging for those for my "proof" .... and with over 50 fabrics in the quilt, not an easy task!
Huh? That's a new one. What's the deal? What did you have to prove?
Really?

We have to provide pieces of fabric .... I think it's to prove that we made it, rather than having gone and purchased the quilt. Last year was my first time showing, and I was so nervous at all the protocols and whether I'd do them right. Had not clue how to present the different fabric pieces ..... I noticed that some literally gave scraps on safety pins. Some had squares of each piece all nicely cut. One lady I met showed me hers .... nice sized pieces of each except for one where she had found a scrap about the size of a postage stamp!

Now, if I think there's any chance I might show the quilt, I've been stashing the pieces in an envelope, to be ready!
Old 05-09-2011, 08:14 PM
MTS
Banned

That is the most insane thing I've ever heard.

And if you happen to have 200 fabrics in your quilt, do you have to have a swatch for EACH one?
And this is for just a little guild show?

Have they had a lot of instances of fraud in the past? :roll:

Wow! I have really been out of the loop.;-)

I'm going to start looking for this in the future. I like to check out how guild shows handle different issues, even if I have absolutely no intention of going to the show. I've never come across this. Duo quilts vs. group quilts - that kind of stuff I see all the time.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Power Poster

I don't think so ... I think it's just been the trend for years and years.

I tried to find out, if I had to have it for ALL or most or what ... didn't get a direct answer. And each time though, was reminded that I'd better make sure I followed the rules .... then tell me the rules and answer my questions! :)

It was kind of a last minute decision to enter last year, in two shows ... and so I was panicking and dashing to get them ready. Thankfully, only the one show required the rod pockets! So that saved some work for me. Have kept my pockets and safety pins, ready and waiting for another time.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:30 PM
MTS
Banned

Wow.
Just wow.

I'm actually sitting her laughing trying to think of scenarios that would warrant a rule like that.

I mean, really, am I going to buy a Caryl Bryer Fallert quilt for $50,000 and attempt to pass it off as my own in the little local quilt show?

So I could win a $200 Best of Show award? And no one would notice? "Hey, your FMQ has really improved in the last week."

And if I did pay someone to make a quilt for me to pass off as my own, couldn't I just ask for the leftover scraps - which I paid for?

Sorry, I went off on a tangent there. I'm back.
Hysterical. ;-)

Thanks, though, for the enlightening information.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:35 PM

Maybe it's just a Canadian thing?? I can see it now...scalpers selling black market fabric samples outside the doors of quilt shows! :roll:
Old 05-09-2011, 08:35 PM
Power Poster

I know what you mean ... I also thought about how they could just ask for the scraps when they bought a quilt too.

Oh well ... no doubt there was good intent at one time and it has just continued.

I get frustrated, as I don't do my own quilting ... and most of the shows and classes, you must have done the whole thing. Some do have one class for those who did not do the quilting .... so I get to enter one, while other people enter a bunch. Oh well! :)