Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • RV users  question about flooring? >
  • RV users question about flooring?

• RV users question about flooring?

Old 05-21-2011, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by GreatStarter
    Thank you for all the info. I guess I should have included more info. We bought our 5th wheel used, had faded carpeting which started out light blue-now a hideous color that makes me feel like throwing up. We don't have any slide outs, so that issue is solved. The reason I want the VINAL "wood laminate look" is because it is lighter weight. Also it floats, so no nails or staples, which would damage the underlayers, plus plumbing, etc. Different companies make vinal strips that attach to each other with an overlap with a sticky strip on them. I really wondered if anyone had done it as I was warned by a man who had done it that they forgot to check on kind that would not cause dogs to go sliding when they tried to walk across it. After doing his he had found out there were some kinds that had slight ridges in it so not so slippery for pets. However he couldn't remember the brand. ( Please note: our dog rides in our truck securely harnessed). So does anyone else who has done it, know of the brand that is good for pets? Thanks in advance.
    Kat
    okay - we have the ridged kind in the house, and the laminate with no ridges in the shop. I'd say that if you dog can walk on a vinyl floor in your house, it's no different than in the RV. If you dog is harnessed while moving. The dogs learn.....they really do. I DO have a friend that brought her old dog........that poor dog was afraid of its reflection in the floor!! The kind from Lowes that is vinyl, and $.97 or $.98 a foot is EASY to put in. NO nails, etc. No glue either!!! That's what we just put in the shop and I walk across it in my stocking feet and don't slip or slide.
    Old 05-23-2011, 12:40 PM

Again thanks for your answers. We don't have wood laminate floors in our house. So no idea if dog will slip on them. In camper we want vinyl (wood laminate looking) flooring. My real concern is if our small dog will get hurt jumping off my lap when I sit on couch. Man we met warned about dog sliding and being injured on wrong kind of vinyl flooring in rv.
    Thanks
    Kat
    Old 05-23-2011, 01:26 PM

A few tips for dogs on floors with slippery floors (vinyl, ceramic, whatever). While I totally agree that the best floor for dogs are non-slip survaces, there are ways to help our friends get along in "our" world.

1) Keep the toenails trimmed. On average, trim dogs nails 7-10 days. I prefer using a grinder as opposed to a cutter. Makes a much smoother edge which prevents dog from scratching you or his own skin (the ear skin is so thin and tender!), and prevents nails from snagging on clothing and carpeting that could tear the nail (OUCH!). If you hear your dogs toenails on the floor (clickety-clickety-click), then the nails are too long. Short tight nails promote healthy feet. Long nails can cause lots and lots of problems including permanant orthopedic problems.

2) You can either shave, or trim the hair from the bottom of the feet if he has very hairy feet. My Kuvasz don't get too much hair on the bottoms of their feet, but my Samoyed used to get really bad hair growth and required a monthly trim.

If your dog's nails have been allowed to grow long it may take a while before you notice a difference in his traction. The reason is that if the nail is so long that it touches the floor in front of the of the foot, it causes the arch in the toe to flatten out and the toes to splay. In very severe cases, the pastern ("wrist" - just above the foot) will bend as well and it's not likely this orthopedic problem is correctable without prosthetics. It will take a while of short nails on good surfaces (grass, dirt, sand) for his feet to get back into shape.