Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!! Why is my applique puckering??? >

HELP!! Why is my applique puckering???

HELP!! Why is my applique puckering???

Old 05-31-2011, 02:04 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I like Steam a Seam because it's repositionable until ironed and I like to use an iron on interfacing (Vilene here in the UK) under the background piece - not on the applique piece itself. I'm currently working on some now and I am using invisible thread on top, Invisifil in the bobbin and a zigzag that on my machine is 2.0 in width and 1.5 in length. Hope this helps. Perhaps your spray adhesive has over wet the fabric causing it to pucker? Regarding spray starch, I don't use it with any fusible product as it can prevent it from sticking.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:44 AM

First thing that came to my mind was, make a slit behind the bear and top, stuff it a little bit and make the bears dimensional.
If you want them flatter, you need to use the interfacing and iron them on.

Carol J.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like maybe your bobbin thread tension is too tight. The bobbin thread travels from one side of the zig to the other zag, if it is too tight it can cause tunneling. I put the same thread in the bobbin as in the top spool and ease off the bobbin thread tension (bobbin screw -tighty righty or lefty loosey) until I get the look I want on a scrap. If a little of the bobbin thread ends up coming up, ir doesn't show because they are the same thread. Good Luck!
Old 05-31-2011, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

Hi, After reading some of the replies, I agree that the stitch may be too tight, but I love the idea of slitting the back and making the bear into a trapunto block, then you would want the applique to pucker and stand out. Sounds like a cute quilt. I've been watching several sewing/quilting shows (we're retired and it passes time as well as giving me great inspiration, and they use the fusible, but before fusing, they cut out some of the fusible web so that it's just a half inch or so into the applique - saves fusible product and might help with the pucking. Hope this helps.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:06 PM

I use wonder under when I do applques
Old 05-31-2011, 05:11 PM
Power Poster

i'd sew around the bear with a basting stitch, then go back and satin stitch him down.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

i'd sew around the bear with a basting stitch, then go back and satin stitch him down.
and actually, if you are doing squares before putting them into a quilt top, put some batting underneath and then stitch. it evidently needs some stabilizer