Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Left-Handed Quilters Issues? >

Left-Handed Quilters Issues?

Left-Handed Quilters Issues?

Old 06-23-2011, 01:35 PM

For the most part I can work with anything. I do have a lefty ergo cutter that I Love. It seems to affect everyone around me more, We Lefties just do things a little different.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:39 PM

Being left handed has it's challenges. For cutters, I simply moved the position of the blade. Holding the cutter in your left hand, position the blade so that it's on the inside - facing your right. I use the markings on the ruler rather than those on the mat but I still have to look twice at the lines on it before I cut. The first cut to insure a straight line is always the hardest for me. And securing the ruler so that it doesn't slip is so important. I don't have as much strength in my right hand so standing up is necessary most of the time to get good pressure and I always make sure my pinky and ring finger are off the ruler while the rest of my hand is holding it down. Scissors are a pain that I've gotten used to. Fiskars has some that are spring loaded that you do not need to cram your fingers in the wrong holes. Us lefties just find a way to make it work for our needs. Just keep in mind that there are more and more of us -- we are the only ones in our RIGHT mind!
Old 06-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

I use both hands for most things, so I usually don't have an issue. My rotary cutter is by Olfa, and has a straight handle for either hand. Scissors-I get ginghers.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by S D G
I don't have any problems. I guess I haven't found any thing that couldn't be used by both hands.
Ditto!
Old 06-23-2011, 02:00 PM

I switched the blade on my Ofla to the other side, so I can cut with my left hand. Just swap the pieces to the other side.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

First I'm left handed so I can do any thing!

I use the good old original yellow and black Olfa cutters all the time with no problem and I'm a lefty. I've had them for ten + years. Never a problem. Never, never, never! I've certainly gotten my moneys worth out of them. Some times the new and improved things, aren't!

peace :D

Sewmary, you are so right. When co- workers pick up my LHS I hear eeeeeewh. I never have problems with others useing my LHS.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:34 PM

I just don't use a hoop or frame when I hand quilt.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:55 PM

Geez, I never thought about moving the blade on my cutter. Hmmm, I guess I just make do. Sometimes, the fact that everything is made for right handed people gets really old, I must admit.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:09 PM

Lefties are used to having to accomodate with things made for right handed use...I tried to use left handed scissors and funny enought I went back to the right handed ones even though I am left handed...they felt odd to use...
I too switched my blades on the cutters...the rulers are not a problem...irons that have the cord coming out of one side instead of the back are a problem...
Old 06-23-2011, 03:34 PM

I did the same thing with my Olfa cutter. Works great! I have lefty Gingher scissors and no one else is left-handed in this house.DH knows better than to touch my scissors after he saw how much they cost! He doesn't know where i hide them either :lol: