Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Went to my first quilt guild meeting on Monday >
  • Went to my first quilt guild meeting on Monday

• Went to my first quilt guild meeting on Monday

Old 06-28-2011, 06:03 PM
    Power Poster

It's fun to meet other people and you learn lots of things.
    Old 06-28-2011, 06:19 PM
    Banned

just remember all guilds are NOT created equal...I belong to several and each of them is different...the closest one to me is the worst...in a lot of ways it really sucks...I paid my dues this year, but only plan to attend when the speaker is anything but another darn trunk show....

go to at least the two meetings before joining...but ask yourself a few questions..where you greeted at the door? did they come and introduce themselves to you? Did they explain how their groups works, does things, charity programs, etc???
    if you answered NO to any of those, you might want to rethink it!
    Old 06-28-2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by emt2004
    How do u go about finding a guild in my area? Thanks for your help, Michele
    Try here:

http://www.quiltguilds.com/new-jersey.htm
    Old 06-28-2011, 06:30 PM

I agree with all the good things you all have said. One of the best parts of guild for me is getting the chance to see friends every month. I have become very close friends with several that I don't get to see other than guild because they have out-of-the-home jobs and I don't. I've developed friendships that continue outside guild that I truly enjoy. I initially joined my guild to give me the opportunity to get away from the house and into a private "world". A world were everyone speaks the same language. I look forward to my guild day every month. Good friends, always good food, some quilts to share, inspiration to make more...what's better than that? Go, please, enjoy the whole experience. One suggestion---don't be shy and quiet. Stick your neck out and join in the fun. You'll be glad you did.
    Old 06-28-2011, 06:48 PM

The guild I joined is a little cliquey (is that spelled correctly?) anyway, you get my point. But individually, the ladies I've met have been very nice. I volunteered to sell quilt raffle tickets for one afternoon at a supermarket, conditioned on having a longer term member with me, and she and I had fun talking while selling.

Then, I raised my hand when someone suggested taking a look at updating the bylaws, since I've done that sort of thing many times, and those two ladies were very nice as well.

The best thing any quilt guild can do, IMHO, is put a lively, interesting, outgoing person in charge of new members. The worst thing for a newbie is to be ignored!
    Old 06-28-2011, 06:59 PM

I have not joined a guild either.
    Old 06-29-2011, 03:43 AM
    Power Poster

you have a monthly meet-n-greet :)
    Old 06-29-2011, 05:20 AM

I recently joined and love it. It's a great opportunity to meet other quilters. I leave there with tons of inspiration. We have guest speakers and learn new techniques as well.
    Old 06-29-2011, 05:35 AM

It took me a little while but I LOVE my guild. I wanted to meet local quilters--not just those on the internet. I have trouble--as do most people----going to an established group.

I started making quilts for the charities they support. Then I took over the Philanthropy Chairman. I now have a great group of ladies who feel the same I do about charity sewing.
    Old 06-29-2011, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Barb44
    I'm from the same area as msholly and my experience with guilds around here was not good. There was no 'fun'. Just quilt police.

msholly, hope you found a good one.
    Barb44 I went to the Dakota Prairie quilt guild in yankton and they were very nice, but I just spent 14 years in meeting at the church, and at the school, and at the town board meetings, and at the Women of the Moose, and currently at my bank job, that I am not sure about meetings. Show and tell was nice, but asked if I wanted to join, I told them I don't know how. I told them, Someone said to go to the library on the 4th Monday of the month for the guild so here I am. So I will try again next month.