Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Felt Very Judged:  Quilt tops vs Finished quilts >

I Felt Very Judged: Quilt tops vs Finished quilts

I Felt Very Judged: Quilt tops vs Finished quilts

Old 07-16-2011, 03:20 PM

Since you don't like the bulk of a quilt, maybe you would prefer what is called a summer quilt - just a top and a backing sewn together around the edges and either tied or tacked at specified areas around the quilt (top) to hold the pieces together. Or if only plan to hang them and never use them, you could just sew the edges (edges folded over and stitched) to give it a finished look. Or, there is nothing wrong with just hanging as they are now. it's how you are happy with them. No judgments here! They are your quilt tops to do with as you please!

wolfkitty
Old 07-16-2011, 03:25 PM

Well I'm just going to say it: Life (IMHO it's God) has a way of dealing with those who speak with disdain- it's called "what goes around comes around". I realize it's easier to say don't give that person another thought than it is to actually do it, but please try. Art is in the eye of the beholder and considering some of what I have seen called " Art" ppffffftttt on unquilted tops. Some shops and LAQs will rent time on a longarm. If this is something that ever interests you check it out. Otherwise enjoy your art whatever form it takes!
Old 07-16-2011, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Lots of quilters enjoy the piecing more than the quilting. GOOD FOR YOU that you don't shove them in a corner as a UFO and instead display them!!
Exactly! and ditto Cybrarian too!

I'll bet there's plenty of quilters who do just the tops, for them the piecing is the best part.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:32 PM

Let's see some pictures of those tops!!! Bet they're beautiful!!!
Old 07-16-2011, 03:34 PM

Apparently there are at minimum 120 people who would rather quilt than piece cause that's how many unquilted tops I sold online last year. There's room in the quilt world for everyone, even those who communicate disdain.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:35 PM

What? You mean you dare to enjoy a work of art that isn't framed in the traditional way?

Well, I'm glad you told me, cuz now I hafta cybersnub ya.
Humph!!!
*spins on heel and walks away*
Old 07-16-2011, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

Some of us are patchwork people and some of us are quilting people (few though). My friend is a fabric person and has pieces of gorgeous fabrics draped where she can see them. It is a good thing we are all different. You excel at patchwork and design. I excel at quilting and enhancing the patchwork with my quilting. It is a good thing we are different or I would be doing the same pattern forever when I do patchwork.

I am a machine quilter. One lady said to me "I don't like machine quilting. It looks like mattress pads. But yours I like. I am surprised."

Another woman I know thinks you must make a pattern exactly like it is shown. You can't change colors ever. There are pockets of thinking that is not artistic and creative. You know quilts must be square. Seams must meet. No raw edges. ETC. Etc. etc.

If you enjoy seeing your beautiful, joyful quilt tops hanging, then hang them. Even though I love the quilting part, I don't see why every top has to be quilted. I don't see why every piece of fabric has to be used. I only see that we need to create beauty and to enjoy it at all stages. That poor other lady, how aweful for her that she must have a quilt finished before she can enjoy it. WE should all keep her in our prayers.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:50 PM

Personally I am pretty happy buying pretty fabric, washing pretty fabric, folding pretty fabric, admiring all my pretty fabric on their shelves. Sometimes I make myself cut into it and make something - sometimes I even finish a quilt. But I really like buying pretty fabric etc.etc. If you like designing and piecing who am I to say anything negative about what you do in your own home!?!??! You just do what you like and don't pay any attention to people like that.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:10 PM

How do they think all those unfinished quilt tops got in grandma's attic all those years ago!
Old 07-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Power Poster

oh my- dont dispair- sometimes people react without really thinking-
i am kind of the same way- in ways- i really don't have as good of excuses as you= since i have a long-arm. but i also have half a dozen or more quilt tops- that have been quilt tops for a long long time-some of them hang here & there- mainly in my sewing and quilting rooms- a few of them i doubt i will ever finish further than they are- and i feel that's ok- a couple of them at times i think i will prehaps quilt one of these days- usually once it's quilted- it's gone- my way of hanging on to them i guess...maybe...never really thought of a need to *justify* my tops- to me they are finished-
you are right= to each their own- unfortunately sometimes people are very narrow minded- and believe only their way could possibly be the acceptable way.