Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Introduce Yourself
  • I want to give it a go... >
  • I want to give it a go...

• I want to give it a go...

Old 07-17-2011, 06:41 AM

Welcome. I have a Janome 6600 and love it. It was bought for my "retirement hobby" and well worth it. Go for it, Mel!
    Old 07-17-2011, 06:42 AM

Ladies, (I assume you are all of the superior gender - lol) your welcome is fabulous. Thank you ever so much.

No - I have the money to spend the $ will come from my savings account. Always handy to have some put away for another day has always been my motto.

I like the idea of trying to trade in my basic Janome, but I don't think the retailers here will be agreeable.

Thanks again for the warm welcome and for the advice.

I'll post some images after I get started. I'm really gonna have to ask many questions - like I don't want to have to send my tops away for quilting - I'd kind of like to do that myself (if I can). This may be the real benefit from attending the local clubs.
    Old 07-17-2011, 06:44 AM
    QKO

Hello and welcome to QB, from western Nevada!
    Old 07-17-2011, 06:57 AM

I love my Janome! Welcome from Kentucky!
    Old 07-17-2011, 07:02 AM

Welcome from coastal central Florida! If your dealer won't take your machine in on trade (and they should) maybe you can sell it at one of your guilds or by an ad in the paper. You can also look for a "pre-loved" (used) machine to lessen sticker shock. If you can sew, you can quilt - both piecing and actual quilting. You will be amazed at how little "free" time you will have once you start to quilt!!!
    Old 07-17-2011, 07:04 AM

Hi Mal, Welcome from New Jersey,

We're always glad to have new quilters join the message board, so much to learn and in such a nice fashion.

Try making some quilts with your new machine and you might be able to do all that you would like, such as free motion. If after a few quilts you think you need more features on your machine, see if your sewing machine dealer will let you trade up to another model. I've found most dealers always try to get their customers to trade up - I know mine does whenever I bring my Pfaff in for maintenance. Have to say last time I did trade up to a newer model and have been very pleased.

May in Jersey
    Old 07-17-2011, 07:09 AM

Hello and welcome from SW FL.

I say go for it also. I learned by watching quilting shows on TV and getting a few books that explained the different cutting and piecing methods. I also had a regular old machine that was over fifty years old and did all right with it.

Then my kids bought me a new machine for Christmas. But to tell the truth, I can't do any more with that than I could with the old one.

So do what you think is best; it's your money. And most important of all, enjoy.
    Old 07-17-2011, 07:17 AM

Howdy! I made my first quilts on a utility sewing machine without all the fancy do-dads. I even free motion quilted several king quilts with that old machine. It can be done( and well enough to win a quilt show ribbon, I might add ).

It's been 9 years since I started and last year I finally did upgrade to a 6600.
    If you're interested in FMQ then a small machine isn't all bad. All the experts will tell you it's easier to just practice on small sandwiches until you feel comfortable. You don't need more harp space for that. Good luck!

Ultimately, the decision is yours. One thing is for certain--the longer you wait and the more money you save, the more options you'll have.
    Old 07-17-2011, 07:20 AM
    saf

Originally Posted by malfromcessnock
    I want to give quilting a go. I began sewing when I was about 10yrs old and when I got married bought a basic Janome machine. I made uniforms for my three girls and when they were ready to leave school I made their formal dresses. Fair to say, I only used the machine when there was a need.

When my eldest daughter moved out, I gave her my machine, the one I bought in 1980. Now my four children have all moved out, I have a yen to sew again.

I am now 57 and single.

I recently bought another basic Janome "my excel" 18W/MW3018 and made dog coats for my two chihuahuas. My intention was to make myself and daughters clothes.

Recently, I have discovered quilting and have done (followed online) two online courses with craftsy.com

I have found two quilting groups in my home town of 22,000

Now, when I follow along with these online lessons and view the many youtube videos on the subject it seems to me I bought the wrong machine. I would like a machine which is good at free motion; has needle up/down; is built for using a walking foot (Janome make a comprimise model for my machine - but when you look at the specs for the Janome walking foot it doesn't say it suits my model)

My youngest daughter is mad with me for wanting buy yet another machine and says you need to be a quilter first before you can justify the purchase. She's a sewer and lives in Melbourne. I live near Sydney.

I need to find something to do now that I am living alone or I think I'll go crazy.

Would any of you care to give me your advice? Should I hold off and become a quilter before making this purchase or should I take the plunge? Is the machine I recently bought adequate for quilting? I'm interested in the Janome 6600P.
    Hello and welcome from the UK! Go for it....you're an adult....its your money and you can be a quilter even without a machine....all it takes is some needles, thread and scissors. Look forward to seeing your first quilt. By the way....what makes you think that quilters are sane? :lol:
    Old 07-17-2011, 07:21 AM

Thank you to everyone again - and the ones who have responded to my thread since my first thank you. I'm so glad to joined you guys, what a friendly bunch you Americans are (I've always found that)

Cherylsea, so is piecing is putting the blocks together, right and quilting is combining the top/batting and back. I think I'm getting into these terms. (It may take me a little while tho')

From the videos I've seen, I'm really looking forward to the piecing and pressing. Does that sound strange?

Do you basically cut your own squares from yardage or do you buy the charm packs, jelly rollls and layer cakes the lessons I've been watching are plugging? The tutor in these lessons is Jenny Doan from Missouri Star Quilt Company.

I'm absolutely new to all this and usual practice is what I want to adopt.