Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help with vintage machines? >

help with vintage machines?

help with vintage machines?

Old 07-28-2011, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by shnnn
I did the same thing... I bought a singer 15-91 instead of a $1000 new machine to quilt on. Be prepared... once the 1st one moves in others tend to follow.
I now sew almost exclusively on the Singer, and have acquired a few other vintage machines... one of which is a Kenmore - it's not a bad machine - and my daughter sews a much straighter seam on it than the Singer - but for some reason I had never even considered trying FMQ on it.

I did finish up a king size quilt on my Singer last week so there is plenty of room - and if the 201 is bigger :thumbup:

ETA-- I think I just remembered the objection to 201 vs 15-91 -- isn't the 201 belt driven rather than solid gears? seems like I remember there being concerns about over heating and not being as strong to handle the bulk... but I think it's all theory since these machines have been around for 100+ years some of them and are still chugging along and have sewed far more difficult things than a quilt sandwich
ok now i'm getting really excited. i emailed her about the antique black singer and asked if it's in good working order and if she would take less then $75 so we shall see what she says! Now i just have to be patient and wait for her email. too bad there is no phone # listed :(
Old 07-28-2011, 07:19 AM

The waiting is horrible isn't it!!
Old 07-28-2011, 07:40 AM

yes it is! i'm not good at being patient
Old 07-28-2011, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

ETA-- I think I just remembered the objection to 201 vs 15-91 -- isn't the 201 belt driven rather than solid gears? seems like I remember there being concerns about over heating and not being as strong to handle the bulk... but I think it's all theory since these machines have been around for 100+ years some of them and are still chugging along and have sewed far more difficult things than a quilt sandwich[/quote]

Well I have a direct drive Singer 201 and I think the one she is looking at might be too. I had a belt driven one but the motor did not work when we bought it and we put it in a treadle base. It treadles very nicely, has the reverse and drop feed dog. (not that I ever plan to free motion on a treadle) I'll ask DH when he comes in for lunch. He was the one that researched it all and told me what he had found. For the longest time he was not hearing me about needing another sewing machine (Singer 201 direct drive). Hmmm maybe could it have anything to do with the 17 or so other vintage sewing machines already living at the house. They all followed a vintage singer 15-91 home. LOL

Singer 201 Pictures taken by seller.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]232840[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-232834.jpe   attachment-232835.jpe  
Old 07-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

I so hope you get this machine. It has an extra large opening, about 2 inches more, so that would be perfect for quilting. It definitely looks like a direct drive. (no Belt)

Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
yes it is! i'm not good at being patient
Old 07-28-2011, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Thanks Charlee! I have both but have not played with the 201 direct drive yet. I do have a 201 in treadle and love that machine. Do you remember why some people do not like using the 201 for quilting? I know I like the extra troath space and hope to quilt on it.
No, I don't know why some people don't like the 201 for quilting...I don't recall hearing of anyone that didn't? (But then again, I miss a lot that happens...stupid job!! ;) )
I remember some people commenting that the bobbins are smaller than the ones used for the 15's so you have to refill/reload more often. And, since they go in horizontal rather than vertical like the 15's, that you have to move the quilt out to get to the bobbin to replace it.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
And, since they go in horizontal rather than vertical like the 15's, that you have to move the quilt out to get to the bobbin to replace it.
Ah hah! I think maybe that's what it was! I knew there was a reason, but it's been a while since I read up on the whosits and whatsits of the different machines

and I think once you let one in the house it sneaks all it's friend in too, they seem to just show up!
Old 07-28-2011, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

I remember some people commenting that the bobbins are smaller than the ones used for the 15's so you have to refill/reload more often. And, since they go in horizontal rather than vertical like the 15's, that you have to move the quilt out to get to the bobbin to replace it.[/quote]

Thanks quiltncowgirl !
Old 07-28-2011, 10:00 AM

I have a 201-3 (not the pot motored more common one). It is so powerful and outstitches my Janome both in speed and ability to handle many layers. It does not growl, balk or veer off seam intersections like my Janome and pieces and quilts beautifully. The feed dogs drop easily, loosen a screw, push the lever, tighten the same screw. I bought a walking foot and a FM foot for it and I love this machine. I just finished FM'ing a full sized quilt and the stitches were even and straight and the bobbin holds twice as much thread as my Janome. My machine was free (daughters cleaning out mom's estate) but I had to spend $70 to get it cleaned and re-wired (cords were rubbery and cracking). I had no trouble moving a large quilt through the harp.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:10 AM

I'm still waiting to hear back about this machine from the seller but I was wondering, if I have to re-wire it is that something I could do myself or do I need to take ie somewhere? How do I find someone who does this?