Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Guild Question #2 >

Quilt Guild Question #2

Quilt Guild Question #2

Old 08-02-2011, 12:11 PM

I take classes periodically to meet new people.

Don't rule out the guild option just because of the horror stories.

You could also start a quilting bee of your own once you find people who share your interests.

Cheers, K
Old 08-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

I don't meet anyone. Don't really feel the need to. I love visiting here and the rest of the time, I'm a rogue quilter on my own.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:15 PM

Have you tried asking if anyone here on the quilting board lives in your area?
If things go as discussed and plans don't change, cbridges and I are going to meet this evening at the local quilt guild and attend our first meeting together. I hope this will be the start of a nice friendship. She had read my profile and PM'd me asking where I lived. We are almost neighbors. As the crow flys our towns are only a few miles away from each other.
Also the LQS is also a great idea, I bet there are few quilters who are like you, looking for a quilting friend. Good luck.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:19 PM

My group meets once a month, and we rotate hostessing duties at our homes. Three years ago, I contacted a vendor because I was interested in purchasing a quilting frame, and she invited me into this group so I could see various machines and frames in action. Since then, I've become friends with all of them and we have a blast! EVERYTHING is voluntary - nobody keeps track of who hosted the last meeting or how many charity quilts you've made. We invite whomever we want and there are no "presidents" or "treasurers". We go to quilt shows together and have a retreat once a year. It is a HOOT.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:20 PM
cjr

Taking a class always a good way to meet people.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Jim

We have a quilt group at our library...no fees...no speakers...just a fun time for everyone to come together and quilt ...work on any project you want..some come for the companionship and sit and crochet or knit...but we are just like souls that enjoy the artistry of quilting. No roll call is made and no one is required to do anything they don't want....We have about 40 to 50 people that have come but usually our twice a month attendance is hitting around 20. Our Library also holds classes from beginners to advanced. It's a great place to start a club and have fun with others that enjoy a hobby that you do
Old 08-02-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy
Your best bet is probably hanging out at a quilt shop or the fabric section of your local store. If you stay there a quilter is likely to come along. You could also post a notice on a bulletin board in either place or make an appeal for other quilters in your general area on this board. The easiest place to meet other quilters is around fabric.
I live in Carroll County, MD. I manage to hit every quilt shop and fabric store within a 60 mile radious at least once a year.
Let me know the next time you stop into Sisto's, I work right across the street.

Um...I guess I meet people like this!
Old 08-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Power Poster

check a lqs or maybe a recreation center in your area
Old 08-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

Have you actually tried a guild in your area? I think most of them are excellent, full of nice friendly quilters. I wouldn't assume the worst without trying them out. There is so much to be gained by guild membership. (Sorry if you have answered this question previously.)
Old 08-02-2011, 04:16 PM

I meet a lot of quilting buddies through my Project Linus chapter. Like minded souls all coming together for a common purpose. My group is wonderful. You might check around and see if there is a Newborns in Need or Project Linus chapter in your area.