Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
what about this Brother for FMQ? >

what about this Brother for FMQ?

what about this Brother for FMQ?

Old 10-21-2011, 10:43 AM
Power Poster

Here's a link to it on Amazon, with reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Brother-PQ1500...9222561&sr=8-1
Old 10-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

I have the Pfaff equivalent of this machine (Grandquilter). It is a mechanical machine that only does straight stitch but it does those really fast. Nice throat opening. It takes a lot of oil and you need to figure out the tension settings and setup that suits that machine. Large bobbin - helps to have the extension guide to insert/set the bobbin. As far as I know it is not very picky with thread choices. Price is great.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
http://www.brother-usa.com/homesewin...D4Y6nUXA.email

a lady here in OK has one she used twice when she bought it..decided it was NOT for her and it has been in a closet ever since...
she is asking $500 for it...

any thoughts, comments, suggestions???

I am looking for something to use just for FMQ!
I have a Viking Megaquilter that I have been using on my quilt frame until I could afford something with more than 9" of quilting space.....I also have a Brother which I like very much, one thing I noticed on this particular machine is that it does NOT have the needle UP/Down function and that to me has been very important to be able to get your bobbin thread on top of the quilt sandwich as you start each run! Now if you have really long arms and don't mind using the hand wheel on the back of the machine - then go for it, but that particular feature would be a deal breaker for me! Good luck in your search.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:12 AM

I just bought this machine. I love it from what I have used it for thus far. It sews soooo much faster than my old machine. I paid 350. for mine used from a sewing machine shop. I have had problems with thread breaking but the guy will fix that for me when I take it in. Mine has the needle threader that I finally figured out how to use. :) I think I like that feature the best.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Lea125
I just bought this machine. I love it from what I have used it for thus far. It sews soooo much faster than my old machine. I paid 350. for mine used from a sewing machine shop. I have had problems with thread breaking but the guy will fix that for me when I take it in. Mine has the needle threader that I finally figured out how to use. :) I think I like that feature the best.
ohhh could you let me know what he says, I've got mine sewing great on the frame, tension is lovely, i'm moving fluidly and the needles aren't breaking (bought the recommended ones from usa) i'm using polyester serger thread as the YLI quilting thread kept breaking...this is breaking less but still once every run of the frame...would be great to know what a dealer recommends
Old 10-21-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by me0wp00
ohhh could you let me know what he says, I've got mine sewing great on the frame, tension is lovely, i'm moving fluidly and the needles aren't breaking (bought the recommended ones from usa) i'm using polyester serger thread as the YLI quilting thread kept breaking...this is breaking less but still once every run of the frame...would be great to know what a dealer recommends
I'll let you know what he says. I've tried everything suggested to me from an earlier topic I started on here and nothing has worked. Feel free to PM me if I forget. I hope to have it in mid week.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:46 AM

I have this machine, love it.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
A friend just bought and it is almost identical to my Juki 98-TLQ and 2010 excluding the needle threader. Never been able to get my needle threader to work and many I talked to have same issue with Juki so don't hold that against it. We've sat the machines side by side and they are pretty much equal in use and design. I have a 98TLQ for piecing and a 2010 on my frame and I think it's a pretty even machine. If you can get it for $500 I'd jump. Any chance you can sew with it prior to sale and make sure everything works?
the lady that has it is someone I have known for a few years so I know the machine will be GOOD..but to make sure...since she has not run it in over 2 years, she is taking it in to get a D&C done on it..ehhehe
Old 10-21-2011, 02:09 PM

That is the machine I used for FMQ until I bought my HQ16.

started using it again a couple of weeks ago for some very small projects.
Go for it!!
Old 10-21-2011, 02:16 PM

I used the YLI varigated on mine, thread only the first and third hole, skip the middle one. I used at least a size 14 needle. I kept a small sandwich to check tension on, with each bobbin change. I love the needle threader, works the best of any others I have.

Originally Posted by me0wp00