Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wash-away applique sheets >

Wash-away applique sheets

Wash-away applique sheets

Old 11-20-2011, 09:45 AM

Thank you for letting us that have never heard of it know that it is out there. I sure will be trying it.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:48 AM

It's not new been out for several months now.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:56 AM

WATCH OUT! I used these on my PP coasters and the printer ink bled through to the fabric. Its ok for darker fabrics but not for light fabrics. Just use with caution and pre-test. And yes, the paper does dissolve quite nicely if left in the water. I just wish I would have had better results.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:05 AM

I use them for paper piecing - no more paper to remove!
Old 11-20-2011, 10:19 AM

I'm not sure I understand how you use this product in hand applique.

You would print out the shapes and then cut on the lines, right? Then you press them to the wrong side of the fabric and cut around the shape, leaving a turn-under allowance?

If I have that right, then my next question is what advantage does it give you when you're sewing the piece to the background? Is it stiff enough that it gives you a "solid" edge to turn the fabric against?

Is it also stiff enough so that you could then press the seam allowance to the back of the piece? If so, this might be just the thing for me.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

I read to use the lightest possible colored ink. Just a dark enough color to be able to see, but a pale pastel if at all possible.
Also use the Draft Quality setting on your printer, it will only use 1/2 or less of the normal amount of ink, and that will help with the bleeding too
Old 11-21-2011, 03:48 AM
Banned

Sounds interesting, I'm going to check it out. Thanks
Old 11-21-2011, 04:07 AM

My understanding is "yes" to all of your questions. I know it's not totally "new" and has been out for a few months, but my LQS owner had not heard of it til I read about it in Quilters Newsletter and told her about it. It is marketed as an applique tool, not for paper piecing. And you use it like freezer paper only you leave it in and then wash. No more digging the paper out before closing up the appliqued seam.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I am currently working on a pp quilt by Judy Niemeyer that has applique on it. I'm not nearly to that part, but I read ahead to see her directions, and she says that she tried a couple of the different rinse-away stabilizers and they didn't rinse away as well as she wanted. She continued to use and recommend them, but recommends that you cut away all the excess, leaving only a small strip under the folded back edges of the piece. That way there's not so much left to be rinsed away.
This makes sense. I cut away all excess on the dissolve sheet that I use on my machine embroidery or else it seems to make the fabric a little gummy when rinsed.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:27 AM

Someone say again....it irons on like freezer paper?? That I'd love to see!,Way cool...I've put it in my amazon shopping cart..will wait until the order qualifies for free shipping.