Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need Your Help - Dog With Fleas >

Need Your Help - Dog With Fleas

Need Your Help - Dog With Fleas

Old 04-05-2012, 03:51 AM

Garlic in his food. Check with your vet though. Yes you need monthly preventative pills for fleas and tiks. Expensive and worth it!
Sand
Old 04-05-2012, 03:58 AM

While clearing out the flea infestation, buy a couple of extra flea collars. Cut the end off and put in your sweeper(s) an inch or two will do. store the rest of the collar in a zip lock bag and do this whenever you change the sweeper bag or empty it. Helps keep things under control once you have them all cleaned out.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:08 AM

The vet can give you a medicine called "Comfortis". This will result in great relief for you pet with all of the fleas gone within a short period of time. You take care of the mechanical process of vacuuming and possibly using a light spray around and outside areas you think may be hot spots with a product like precor. I think precor has a new name but it is a growth regulator and will stop the flea cycle. Check with your local feed store for the growth regulator.

In this day and age you can effectively eliminate those buggers. Best of luck to you and your pets! Hope this can help a little.

(ps, no offense to sandygirl, but I think garlic is culumative in canines and is not good for them, just like onions are not good for them)
Old 04-05-2012, 04:43 AM

This is a very interesting thread! I have a cat and a dog. I can get rid of the fleas for a while, but as soon as I stop the frontline theya re right back. 3 months of no fleas, then Whop! back they come. Where were they for the 3 months. I thought they couldn't live without the animal to feed from? Just random thoughts.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:00 AM

Thanks for all the great information. Hubby has just gone to the vet to get the Comfortis pill. Will let you know how it works out. Keeping my fingers crossed. It will be wonderful to see him be able to lay down and be going at himself all the time.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Lois-nounoe View Post
I had done everything last summer for my cats. Nothing worked. Two are alergic to any kind of insectiside. Dawn is the best thing I have used and I spray the carpets with the Enforcer from Wal Mart. The cats are doing much better and I use a flea comb on them to get the fleas that remain off. I also found if you put a white bowl with a little water and a couple of drops of dish soap on your floor at night with a small llight over it the fleas will go in and drown! I paid $30 bucks for the Black Jack flea Beacon and all it cought was a couple of flies, a couple of crickets and my little cat who was after the crickets and flies (twice)! Bowl of water worked much better and it was FREE!!!! LOL
Poor little cat! My husband's grandmother used onions to get rid of fleas from in and around her home one time. I don't know if you're desperate enough for your home to smell like onions, but it is a cheap repellant. You can quarter the onions and toss them outside around the foundation of your home, etc. And if desperate enough (or you just like the smell of onions) you can put them under furniture in your house.

I do sympathize with you, I myself am battling fleas this year. My husband's grandmother lives next door to us and has a miniature daushound who up until recently has been infested with fleas. And I have two cats, both of which are indoor cats. Well, the fleas in our yard are horrible, but getting better after putting down lime. One of my cats escaped outside and when she came back in, she brought the fleas in with her. Dawn dish detergant is safe to bathe your animals in, but I can't use it because I'm allergic to Dawn. And, unfortunately, both of my cats hate baths so it's becoming more and more painful for me to bathe them. They hiss, claw, and sometimes bite now. Bad little kitties.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:45 AM

Fleas in your yard live on anything else alive - birds, mice, squirrels, etc. You find them in the sand at the beach. They are as plentiful as mosquitos.

Last edited by TanyaL; 04-05-2012 at 05:49 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:57 AM

OH, check for online coupon!!!!!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:24 AM
kso

Originally Posted by COYOTEMAGIC View Post
To kill the fleas in your carpet and other things, Diamateous Earth, very similar to the stuff used in pool filters. It dries out their bodies and eggs. Get the organic kind, doesn't include Silicon dioxide which is hard on the lungs.

To keep fleas off your dog once they have been dipped or other treatment, cider vinegar in the water, crushed matchheads and garlic in their food.
Only use FOOD GRADE diatomaceous earth! Anything else can poison your pets. Sprinkle liberally on their bedding and rub into their coat. Vacuum and brush out.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:37 AM

If you can get eucalyptus leaves and crush them and put in in bedding it works, also the oil works, fleas don't like the smell!