Thrift store find for $30!

Old 04-22-2012, 09:08 AM

Great find!!!!
Old 04-22-2012, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Christine- View Post
THIS WAS IT!!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

By the way, I googled sewing machine steve and thought you were nuts for a minute. The first site I found this youtube video... warning, if you have an 11 year old son you homeschool (I.e.: my kind of humor) you will need to put your depends on before watching.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8R_z...layer_embedded

Skip to the 1.35 minute, and start watching from there to find the "sewing machine"
At this very moment, I have a cub scout troop of 11-12 yr olds in my living room replaying this video for the third time, much hilarity ensues at my house this afternoon. They went on a camping trip this weekend in the pouring rain (the dad, not the mom, although I'm sure you figured this out). So we're going to learn how to repair tents with mom's Singer 15-91 later.

(No one, upon fear of death, approaches the Belvedere.)

Last edited by Christine-; 04-22-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:12 PM

Can someone help me figure something out? "Bell" sews a beautiful straight stitch and zig zag. But I can't get any of the decorative stitches to stitch. I'm missing something.

Here's what I know so far...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]329858[/ATTACH]

The stitch width needs to be on "F" to change to a decorative stitch.
The needle left-center-right is the upper right slide button, which is color coded, and I can match any color coded decorative stitch with the needle bar.

But when I switch to any of the decorative stitches none of them stitch. The machine stitches a zig zag for every decorative stitch. The machine stitch length is set to 16 stitches per inch.

Any ideas???

[ATTACH=CONFIG]329864[/ATTACH]

I stop by the thrift store every chance I get and today there was a beautiful Belvedere Adler 950-B gleaming at me. I've googled and yahoo'd the Belvedere Adler but can't find any information about this machine.

I can't tell it was ever used! The machine is immaculate, not a scratch on it anywhere. The paint and the chrome is beautiful, almost like looking at a 57 Chevy! The entire machine is metal, not a bit of plastic on it anywhere. It has decorative stitches, l-c-r needle, a 4-step button hole and you should see the innards, just like the day it was born.

Even the foot plate is like brand new. There were no attachments or manual, but the bobbin case was there as well as the all-purpose foot. The poor thing was bone dry so of course I slathered it will oil. The table is the original but someone thought it needed a thick ugly coat of white paint. I'll remove the paint with a paint remover and see if I can restore it to the original finish.

Boy you should hear her hum! The picture doesn't do the chrome justice, it's beautiful.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]329662[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails controlssm.jpg   innardssm.jpg  
Old 04-22-2012, 04:47 PM

Yippee!! I figured it out. After choosing the decorative stitch I want, I need to move the stitch width from "F" to "0".

I"m soooo excited!!! Happy dance!!! Wow, this is going to be a fun machine. I'm putting it in my long arm quilting room and will use it often! Some day I might find a manual but I know how it functions so I'm happy!

I'm adding labels since it's impossible to find info on this machine! Belvedere Adler 950-B manual sewing machine. I hope this helps someone else!

http://quiltdasher.blogspot.com

Last edited by Christine-; 04-22-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:25 AM

It looks interesting - would just be fun to see what all the gadgets and buttons do. :-)

Mary
Old 04-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

It looks in perfect condition, you are so lucky to get it. Beautiful.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:18 PM

What a pretty machine, and all metal. Nice find!
Old 04-23-2012, 12:27 PM

great find! Wow she's a beauty!
Old 04-23-2012, 12:32 PM

THIS WAS IT!!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

By the way, I googled sewing machine steve and thought you were nuts for a minute. The first site I found this youtube video... warning, if you have an 11 year old son you homeschool (I.e.: my kind of humor) you will need to put your depends on before watching.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8R_z...layer_embedded

Skip to the 1.35 minute, and start watching from there to find the "sewing machine"
I clicked on your link, Christine, and then looked at some of the other videos that popped up. Check out "The Secret Life of Machines - the Sewing Machine" parts 1 thru 4. It's a fascinating look at the history of the sewing machine (honest, it really is fascinating) and how sewing machines work. Entertaining and educational. Don't think your boy scouts would like it though!
Old 04-25-2012, 01:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pam S View Post
I clicked on your link, Christine, and then looked at some of the other videos that popped up. Check out "The Secret Life of Machines - the Sewing Machine" parts 1 thru 4. It's a fascinating look at the history of the sewing machine (honest, it really is fascinating) and how sewing machines work. Entertaining and educational. Don't think your boy scouts would like it though!
I haven't looked at the videos. My husband insisted that our boys learn to use a sewing machine before they used a power saw - at least you only get inoculated with a sewing machine - a saw you can lose parts. For YEARS only tailors sewed mens clothing. Boys can make their own camping gear or tool holders or a good pair of shorts. My son wanted fancy cowboy shirts so I taught him how. Of late he has been thinking of things he can sew. I showed Muv's video about the Singer 15 to a young male friend of our family. After he watched the video he said he thought he could try to sew. Then he watched the rest of her videos. You might be surprised what the boys will do if you present it in the right way.