Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • If you were going to invest in a higher-end machine ... >
  • If you were going to invest in a higher-end machine ...

• If you were going to invest in a higher-end machine ...

Old 04-25-2009, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sanveann
    what would you pick?

I love my basic little Janome, but I've been longing after something with a few more bells and whistles. I don't really NEED it, but it's something I aspire to! Maybe as a reward for myself if I lose some of this baby weight ...

I think both the Pfaff 2048 and the Janome 6600P look really good. They both have really good reviews and are similar priced. I hear the IDT on the Pfaff is awesome ... but I've been really pleased with my Janome, too. They seem like they come with a similar number of accessories and both have pretty much everything I'd want in a machine.

Any thoughts?
    Don't know anything about the Janome 6600P, but I do know about the Pfaffs.

About 2 years ago, I replaced my Viking 6370 (1970's vintage) with a 2054 that was traded in at the local Pfaff dealer. I just love it. I now would not have anything else. The IDT is awesome and I use it all the time. This year I replaced my older Babylock Embroidery machine with the Pfaff 2170. It too was used and came with the Grand Hoop and software.

I agree with JoanneS - I have no problems with thin or very thick fabrics. The pressure of the pressure foot seems to handle it both.

Ok - now with that being said - you ought to purchase a machine that you can get lessons on and help with. The bottom line is that all the company's who make "high end" machines, make good machines. It is all about the bells and whistles. You should go and try both if you can. Also do not hesitate the ask "What type of deal will you give me?" They may throw in software, feet, discount the price, or even store credit to purchase accessories (I never knew that they did that until I worked for Viking.). It depends on how "hungry" they are.

Best of luck with your choice - let us know what you chose!!
    Old 04-25-2009, 02:24 PM
    Power Poster

You don't h ave to wait, go buy the high end Kenmore (made by White who makes Janome). A guild member has one and it sews and has all the features of a high end Bernina. And doesn't cost so much that you will feel like you need to keep it forever.
    Old 04-25-2009, 05:50 PM

Hi,

Do you have any idea what model this is? I too, am considering another sewing machine, but can't afford the Berninas (have the old 730 and love it, but no bells/whistles), might be considering the Baby Lock Quest Plus, haven't yet seen if there is a Janome in my price range, under 1,000. I currently have a Baby Lock Decorator's Choice, and would like to have a few more pluses to make quilting a little easier and quicker.

Any info would be helpful about the Kenmore, thanks.
    Old 04-25-2009, 11:55 PM

Quiltncrazy - certainly agree about servicing - I had no problems, but after 2 years of daily use, it is advisable to have a service. No problems found and for a small cost the machine has been thoroughly and competently checked by a professional.
    These machines are double the price here than in the US, and I couldn't buy another!
    Old 04-26-2009, 10:29 AM

If I had to vote, I'd go for the Janome6600. I have the Janome6500 and love it, don't know if I will ever upgrade to the 6600 cuz I am so happy with the one I have.

Oh, and I love that the Janome has a larger neck area than most other machines. I don't know how much quilting space is available on the Pfaff. That might be a consideration.

warm quilt hugs, sue
    Old 04-26-2009, 11:02 AM

I have an old Janome, so simple with a free arm. For Birthday and Christmas last year, My Sweetie bought me a 6600 and the table to go with it.
    I cannot say enough praise for the simplicity of this machine and I've had a Bernina before. Dollar for dollar this is an excellent buy.
    Old 04-26-2009, 02:30 PM

:) A Viking is well worth your time to check it out.

I have had many different machines in my day's... Last 20 + years sold on the Vikings. Have the #1 and had the 300th anv edition before that.
    Have the #1+ 5years later because I wanted to embroider. Then years later got the Designer and now this past year have gotten the newest Diamond Designer. So easy to use. Go to www.husqvarnaviking.com all the machine and what each do are right there. They are so great. I teach sewing and they had machine's there, older Phaff's. I have worked with many machines through the years and it stumped me. Had to have a Phaff owner come adjust it. I now take my Viking and whoever is my student get's to sew on my machine. So much easier. I still have a Necchi Logica, one of the first computer machines they came out with but it has 103 sq in of quilting space. ANd some fancy sts my othere machines do not have. But again I ams sold 150% :9) om Vikings. BUT not all are the same in the Viking line either. Do not under buy but on the same hand don't over buy LOL it id fabric money's Have a great day and hope you fine the right machine.... Connie
    Old 04-26-2009, 04:04 PM

I think if I were to buy an upgrade sewing machine, I would really consider the Bernina 830. Looks really nice. Go to the website and check it out.
    Old 04-26-2009, 04:09 PM

The lady at the shop wanted to show me the Bernina 830. I saw the price tag and said, "No, there's not even any point -- my DH would die laughing if I ever asked him to buy me a machine that pricey!"
    Old 04-26-2009, 05:05 PM

I have the Janome 1600P and the 11K and one of their sergers. I love Janome! Go for the 6600. Or like the lady said, go to Sears and get the high end machine. It is indeed the same as Janome but not as expensive.